Edge Canary 111.0.1633.0 Unwanted "Discover" hover menu

Iron Contributor

A purple and orange hover menu started appearing to the right of the ellipsis in a recent build.    It displays the unwanted sidebar and pops out a big "discover" blob of junk that takes quite awhile to load and unload.  First few builds actually caused browser crash.  I'm unable to find any method of disabling it.  Where is the setting to permanently remove this completely undesired feature?

JasonBaginski_0-1674482888704.png

20 Replies
Edge Canaary 1633 cannot paste a graphic into an Outlook email (Outlook on the web) on MacOS.
Give me the ability to disable this GARBAGE discover feature and remove the icon from the toolbar. You've placed the discover icon in the right-most position, exactly where the menu button has always been. Now whenever I try to get to the menu, not only does discover come up, but it also enables itself to across all tabs. We aren't all home users. Some of us use Edge for real work and this is a total waste of time and poor design.
I'm sure this won't make you happy but the Discover button does not show on the Mac version of Edge (Canary).
I hope "give it time" isn't a valid statement.

I have no issue with creating new features. I have an issue where it's forced onto users in the most obnoxious way possible without the ability to disable it. The "browser crash on hover" was just icing on the "hate this feature" cake.
Same here. I’ve been a windows and edge insider for as long as the programs existed and this my first comment beyond giving general feedback. Now picture me on Win 11 with flyovers on the left and right sides of the screen that basically do the same thing. Luckily I can disable the hover function for Win11. This is a disjointed effort. I doubt the auto-reenable was intentional for the edge dev discover button, at least I hope so.
I agree. Unfortunately, it is still there in the latest Microsoft Edge Dev Version 111.0.1633.0 (released but no information posted yet on the changes).
Lastest dev update moved the Discover button back to the sidebar. Thanks Edge Team!
I'm on 111.0.1641.0 and I still have the purple button of doom.

@Jason Baginski 111.0.1633.0 here without the button.

Badr_0-1674671299950.png

Isn't Anger/B testing fun?

111.0.1644.0 still lacks the ability to remove this button.

JasonBaginski_0-1674763959554.png

Confirm the button is still there.

111.0.1660.2 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

@hk5zbynb2ryd3se confirmed v112.0.1665.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) is still has no option to remove.

JasonBaginski_0-1675701065468.png

@Jason Baginski Also confirming that it’s back in v111 via an update

It's never gone away for me in Canary.

@hk5zbynb2ryd3se Still no ability to remove as of  v112.0.1667.0 

I suffer from the menu in both Canary and Dev. It's terrible UX.

agree. Have it in Canary (Mac) now. At first I didn't. Need to make it go away.
Microsoft is adding lots of tool bars that can't go away (Sharepoint e.g.), bad UI trend.