Edge Collections: Feature request and bug/problem report

MVP
  1. Sharing a collection only has 2 options and it's "Send to Excel or Word". it only uses the online Excel/Word regardless of whether or not the users has the Microsoft Excel/Word programs installed on their computers. Addressed
  2. Add an option to share collections to OneNote. Addressed
  3. add an option to let us Email a collection.
  4. Let the collections identify and detect the installed version of Word, Excel, OneNote and preferably use them instead of opening their online versions, which should be the last resort.
  5. Collections Don't work with websites that require the user to sign in before seeing the contents. collections only rely on publicly available contents. so for example when using a private group or page on Social media, when using WhatsApp for web, when using Telegram web, using online Forums and thousands more services that require user login, Collections are useless in these situations. the solution is instead of just adding a link of the contents to the collection, copy the actual content to the collection, this way even if the original content on the web gets taken down, deletes or becomes unavailable, the users can still access the saved contents on their collection.
  6. When adding/drag&dropping texts to a collection from a rather long page (such as an article in docs.microsoft.com), only the URL of the page where the text was copied from gets added to the collection, Not the exact location of the text. there is No text anchor attached to the text entries in collections. so if i add a paragraph from the middle of a page to my collection, then close that tab and click on the copied text in my collection, it will just reopen that page, it won't show me exactly where the text was copied from, just stays at top of the page. Addressed
  7. add a keyboard shortcut for opening the Collections panel. Addressed
  8. Add a search functionality for the Collections, either from the omnibox or a small search box from the collections panel.

Feel free to add anything else. Thanks Edge team 

19 Replies
I second that. having encountered the same problems (#4 and #6) i agree with this feedback.

I agree especially with number 2. I was a bit surprised when I clicked share on a couple items I added to the collections flyout and pressed share button with only one option. send to a spreadsheet in excel.

I'd like also to have the ability to resize the flyout. I think it is a bit wide and would love to be able to resize the width to whatever I wanted it to be.

Dennis5mile

Thank you @HotCakeX for jumping into Collections so quickly.  We are definitely still working on the feature set. These are great observations and suggestions.  I have alerted the Product Manager who owns the Collections feature to this thread, and they will be reading it with great interest, and probably going to want to follow up with questions to dig deeper on some of your comments. Thanks - Elliot

Hi, that sounds great, thank you very much!

@Elliot Kirk 

Some things in Collections I've run across.

For shopping, when adding a page to a collection I think this should also bring the price of the item along with the item.   The spreadsheet should also include the price.  There should also be a way to sort the Collections list, whether that be drag and drop up or down or list price low to high or list alpha.....

Collections.jpg

Next shopping for truck parts as I fix/repair a truck.  Add item to collection, but instead of adding the page header and page number, it adds the "Tab" title and that is all.   Adding the shopping cart is useless as there  is nothing there and it will not save the items you had in it when you were logged in...

Collections 2.jpg

Grocery shopping at walmart, add items to a new collection goes well, except that it does not copy the price correctly and all items are priced at $1.98, which I would love if it were correct LOL.... 

Collections Walmart.jpg

I also think we should be able to resize the width of the collections column.

Will be doing more and adding more to this as I go..

Dennis5mile

@HotCakeX 

@Elliot Kirk  @HotCakeX   Now with Send to word added....

Collections Word.jpg

Results are the collection gets opened in a word doc, with title and links to each item as you can see from Pic above, which I guess is ok, however, if you wanted to combine different collections into one word doc, you have to do it manually as there is not a choice to open/append it to an already existing doc.....   I think there should be a choice; Send to previous word collection doc/ yes - no and if yes then open a list of previously created word collection documents.  If no, then create a new word doc.  And maybe giving a choice to create just a doc or create a table.   Now I know this could become very complicated in coding, but Just some thoughts....  

Next I'd like to see maybe adding the ability to send to an email.......

Dennis5mile

Yeah I tried the share to word option, it's decent.
i think there needs to be an option to select multiple collections and export them all at once to a single document, whether it's excel or word.

i think the Edge collection will have a hard time keeping the track of previously exported documents because if i share a collection to word/excel and then move that file from cloud to my local computer or somewhere else, Edge browser won't know its new location so it won't be able to pull up a list of previously exports documents and use the same document.

@HotCakeX wrote:

i think the Edge collection will have a hard time keeping the track of previously exported documents because if i share a collection to word/excel and then move that file from cloud to my local computer or somewhere else, Edge browser won't know its new location so it won't be able to pull up a list of previously exports documents and use the same document.

@HotCakeX 

Well, not really.  If it does a search much like the photos app or the music app does when you start them, they search for newly added photos or music according to which program you open.  If it does not find the original file in its last location, then it Searches your entire system, and also gives you the option to add locations (OneDrive, Cloud, etc...) for it to search for items you want it to find then I think it would work well.  Though it could become a system resource hog during searches.

But I do also like your idea of "an option to select multiple collections and export them all at once to a single document, whether it's excel or word."  In the long run this would probably be the simplest way to go.....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile@HotCakeX, @Neda_Meraj, this is great feedback!  I walked through much of this on Friday with a PM who works on the Collections feature.  We are still in the early days, and we hope to continue to make the feature better and more intuitive.  Your feedback will help us greatly in this pursuit.  Thank you all very much! - Elliot

Thank you very much!

No existe una opción para poder cambiar las colecciones a un perfil diferente. Colecciones fue lanzado antes que la capacidad de cambiar de perfil las ventanas del explorador. Hoy no es posible llevar las colecciones al perfil correcto.

Hi,
I'm sure if they wanted they could do it, wouldn't matter which feature came first :)

@HotCakeX  Hey I agree with all of which you have mentioned.

But did everybody notice that there is not a 'move' option ?!?!?!

Like moving links and content from one collection to the other?

This is very useful when you added something by mistake to another collection but you closed that page. This 'move' option reduces multiple steps i.e. opening that page and opening the collection and clicking the add current page and deleting the one existing in the wrong collection, right? 

@Mugilan7 

yeah there is no move option but you can copy an item from a collection, paste it in another collection, then delete the original one.

But still, a move option removes unnecessary hassle, right? Switching made easier, right?

Yeah of course :)
Add 'Search in collections from omini search box just like we search favourites' to the above list.