edge beta and youtube in full screen video

Copper Contributor

I have noticed previously that for some ironic reasons, most Chromium based browsers struggle when it comes to opening YouTube videos in full screen. Yandex Browser takes a second, Vivaldi about a second and a half, with Edge, however YouTube transition to full screen can take over 2 seconds. I wanted to know what is everyones experience in that, because so far Firefox has provided smoothest YouTube Experience.

5 Replies

@valeri_t 

Hi Valeri,

Well, since you asked... when I use YT Full screen in Edge it is & has been just fine including, quick to transition.  Having read your note I did it w/ Edge C (again, have before) paying particular attention to speed of the transition & smoothness of playing et al.  Absolutely terrific & nothing to fault, at all; too quick to time it.  Certainly, no "struggle" whatsoever.  I cannot compare to FF as I don't use of care for FF.  But, the performance I am experiencing, couldn't ask for better.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yes good question. for me it takes 1 second (or less) and i also agree it should be instant.
when i click on Full screen icon, first it expands the YouTube video to the bottom and right and then goes full screen, it can't do it in one step. my CPU and discrete GPU are very decent so no bottleneck from their end. i'm using hardware acceleration too.
I tried on Windows' built-in Edge and it's the same. I think it's related to the YouTube website itself and their style.
if it takes more than 1 second then there is something to be fixed in your hardware or configuration. also why using beta anyway? it's a very old version. Canary is the most recent and trouble free version.

@valeri_t 

Hi again Valeri,

Just to repeat I, for one, have the transition to Full screen fast enough to call it instant, a wait to short to time it.  Performance is nice & smooth and there is no in-between stuff happening in any corners.

I  would, also, like to take the opportunity to detail the Edge C Channels for you:

Beta - Updates (receives additions & changes) every 6 wks. Stays 'as is' in-between. Expect this one to be the most problem-free.
Dev - Updates wkly. MAY have some issues. Will have things to test/try before (they reach) Beta.
Canary - Updates DAILY.  Sees new additions & or changes 1st.  Most likely have issues, flaws or breakages.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hi @valeri_t, for comparison's sake, do you see similar timing on Google Chrome's Canary builds?  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Actually, yes! Behaviour is similar, it ain't perfect in Chrome stable either, the only one getting it near perfect is Firefox :) Sorry! I know ill get called bad words probably. :D If you need tech specs or data, let me know how to send it. Or if you could teach me how to make a screen-recording, would be awesome. :) Speaking of which, how come there is no tool to record the screen in Win 10, besides W+G combination which works properly only for games.