SOLVED

Edge Beta Won't Uninstall After Installing New Edge

Copper Contributor

I have installed the new Microsoft Edge and after it installed, I cannot uninstall the Edge Beta. Anyone know why? I've tried everything but to no avail. I can't even find a post from anyone regarding this.

14 Replies

@bobnplano 

Hi!
Did you install the Beta version of Edge before installing the stable version of Edge? Or did you install the Beta version of Edge after installing the stable version of Edge? What are the version numbers of your two Edges?

Although I am an ordinary person, I want to see if I can reproduce the problem on my computer.

I wish you health every day!

@bobnplano
Hi there, welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community.
Can you please tell what problem or message you are facing while uninstalling Edge beta?

@Deleted I installed the Edge Beta when it first came out and I was enjoying using it. Then Tuesday, day before yesterday, I was informed that the new Edge was available. So I proceeded to install the new Edge, assuming it would replace or overwrite the Beta. After it was successfully installed, I went to my control panel to remove programs and found the Microsoft Edge Beta and proceeded to uninstall it. I received a message to close all Microsoft Edge programs and try again. I did that and still it would not uninstall. I tried again several times only to receive the same message. I immediately went to Google to try to find a resolution. I found the option to open Settings>Apps>Microsoft Edge Beta and click on it and select the Uninstall button.  Same result. I again tried it multiple times only to receive the exact same message to "Close all Microsoft Edge programs and try again." All to no avail. Finally, I went to Microsoft for assistance only to find no posting in the Forum regarding this issue so I posted my question. That is where I am now.

@TheShaunSaw Thank you for your quick response. I described in detail my issue below in my response to Andy Liu. Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

@Deleted  The Edge Beta version is 83.0.478.13

The New Edge version is 81.0.416.62

best response confirmed by bobnplano (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bobnplano 

I also get this issue while uninstalling any insider channel or stable version of Microsoft Edge and there is a fix for it:

Click on the system tray icon on the bottom right of screen and then click Edge Canary icon(Edge Beta in your case) and then click close Microsoft Edge and then uninstall it.Click on the system tray icon on the bottom right of screen and then click Edge Canary icon(Edge Beta in your case) and then click close Microsoft Edge and then uninstall it.

This issue only occurs when a user lets Microsoft Edge run in the background.

@TheShaunSaw  Ahhhhhhh! Thank you my friend. That did the trick. You are one swell guy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bob

Oh, it looks like your problem has been solved. I wish you a happy life!

@TheShaunSaw I have the same problem as Bob, but I don't have the option in my task tray to click on Edge Beta. It's not there. I also checked in Task Manager and didn't see anything Edge related still running. Yet, when I try again to uninstall Edge Beta it gives me the "Please close all Microsoft Edge windows and try again" error. I have rebooted a few times to see if that helps reset or close out potential Edge windows, again no luck. Any suggestions?

I ended up uninstalling the new Edge, which left me with the basic Win10 Edge as you can see on the screen shot, hoping that might help. Also, my beta version is 83.0.478.33 as noted.

Hi there, welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community!
I have neither experienced the type of issue that you are saying while uninstalling Microsoft Edge Chromium nor I have seen any discussion on that so I don't have the resolution to that issue. I would recommend you to send feedback about this through the in-built feature in Microsoft Chromium Edge(Alt+Shift+I) with diagnostics as your issue can be looked further by the Microsoft Edge team.

@JayCole 

This is what I got officially when I reported the issue on the Chromium Bugs website:

2020-06-11 (11)_LI.jpg

I hope that this information helps you. 

@bobnplano The best way I found solution to this was to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\ , You will see four or more folders there 1. Edge and 2. Edge Beta 3. Temp 4. Updates, Now manually select Edge Beta and hit Shift+Delete for permanent deletion of Edge Beta files. Next reboot your system and Edge Beta will be gone, later delete any remaining shotcuts from the start menu.

I'm using the new Mac
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bobnplano (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bobnplano 

I also get this issue while uninstalling any insider channel or stable version of Microsoft Edge and there is a fix for it:

Click on the system tray icon on the bottom right of screen and then click Edge Canary icon(Edge Beta in your case) and then click close Microsoft Edge and then uninstall it.Click on the system tray icon on the bottom right of screen and then click Edge Canary icon(Edge Beta in your case) and then click close Microsoft Edge and then uninstall it.

This issue only occurs when a user lets Microsoft Edge run in the background.

View solution in original post