Edge Chrome Profile Sync still not working.

Brass Contributor

Hi,

As recently published in the blog, there are many license options that allow for Edge Chrome browser profile sync. It is no longer restricted to AAD Premium P1 and P2.

Notably among them, Microsoft 365 Business and Enterprise E3 are licenses that were named by the official channels as having the required products to allow syncing Edge Chrome. 

I have access to one each of these 2 licenses in different tenants, and none of them work. All I get is the well-known (for me) error message: 

We can't sign you in right now

Windows Information Protection policy has blocked sign in for your account. For more information, contact your system administrator with the error code below. Error code: -2147024540

I have tried to create new profiles to sync, but so far no go.
Tested with: 
Version 80.0.361.66 (Official build) (64-bit)
Version 81.0.416.20 (Official build) beta (64-bit)

From the documentation: 

Prerequisites

Currently Microsoft Edge sync for Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) accounts is only available for the following subscriptions:

• Azure AD Premium (P1 and P2)
  • Office 365 E3 and above
  • Azure Information Protection (P1& P2)
  • All EDU subscriptions (O365 A1 or above, M365 A1 or above, or AIP P1 or P2 for Students or Faculty)

Azure Information Protection (P1) is included in Microsoft 365 Business, which makes it also an eligible platform.

6 Replies

@Tiago Freire Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry to hear that profile sync isn't working as intended. I passed this along to our Enterprise Profile team, and will let you know if they have any questions or insights.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Tiago Freire I just touched base with the team, and they would love to know more. If you haven't yet, can you please submit feedback with diagnostic data through the browser?

And if you are comfortable doing that, you can add the code that I'm sending you via private forum message. (This will allow the team to find this specific report without having to ask for your name or email address.)

Fawkes (they/them)

@Tiago Freire  Additionally, one more ask from the team: can you please give this solution a try and let us know if that helps? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-troubleshooting#how-do-i-resolve-error-co...

Thanks!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

I finally got it to work, but not without lots of back and forth. I had to bounce between Azure Intune, WIP, and Endpoint Manager, and 3 different documentation pages (branching from the link you sent), to set it up.

I understand that I manage the IT of a small company and do not hold a million Microsoft training courses under my belt, but the process (Edge Chromium specifically) should have a 1-2-3 onboarding wizard that gives the admin reasonable defaults to foster adoption. 

The tools provided are filled to the brim with features, power and flexibility. So much that a small company going from O365 to M365 would have a hard time finding its foot, or would have to shed some cash for an IT pro to set it all up for them. 

On one hand, Edge Chromium sync setup could be a practical example for all the features required to make it work, as a tutorial; But more than that, also a use case where a setup assistant should exist to help the user configure with 3-5 simple steps. 

@Tiago Freire I'm glad to hear that it's now working! But I certainly understand that it can be really frustrating to bounce between multiple sources of documentation. The team has heard your feedback, and is working on getting something even better put together. I'll loop back with you when it's ready!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Tiago Freire To loopback, the team asked me to pass along this recent documentation about WIP. Please let us know if we can assist with anything else!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-security-windows-information-protection

Fawkes (they/them)