Edge Chromium Dev now unsupported by Google Docs

Iron Contributor

I fired up Google Sheets this morning using Edge Chromium Dev 75.0.139.1 and it now shows as an unsupported browser.

Does anyone else get this?

Edge Chromium unsupported.PNG

15 Replies

@ianwuk  Yes, I get the same message with 139.1 but if I dismiss the message everything seems to work without a problem.  Entering data and having the sheet saved to Drive, etc.

Regards

Eric

Is this related to Ms changong the user agent string to one not supported by Google?

Could we not use a Chrome extension therefore to force change the user agent string?

If so, what would be the updated user agent string to use?

Thanks!

@ianwuk  An extensioin like User Agent Switcher would probably work in Edge C.  As to the actual user agent string I don't have the expertise to type it out but the extension usually has built in strings to choose from.  I would think one that says it is Chrome 69 would work.  That is what I used in Opera to fool a financial site that didn't like Opera.

Regards

Eric

Hi Eric.

I did try such an extension but, like you, I didn't know the latest user agent string to use for Chrome. So, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the message about Edge Chromium being unsupported to go away.

Update for you @Eric__W I seem to have fixed it for now:

1 - Install User Agent Switcher from the Chrome Web Store here

2 - Edit the Google Chrome Windows user agent string to be:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

3 - Set the option inside the User Agent Switcher extension to remember the selected user agent at start-up.

Regards.

This issue still persists in Canary 144.

Hi @davequail 

I advise you to click on "contact an agent by mail " and in the smiley button, in subject, put the file number!

Apologies. Where will I find this file number? Thanks

@davequail Maybe they meant the Edge version number?  Not sure!

@ianwuk   Well done!  It looks like the issue is caused by the Edge version/build number being higher than the current Chrome version numbers.  Using Chrome version 73 in the agent string puts Edge back in the ball park.

Regards

Eric

@Eric__W - Glad I could help!
get rid of all the google thing, MS just using rendering engine is best

@ianwuk 

Chromium Edge's UA string (e.g. for the current Dev build on Windows 10 64-bit):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/75.0.139.1

So it might worth trying simply to drop the Edg bit and enter

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.0 Safari/537.36

into your UA string modifier and see what happens with these awkward Google sites.  

@Noel Burgess  In this case, we have been in contact with Google about this issue and it was a simple mistake that should be fixed later today. Your tip about swapping UA strings is great advice to narrow down issues like this.

We are aware of this issue and are working with the site owners to get it addressed. Thank you for taking the time to try out the Insider channels of Microsoft Edge

@ianwuk  It still shows on Canary build 77.0.186.0 :\