Edge Android is way too slow

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I started using Edge on my entry-level laptop, and I absolutely love it. Filled with features and SegmentHeap drastically reduces the amount of RAM being used, and it's way faster than Chrome or any other browser I've used. However, on my phone, it's a whole other story. I am using a Samsung Galaxy A50, a 2019 mid-range phone and pretty much every browser performs fine, except Edge, it is horribly slow. It takes ages to load webpages, and when they do load, scrolling and navigating is choppy and slow. I don't understand why this is happening, as every other browser works fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I have switched back to Chrome painfully on both my laptop and phone, as syncing between them is very important to me.

Thanks =)=)=)

15 Replies

@djskate2611 Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the MSFT Edge Insider community! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some performance issues on mobile. Can you please confirm what version and channel you're using? And if you haven't yet, can you please submit feedback and diagnostic data through the browser? ("..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback)

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hey @Deleted thanks for the reply. I jus sent some feedback, and am using version 45.06.4.5042 of stable Edge Android, which I'm pretty sure is the latest stable version. Hope you can help. :grinning_face: Bye for now.

@djskate2611 Great, thanks! The diagnostics submitted through that will be the best indicator for what's happening. If you have any external extensions enabled, I'd also recommend disabling them and seeing if that boosts the performance.

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I am facing the same issue on my Android phone (Redmi Note 5 Pro). Is the root cause of this issue identified? I will send the diagnostics data through feedback as requested by you.

@saurabhjain I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering some performance issues too. Yes, please do send diagnostics! And can you confirm exactly what behaviors you're seeing?

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I had sent the diagnostics when I reported the issue.
Basically everything is super slow, like even google search. Other browsers are working perfectly fine, but only Edge is slow. I am using Edge on Redmi Note 5 pro (Xiaomi - India variant)

100% agree, edge android is one of the worst browser I've ever used. Very Very slow......

@hussain5416 

The same by me. I'm using Edge on Xiaomi and is a disaster.  My laptop goes smoothly with Edge. 
I'm changing to Chrome on mobile. Too bad that we can synchronization both.

Yeah, because Edge uses Microsoft account whereas chrome uses a Gmail account. One of them should have an option to use other account but that seems very unlikely.

Because of this might need to switch back to Chrome on Windows.
Yeah, I also find that the translation of the pages is not that successful all the time. I think that they need to give more effort on the mobile version.

I don't know how my phone isn't in a million pieces after trying out the tortuously slow Edge browser on Android over the last few days! It's safe now though as I've reverted back to the lovely (and quick) Google Chrome.

@djskate2611 I had the same issue. I changed by tracking prevention settings from Balanced to Strict and the page load speed has improved quite a lot. If others (as many as possible) can try the same and report back, it might be good to confirm the solution.

@aravindkunnath Yeah after changing the tracking protection settings to strict performance has significantly improved. Maybe in the balanced mode, it is taking too much time to actually analyze which trackers to allow and which not to.  Thanks @aravindkunnath for this.

Thanks a lot @aravindkunnath I confirm as well that after changing Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Tracking prevention to Strict, the performance has really improved. It's much faster now. I was about to switch back to Chrome on Android because it was faster and I was looking into solutions to keep in sync the bookmarks between Edge Chromium on Windows (which I really enjoy) and Chrome on Android, but now I don't need it anymore. With that setting, Edge on Android works just fine plus I enjoy the built-in Ad blocking.

I tried a slightly different option. I went to Settings => Content blockers => Block ads (set it to On). After that change all pages loaded quickly for me.