SOLVED

Edge cannot translate pages that contain English and another language

Brass Contributor

Edge cannot translate pages that contain English and another language

Check this page for example, the content of the page is Chinese but Edge can't translate it into English

7 Replies

Hi @Mahdi Hosseini 

I'm experiencing the same thing on Edge insider canary Version 80.0.331.0

I think the problem is that Edge cannot recognize the language of the web pages properly.

in the translate pop up:

Annotation 2019-11-15 123006.png

it says "always translate pages from English", so Edge thinks this page's language is English and not Chinese or Mixed. that's why it's failing.

then I tried to trick Edge to think that, okay the page is in English, now translate it to another language, say Russian:

and it could successfully translate all the contents to Russian

Annotation 2019-11-15 123647.png

@Elliot Kirk @josh_bodner 

Yes exactly thank you but Microsoft has to fix this problem I hope this report reaches them
best response confirmed by MissyQ (Microsoft)
Solution

@Mahdi Hosseini We have received similar feedback around translations and are working on improvements based on that feedback. As a temporary work around, try translating the page to another language and back to English.

it seems that in "edge chromium" it does not work again to translate the page into any language, both by selecting the translator button and by selecting the text and clicking translate selected

Microsoft Edge Version 95.0.1020.44 (Official build) (64-bit)

@Deleted - I read the other thread but I'm now sure what you did to resolve the issue. Did it fix itself with the next update or did you have to do something with Application Guard?

@Jason E. Heiser 

Hello 

I did not change anything in the settings.

I didn't even do a system restart – but I did provide diagnostic data to the Edge team.

The Microsoft team fixed the automatic translation after 3 hours - everything is still working!

Best regards

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MissyQ (Microsoft)
Solution

@Mahdi Hosseini We have received similar feedback around translations and are working on improvements based on that feedback. As a temporary work around, try translating the page to another language and back to English.

View solution in original post