Edge Beta just has black screen?

Steel Contributor

Hello,

One of my users suddenly today has mostly a black screen when running Edge Beta. Other browsers like Edge Legacy and IE work fine on the machine. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Edge and the problem persisted. Is there a way to reset edge from command line? I can't get to settings in browser. The buttons still work but aren't visible. I can't file feedback since it also comes up just as blank black window. Any suggestions?

Edge Beta Black Screen.png

7 Replies
Did they try killing the GPU Process?

@Rohit Yadav The user rebooted machine, did SHIFT shutdown and problem persists. It wasn't doing this yesterday?

@Brian Hoyt Ask them to see if killing GPU Process from Browser Task Manager fixes it.

image.png

Hi,
when you uninstalled Edge, did you also choose to remove user data when asked?
if you didn't, there are left over files that can cause problems

Thanks @Rohit Yadav and @HotCakeX for suggestions. The user got back to me and today it is working. Maybe the uninstall and reinstall combined with a reboot fixed it. Not sure.

@Brian Hoyt That's great news, glad to hear it's working! 

Yes, @Rohit Yadav and @HotCakeX gave you exactly the right advice; our devs also suggested killing GPU processes and rebooting. And if that hadn't done it, then it could have been worth looking into updating the GPU driver.

Let us know if you or they encounter anything else.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge