SOLVED

Edge Canary 77.0.211.0 always on top, dropdown menus not functioning

Brass Contributor

Latest Edge Canary 77.0.211.0 has added a couple issues:

• Edge is always on top. Unless I minimize the edge window(s) , no other program or app can be brought to the foreground, except for other Edge windows.
  • html dropdown menus don't work. I can click on them but the menu does not popup, only the field gets selected. Navigation up and down the menu is possible by using the up and down arrows.

Anybody else having these issues? Any workaround?

71 Replies

same thing happen here. hope development team able to fix this soon. happen after the latest update

@alibayram  same issue, Edge ver 77.0.211.0, Windows 10 ver 1903, 18362.207

Well they could launch an update today because using the browser so weekend is going to be a birthing ...

@alibayram 

Oh, looks like the issue is very likely to get addressed in near future given it's broken for everyone :) 

As for HTML dropdowns, I realized this is the issue when I looked at modifying edge flags - the only solution was to use tab + arrow keys - that does work. 

THANK YOU for the workaround!! I didn't even think about using my keyboard for the dropdown menus!

@jfreiman 

Count me in, also, with the always on top issue.  And, ditto, 1st really blatant serious glitch I've seen running both Dev & Canary since the onset.  Hopefully, this is rectified soon.

And, unless I've missing something, the menus seem quite normal (for me).

Cheers,
Drew

I was about to post a discussion about this but it seems like I'm not just the only one experiencing this now. I'm more of a multi-tasking guy so this is a little bit problem to me because I need to manually minimize the edge first before I get to open the window I want on the foreground.. Any updates regarding this issue? 

@alibayram wrote:

Latest Edge Canary 77.0.211.0 has added a couple issues:

• Edge is always on top. Unless I minimize the edge window(s) , no other program or app can be brought to the foreground, except for other Edge windows.
  • html dropdown menus don't work. I can click on them but the menu does not popup, only the field gets selected. Navigation up and down the menu is possible by using the up and down arrows.

Anybody else having these issues? Any workaround?

Came here to see if there was a post about this. I've had to go back to Chrome for now because Edge won't let any other window appear over it. Windows 10 1903 and Edge Canary version 77.0.211.0. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Hi @sean8102

you can also use the Dev Channel build that works without the issue.

@Drew1903 wrote:

@jfreiman 

Count me in, also, with the always on top issue.  And, ditto, 1st really blatant serious glitch I've seen running both Dev & Canary since the onset.  Hopefully, this is rectified soon.

And, unless I've missing something, the menus seem quite normal (for me).

Cheers,
Drew

The problem with dropdown menus seems to be limited to html  menus like

<select ...>

<option...>...</option>

<option...>...</option>

</select>

. Try to change a flag in edge://flags. Does the dropdown menu appear?

@Drew1903 

@Marco Mangiante Oh I know. I don't mind going back and forth. I completely understand issues like this are going to happen when using the canary channel of a browser that isn't even in a beta release status yet :p mainly just came to make sure it wasn't just me experiencing this.

@sean8102 

Or, Sean, you could just use Dev, instead.  It works fine & doesn't stay on top.  Dev is, always, more stable or in this case, less weird than Canary may be on occasion (more often).

Suggestion: Treat Dev as 'primary' & Canary as secondary... I mean, poke about at Canary, but, treat Dev as the one being used.  Canary is interesting; with its daily changes... Dev is better/best for steady use.  I have both, but, made Dev the default browser not, Canary.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Thank you all, we are aware of this issue.  We will get this issue fixed as soon as possible.  Until then, the Developer channel does not have this issue.

@sean8102 

"came to make sure it wasn't just me experiencing this."

Seems like it's everyone.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@alibayram 

I have the same problems. Also, I have annoying color stripe on top of maximized Edge Canary window. 

This problem occurs only when the taskbar is located at the top
(Windows build: 18932.1000)

[Sorry for my bad English]

problem.png

Same issues here.
(Windows 10 - 1809)

I am experiencing the exact same issues on my 77.0.211.0 build.

Why Edge seems to be set to set SetWindowPos  HWND_TOPMOST makes no sense to me.

@alibayram

I found the cause of the problem and wrote a program to fix it temporarily.
Download the attachment and unzip it.

Run this script every time you open Edge :)