Edge Canary 78.0.256.0 on Mac crashes on launch

Copper Contributor

My Edge browser updated today to the 78.0.256.0 build and immediately upon launch the browser crashes.  I tried a full re-install but no luck.

6 Replies
That's Canary. Report it (smiley face, upper right corner of browser), and see what happens. Might have to wait a day or so into the daily update. Could be a small glitch or bug on the Canary side. It happens...not often, but it happens especially if new features are being tested out. :). I'm on the same version for Windows 10 and it's working fine. I've been on Canary all day (Win 10) and no problems so it could be a Mac side only issue.

@Anthony yes it is canary but so far Edge canary on Mac has been very reliable, surprisingly so.  I can't report using the normal mechanism as Edge hangs upon load then crashes.  There isn't any way to access the normal reporting mechanism.  I figured that I would report it here and wait for an update.

You can try deleting the User Data folder of the Edge Canary. on Windows it's located here:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data

on Mac, should be here (not 100% sure):

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Canary/
if you find it on your Mac, first close all Edge canary instances and then delete that folder. next time you open the Edge Canary it shouldn't crash anymore.

Oh okay. Yesterday Canary was doing sort of the same thing on Windows for some users. The web page would just hang without loading. It was corrected with an update. Good thing about Canary is it's updated daily or so. Canary is stable for being Canary but once in awhile or so we're going to have bugs and glitches with it as it's the starting point of adding or testing new features or revamping code of already set in features. 

@HotCakeX tried your idea, doesn't help.  Initially Edge responds as it asks the first couple of setup questions then it hangs and a crash follows.  I'm going to wait for a new build, see what happens.

I can't remember if Edge updates on weekends or just the weekdays. Not sure how MS does their daily Canary updates or how MS chooses which or what converts into Canary. Google has an auto bot that takes the best out of the last 40 revisions (done by their developers and I think working from within Chromium) and promotes it up to Canary at a certain time each day. As stated here:

"Chromium is the source of the four versions of Google Chrome: Canary, dev, beta, and stable. Chromium is being continuously built and checked by an automated process, the BuildBot, which is overseen by human sheriffs, usually developers. (Chromium lacks Chrome's proprietary features.)

According to Chrome Canary for developers, "A new Chrome Canary build is available daily (we cut at 2am PST and take the best of last 40 revisions, to be specific)" and according to Google Chrome: How does the Chrome team ensure the stability of the canary channel?, "Canary Chrome contains the very latest state of our source tree, and is automatically built and shipped to users every day, usually without any human oversight at all." "On a typical week, over 800 code changes get submitted to Chromium, and another 600 or so to WebKit [1]. The Canary Chrome contains the very latest state of our source tree, and is automatically built and shipped to users every day, usually without any human oversight at all. "