SOLVED

Edge Canary 77.0.211.0 always on top, dropdown menus not functioning

Brass Contributor

Latest Edge Canary 77.0.211.0 has added a couple issues:

• Edge is always on top. Unless I minimize the edge window(s) , no other program or app can be brought to the foreground, except for other Edge windows.
  • html dropdown menus don't work. I can click on them but the menu does not popup, only the field gets selected. Navigation up and down the menu is possible by using the up and down arrows.

Anybody else having these issues? Any workaround?

71 Replies
best response confirmed by rimackri (Microsoft)
Solution
It is fixed now. Thanks for the response...:)

To All,

I swear, I recall someone saying, it's known & will be fixed asap ;) Yet, there is a caveat from this, a lesson to be learned.... don't run Canary, exclusively. Use Dev and have Canary out of interest, curiosity & the exercise of looking for/at daily changes before they hit Dev. Run with Dev & (sure) have Canary, as well, not, as your primary Edge C!  "Use Dev, investigate Canary".  In other words, don't be relying on Canary.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

I use this as my main browser now, just so devs get more "Production" telemetry, and if something crashes really hard, like unusable, I can always get back to "classic" Edge, or Firefox or other fallbacks. The only event that would really prevent me from helping improve the product would be a security/privacy disaster - if the data collected were exposed, well, that would be a hit I'd not forget. Usability problems - meh, I guess most of Windows users got used to this ;) 

@Rohit Yadav - thanks - just manually checked for update and it's resolved!

Folks, this has been fixed. Update your Build.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

Same here, with edge dev.

@jantjec1 

This has been fixed in Canary.  Yours is the 1st mention I have seen of it happening with Dev.  I cannot repro the behavior in Dev you describe; it keeps working properly, exclusively.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Check for any available updates @jantjec1 ...

Reinstalled Dev and now it's ok.@Drew1903 

@jantjec1 

Cool, good to hear :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

PS: btw, my name is, actually, Drew.  @ Drew 1903 is a User Name.

@Drew1903  Like I said I'm fine with Canary. I very rarely have a issue with it. I've had two issues since its release. Both fixed in less than two days. Besides it takes <30 seconds for me to switch my default browser when a bug like this occurs. So I'll stick with Canary till release. I like testing the latest updates, and fully understand the risk in terms of stability. Just like I fully understand to expect issues when I occasionally hop onto the Window 10 Insiders ring. But as I said Edge has been surprisingly solid even with me using the Canary branch.

@sean8102 

Sean, I have been running both Dev & Canary.  I have to agree with you, overall, considering just early betas, they do, both, seem (surprisingly) solid.  That's rather impressive & a compliment to the Team.  The hiccups fairly minor & as you say rectified promptly.  Cool too the responsiveness of the Team to Feedback.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg