SOLVED

Edge Canary (v75.0.127.0) crashes while attempting to scroll through a webpage that is loading.

Copper Contributor

Attempting to scroll through webpages, such as this discussion forum and Reddit, when the webpage is loading causes the browser to crash. 

If any logs are needed to diagnose this issue, i'll be happy to provide them. (Already falling in love with this browser!)

11 Replies
Hi @Olil3, I believe that we are automatically collecting crash data, but you can also file feedback by clicking on the smiley at the top right hand corner of the browser. When you file feedback with the smiley we can also capture some basic telemetry that will make it easier to understand the root cause of crashes like these. Thank you for taking the time to both try our new browser and for offering us this feedback.
Elliot

@Olil3 This^ It is really the only critical error I am continually running into. I am not sure if it is caused by my touchpad signals or something on a particular site but it is consistant and reproduceable. It also makes me very leary of trusting the Canary version to do important work while on this iteration. The tabs do seem to load up fairly accurately upon re starting the browser.

Version 75.0.127.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@Olil3 wrote:

Attempting to scroll through webpages, such as this discussion forum and Reddit, when the webpage is loading causes the browser to crash. 

If any logs are needed to diagnose this issue, i'll be happy to provide them. (Already falling in love with this browser!)

@Olil3 Me too. Edge canary(127v) has crash of quick exit. just i can scrolling page.
Unfortunately, the Edge dev version has no such symptoms. It seems to be crash coming due to flash player.

@Olil3 wrote:

best response confirmed by Eric_Lawrence (Microsoft)
Solution
We have root caused this crash and the fix is out in the .130 Canary release. Thank you for helping us identify this issue.
Could you please tell us what the root cause was?

my story:

For a LONG time I thought I made a mistake with flags. It was trial and error non stop. When I disabled every flag I realised it was a bug with Edge Canary. It's been so annoying. I'd be scrolling through Netflix and bam, crash. I'd be scrolling through Twitter which I was using InPrivate and bam, crash. It's made my face go red. As I'm waiting for the Canary release, right now I'm using the scrollbar and arrow keys.

by the way i can't wait for themes (not that the current theme isn't beautiful) and translation
Could you link to the exact reddit page that causes the crash? I did everything i could to crash Edge canary, from opening +100 (approx) tabs to loading a huge page that has auto scroll. I would like to see if that page can finally crash my Edge canary.
Are you still using 75.0.127.0, HotCakeX? It was fixed in the .130 release.

Also, I was scrolling on this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/apgepg/store_themes_now_use_chromes_native_dark_mode/
with the Reddit Redesign when I first noticed the issue. It was with a Precision Touchpad. There were no issues using middle click auto-scrolling, arrows, touch, scrollbar tracks and the scrollbar thumb. After I finished tinkering with edge://flags in attempt to fix it, I realised it was a bug and it was then that I noticed it happening with other sites (as I mentioned above).
good to know it got fixed.
Edge canary always auto updates so im using latest ver 130.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric_Lawrence (Microsoft)
Solution
We have root caused this crash and the fix is out in the .130 Canary release. Thank you for helping us identify this issue.

View solution in original post