Edge Canary build 77 for Mac CRASHES on launch - Mac OS Mojave

Copper Contributor

Edge Canary build 77 installed today, and crashes on app launch.  Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5.

12 Replies

I get the same issue - the app updated today and now cannot launch at all - at every launch it crashes. Any ideas on how to fix it? And would the auto update work without the app opening?

@harris0n Same issue here. Tried a full uninstall/reinstall, still crashes. 

Yep getting the same issue on with canary 77.200.1906240 on macOS 10.14.5.

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are aware that Microsoft Edge Canary is crashing on launch for some users. We are working on a fix and I plan to have more news within a few hours. Look for a new post from me or one of my colleagues here in the Discussion forum. In the meantime, you will need to use the Microsoft Edge Dev channel instead. 

We apologize for the inconvenience, and as always are thankful to the community for reporting these issues so quickly. 

-David Rubino

Microsoft Edge Team

Thanks @David Rubino appreciate the update. Quick question - given this is crashing - how do we update - once you have a new build out? Would the App update thinggy work? (sorry forget what it is called).

@bahree-007 The automatic update will work, but it may take a few hours to run automatically. The way to get the new build quickly is to download it from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/download. Even though the process is the same as when you first installed, your browsing data and settings will be preserved. 

-David

@David Rubino Hi, I'm encountering the same issue with the latest builds of both DEV and CAN of MacOS  Mojave 10.14.6. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It didn't work.

@David Rubino  I am encountering the same thing as @clementdurandeau after updating to macOS 10.14.6. Both Canary and Dev will sputter and die, leaving me to Force Quit and retry. For reference, I am on an old 27-inch iMac (Late 2013).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@clementdurandeau @terril-dactyl Sorry for the delay here. Normally I'd say "send feedback" but that won't work here if you can't even get the browser to run. I'm following up within the team to see how to best help you. In the meantime, please let me know if it "fixed itself" with the latest Canary build. 

-David

@David Rubino 

Same here on my iMac as well MacBook Air - both are crashing when starting Edge Canary.

Never happened before ....

Process: Microsoft Edge Canary [751]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Edge Canary.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Edge Canary
Identifier: com.microsoft.Edge.Canary
Version: 78.0.256.0 (78.256.1908230)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Microsoft Edge Canary [751]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-08-26 17:27:45.455 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G87)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.6 (16P6568)
Anonymous UUID: 9F5F3661-0DD5-3F37-8B69-7D3B2FED7C5B

Sleep/Wake UUID: 7EF1ECFB-5600-48EF-954D-1496A03F10D9

Time Awake Since Boot: 1800 seconds
Time Since Wake: 1600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 82 Chrome_SyncThread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008

Ditto here, frequent "Application Not Responding" on startup of both the Beta channel and the Dev channel. The various stack traces I've reported to apple seem to indicate a keychain access error of some kind.

It's intermittent, so I'm guessing a race of some kind.

@mkrotscheck 

I had this issue the last couple of weeks with Edge Canary Version and worked with MS support. Finally last week since version update 79.0.285.0 the issue was fixed. But I have the same issue now again with the BETA version, so I simply guess the bug is now shipped to DEV and BETA versions.

Just wait for the next update and it should be fine again. Try Canary in the meantime :)