Edge container tabs

Iron Contributor

Hello everyone.
One of the things I like in the Firefox is the possibility of using containers.
Mozilla have two containers add-on's, Facebook Container (exclusively to the Facebook) and Multi-Account Containers.
The first is used to prevent Facebook tracking our online activity by creating an isolated and exclusive environment. Where every cookie, every tracking script, APIs that Facebook creates / uses / have, are isolated inside the container.
And the second, is almost the same thing as the first, works by creating an isolated environment as well, but is for any website.

The containers are, a some kind, sandboxes.

I'd like to see the support for this in the Edge.
Microsoft need to bring this to the Edge, but in a natively way without the need of installing any extension.
And the option to create a container tab can be placed next to the profile avatar, for example.

By the way, Chrome/Chromium do not have support for this.

This is a very very useful.

About Multi-Account Containers: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/introducing-firefox-multi-account-containers/
I do not know if I can put this kind of links, but, if I broke any rule, I'll remove this post.

90 Replies
I have to open Firefox solely for the purpose of opening social media because of a lack of this feature. I am PARTICULARLY stringent against letting Facebook and Twitter a single piece of information about my browsing habits. Would LOVE to have such a thing in Edge. I upvote this.
This is exactly why I'll still be using Firefox on Windows 11. Please make this happen.
the only thing keeping me on firefox amd off of edge

This is biggest reason preventing me from switching over from firefox to edge. I really hope that Microsoft brings this functionality to Edge. It has to be native to Edge without having to install any extensions.

I'm forced to use Edge at work :crying_face: (long time Firefox user). Doing stuff (eg O365/Azure) as an admin is painful. I can use incognito mode but it has disadvantages like it doesn't remember passwords/logins and doesn't remember history/URLs (by design). Firefox's multi-account containers do not have these deficits.

@SpitFire-666 For your scenario though, Edge profiles are ideal.

I wonder when this will be given some attention.

The uservoice page linked a few years ago is no longer up and it seems this is still a desired feature nearly 3 years later.

We use AD in our environment and for administration of Azure / M365 we use a separate account. Because of this, it is a **major** hassle to use edge for any administration since every single time it's a tedious process of logging out, getting an error, playing around with edge for a bit, and signing in to the other account, tehn repeating every time i relaunch Edge. I generally will use Firefox for all of this, but there are some things (like ediscovery) that I've found don't work as intended outside of edge.

This is definitely not a unique use case and anything to accommodate users paying big money for MS's platforms would seem to make sense.

Yup, adding my vote for this Edge feature. Containers are a MUST have for modern day browsers.
I would love to switch to Edge, but I can't work without this feature.
Yes, please add container support!
up for for this feature
+1
One feature I use with Firefox a lot and it's the only reason why I don't even try edge currently.
This only works if you set up your user profiles in Edge **REALLY** carefully otherwise all of your profiles share the same favorites, history, and password saves. (Side note: it is absolutely possible to say no to every single privacy option on Edge and Chrome and still have them log your favorites and save your passwords, just say no). On both Chrome and Edge if you use profile switching often the browser will start to group the profiles together and eventually you will find those profiles on your profiles pages within the Google and Microsoft website profiles under 'other accounts'.
Container tabs are the only reason I won't switch from Firefox.
Since it's been so long and nothing on the news, I will second this. The feature on Firefox is the last reason that is preventing me from swithing. For a time I gladly used Microsoft Edge, however I cannot justify using any browser that does not support that feature.
Yes we do need this.

Arc browser is chromium based and it kind of has this feature. I think this should be possible in MS Edge.

isnt this the robin tabs thing? edge://flags/#edge-robin