Edge container tabs

Iron Contributor

Hello everyone.
One of the things I like in the Firefox is the possibility of using containers.
Mozilla have two containers add-on's, Facebook Container (exclusively to the Facebook) and Multi-Account Containers.
The first is used to prevent Facebook tracking our online activity by creating an isolated and exclusive environment. Where every cookie, every tracking script, APIs that Facebook creates / uses / have, are isolated inside the container.
And the second, is almost the same thing as the first, works by creating an isolated environment as well, but is for any website.

The containers are, a some kind, sandboxes.

I'd like to see the support for this in the Edge.
Microsoft need to bring this to the Edge, but in a natively way without the need of installing any extension.
And the option to create a container tab can be placed next to the profile avatar, for example.

By the way, Chrome/Chromium do not have support for this.

This is a very very useful.

About Multi-Account Containers: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/introducing-firefox-multi-account-containers/
I do not know if I can put this kind of links, but, if I broke any rule, I'll remove this post.

90 Replies
Would love for this feature to be possible MS make it so! - its the only reason why I use firefox. how else can I sign into 5+ different D365 instances in a day?

Yes, you are right.
Containers are much more than only privacy.
They are very useful for productivity, like you said.

The problem is, chromium do not support containers. They need to dig in the code and changing a bunch of things and all the relative code.

And, apparently, the Edge team do not have any interest to do that.
So far they have not yet shown any interest.

I would really really like this feature - I used it a lot on Firefox and miss it!

YES!!!

Please, please, PLEASE! With Scroogle actively sabotaging any non-Chromium based browsers to bog down performance for services like YouTube, and outright refusing to support them for something like Earth, I really did not enjoy my recent months with Firefox, even through the rest of the browser works beautifully on every other website.

BUT it is the Container Tabs feature that I found the most fundamental browser extention after uBlock, HTTPS everywhere and similar extensions, especially for those extremely annoying social network "log in with" buttons.

Microsoft is better than Google in terms of privacy, and having container tabs for terrible terrible trackers like them is a must have for Chromium Edge.

We shall no longer be #scroogled! Please bring container tabs to Chromium Edge and restore our faith in online privacy at least a little bit.

The new Edge does allow you to create multiple profiles and to sign in using an AAD account but it's not the same as containers in Firefox, profiles were meant to distinct between stuff like 'work' and 'personal'... I don't want to create 10 profiles to manage 10 tenants and then have 10 instances of Edge open with each their own settings, synchronization, history, ... 

True,
I use containers in Firefox and now I can't stop using them because they are quite useful and leaving them would mean i need to change my browsing behavior.
something that I normally would do in Firefox in 2 minutes, takes 10 minutes to do in Edge.

I totally agree with this. This is really the key feature that currently keeps me with Firefox over the new Edge, which I feel is a really solid browser so far. If they could add that feature in  I would really consider switching over to Edge as my main browser. I already have my other two key extensions available.

++ Would love to see this feature in Edge.

I think the Edge developer user voice feature link is now dead, giving me a 404 and "This UserVoice instance is no longer available."

As many others have said here...

This is really the key feature that currently keeps me with Firefox

As we have progressed though the Insider releases, Edge has continued to improve greatly. I am far and away ready to adopt it as my daily driver except for the fact that it is missing this CRITICAL productivity and privacy tool that I rely on in Firefox daily. Until and unless Edge incorporates equivalent functionality, I do not see the Firefox audience being open to shifting over. 

and now firefox just released another big must-have update to their container feature: container sync.  you create containers on one machine, and it automatically syncs everywhere.  

I think this could be a great feature that would certainly attract a lot of Firefox users. I know Edge has native tracking already, but as others have said, it's great for privacy AND productivity.
Yes, this way the trackers on the Internet, even if slipped past the tracking prevention of Edge, won't be getting anything, because all the social websites are kept in a container.

Hi,
have a look at this
Use Automatic Profile Switching in Edge to create a Container like experience
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/smart-idea-use-automatic-profile-switching-in-edg...

Thank you! I second this suggestion. I will port to Edge when container tabs become available.

I second this suggestion.

Eagerly waiting for this feature. This feature was the sole reason for using firefox.

I'd like to add my vote for container tabs. Incredibly useful in Ops and Development when you want/need to be logged into the same site with multiple credentials.

@hferreira107 

This request always seems to fall on deaf ears. Don't know if it is possibly because Chromium is not technically/mechanically able to imitate this SUPER VALUABLE function, or what. Having started using the new Edge since day one of the Edge Insider releases, I have certainly been patient. Edge has come along in these past many months and really is a great browser. However, like many here that have become dependent upon containers, I too have returned to Firefox as my daily browser. Three factors contributed to this decision actually:

• Lack of Containers
  • Janky scrolling (Edge's best smooth pales in comparison to Firefox)
  • Having Microsoft's own Daily Rewards fail in Edge while working in Firefox!

Don't plan on giving up on Edge, but it simply isn't functional enough yet to be a default browser. Being put off from using it even more lately due to the constant bombardment of messages to switch to Edge.

upvote for containers and container synchronization

Containers are one of the big keeping me on Firefox right now, tbh.  There are other smaller reasons, of course, but Edge seems pretty darn good otherwise.

Woww, I thought I was the only one. Edge is excellent but I'm sticking to firefox because of that containers thing.