Edge Canary 95.0.1003.0 spawning multiple new Windows

Iron Contributor

With today's update to Edge Canary 95.0.1003.0 it is spawning multiple new Windows at start up and constantly thereafter after some time delay.

Effectively unusable.

This is even a worse problem than I thought. Now if I close Edge Canary and open Stable, Canary is automatically opening and spawning new windows.

41 Replies
same here
W11 22449
Version 93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit)
For me, the problem seems to accelerate quite rapidly.

Within initial launch of Edge and one minute of use, it managed to loop-create new windows until the plug-ins started crashing and the entire browser chrashed in a glorious out of memory moment.

Unfortunately Edge is entire unusable for me, and nothing will be further tested, until this issue is resolved.

edge canary doesn't pop up again if you force quit it from task manager. if you manually close the windows you have to scroll down and end its background process. it's outstanding that this is the first broken build of canary since I've used it for over a year. 

@PeteGomersall 

I have the same issue but interestingly, even after I temporarily made Firefox the default and closed Canary multiple new windows still spawned.

I resolved my issue temporarily by turning of sync. Once I turned this off it stopped spawning multiple windows. Nothing like coming back with Canary left open in the morning and come home 10 hours later to a bunch of spawned windows.

@k3tonan thanks! turning off sync seems to be working for me. 

I stand corrected. It seems to only extend the spawning period. As of the time of my post and just now one window spawned.
Turning off sync only delayed the inevitable. But it did take a lot longer to spawn the new window.

I sure hope this gets fixed soon. It's even happening for me when I switch to a different browser and force Edge to close through the task manager. It won't stay closed and keeps spawning new windows. Does anyone know of a way to keep an app from opening, at least for now? If not I might have to uninstall Edge Canary until this is fixed.

I can click a tab in release Edge and Canary will launch new Window(s). This is a real hoot :)

It's not just sync, at least, not on my side. I'm running Canary on both my PC and my iPhone and sync is enabled. The behavior I have noticed is the following: opening a new tab on my phone will almost always result in (a) new browser window(s) opening on my PC. My phone and PC are on the same home network, (PC is wired and the phone is on wifi) but are not directly connected or interacting in any way (no Bluetooth pairing/connection, the phone isn't syncing with iTunes via Wi-Fi, etc.) Would be interesting to hear if anyone else is experiencing this same cause/effect pairing. Anyway, that's how the bug manifests on my hardware, though it does sound like the devs have this one pinned down already :)

I've noticed that when I get notifications on my phone, sometimes new tabs open. I have the Your Phone app syncing notifications so I'm sure that's part of it.
I cannot replicate. I run both Release and Dev and neither trigger Canary.

I created a new profile without turning on Sync and so far no spawning windows that was about 45 minutes ago.

UPDATE: So its been well over an hour and still no spawning from either my new profile or my current one.

I tried creating a new profile but windows continued to spawn. New windows spawn each time my phone gets notifications from Twitter, and Edge gets those same notifications, so I think the windows spawning might have something to do with notifications in Edge. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can turn the notifications off somehow.

Couldn't figure out how to turn off notifications, and the spawning windows are driving me crazy. I think I'm temporarily uninstalling Edge Canary. If someone can let me know when it's fixed, that would be great.

@Living4God1991 

To me Edge Canary only spawns new windows when I open Edge Dev or a link or software opens Edge Dev

Turning off Startup Boost in all the versions (Canary, Dev, Beta, Stable) that I use on a specific PC, Signing Out and Signing Back in stopped the creation of new windows for me. I included this observation in my Send Feedback report when it started last week.

I plan to turn Startup Boost back on once this is fixed, hopefully in a Canary build today.
I would consider you lucky. I just woke the PC from sleep and it immediately launched a Canary window :)
95.0.1008.0 seems to fix it