Edge & Its Features

Silver Contributor

Edge has a number of out-of-the box Features people, really, like & use.  One can add many extentions, though, only a few might be considered 'must-haves'.  People do feel that many of the built-in features are 'must-haves'.  I am sure (Read: we hope) as Edge C continues to be built the need to be adding so many things from Stores will lessen & the built-in features, the familiar stuff we know & like, return.  Once all that is in place, Edge C will likely be or become the browser of choice for most people.  The performance factor, certainly, seems to be there, already.  On a personal note, I'd like the MS Store Mouse Gestures instead, of what's in Chrome store.  But, extentions are for another discussion.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

8 Replies
Hi Drew. This is what we are hoping for too. We understand that some people are looking for more and others prefer less. So our big request is still, keep your eyes open, and give us your honest feedback. Let us know both if you think a specific feature is a required compontent of the browser, a nice to have (extension) or not needed at all, and if the feature has what it takes to be best in class.

@Elliot Kirk 

If I read the common voice in the forum, besides what is presently advertised as "Coming Soon", these 3 icons 3 icons.jpg, what they are & do, are important to the majority.

Oh, I see this Canary has another update, again.  Sure wish I/we knew or could know what's in them.

It's a fun, lofty, goal trying to find that balance to please everyone all the time, isn't? ;)

BTW, I, also, run Office Insider Builds on my Insider Win10; there's, also, some cool stuff happening in Office.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yeah, I honestly can't wait to have the Set Tabs Aside Feature. It was literally the best thing about the original Edge, as well as Fluent Design of course.

@YgorCortes 

Yes, I should have included Set Aside. Good you mention it, again.  After all the times it's, already, been mentioned quite silly I didn't show all 4 icons, including Set Aside (technically, it's 2 icons ;)).

3 icons.jpg  AND  SA.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@YgorCortes I was never really a fan of the Set Aside feature in Old Edge. Here's to hoping that it will be a toggleable option when it's added as I often found myself accidently clicking it. This is even more so the case when tabbing out of full screen application where sometimes your mouse would be set to x=0 and y=0 causing you to click it. On lower power device the animation of the feature often would cause a lag spike too. 

To be honest this was another reason why I was unable to convince many of my colleagues and friends to move over to Edge.

@Cameron_Bush 

Much in life & computing is subjective.  We were just talking about the tightrope balance of what people want/ vs don't want.  Since, will never please everyone, let's bank on the majority liking Edge C upon its release.  It's the beauty beholder thing :eyes:

It's, also, why Feedback is so important. Alt+Shift+I and or in this Forum.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yeah, an option for it would be great!

@Elliot Kirk "Let us know both if you think a specific feature is a required compontent of the browser, a nice to have (extension) or not needed at all, and if the feature has what it takes to be best in class."

A thought:  Develop a "planned feature/function list" with 50 items (or some other managable number) on it, and create a Microsoft Edge Insider survey asking folks to (1) rank each feature/function in terms of importance, and (2) asking folks whether each feature/function should be a required component of the browser, or an extension, or not needed at all.  If you then opened a Discussion asking folks to take the survey, the Edge team might be able to develop a useful matrix quickly and efficiently.