Duplicate Accounts in O365 from Azure AD Sync

Iron Contributor

in Dev Version 77.0.223.0, Favorites Sync Creating many Duplicates, i have one device only

11 Replies

Thank you @MarsMas.  I will let our sync folks know that you are seeing this. - Elliot

@MarsMasthe subject title there was not correct , i was talking about duplicating favorites in edge dev. browser

@Elliot Kirk 

My Edge Insider Favorites are scrambled with my Android Edge (beta). Seems to have happened about a month ago and has not been corrected in recent builds. 

Bottom line: Can you send instructions with sequence of steps to fix it and/or start over?

• Should I disconnect sync? On which device?
  • Delete the favorites? And start over? On which device?

See what I mean?

I don't mind doing some work to fix it, but I don't want to do something wrong and erase all of my (carefully crafted) favorites web pages.

I have a Moto G7 Plus and and Surface Go on Windows 10 Insider Slow.

@Captain_Eric thank you, actually i have one device only right now,  work at home , but wondering why then it duplicates ? 

@Elliot Kirk same here for me. I have tried many times to use a deduplication tool to remove those, and also manually remove entire folders, but they keep coming back.

clipboard_image_0.png

Also, I have moved some entries to tidy things up a bit, however, when I restart the computer, I end up getting two copies, one moved and one original.

Please do something before it goes out of control...

This has been going on for more than a month or so.

The sync functionality broke a few times, which requires me to sign out, and back in again -- done so.

Sometimes (also the current state) it get stuck in a state where sync is on, but all entries are grayed out:

clipboard_image_0.png

@Yatao Li What's the "deduplicate tool" you mentioned in your post above. Have a link?

@Captain_Eric this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookmarks-clean-up/oncbjlgldmiagjophlhobkogeladjijl?hl=en

It's called "Bookmarks clean up" -- detects duplicated entries (globally, or folder-wise), and has a blacklist feature to prevent going into huge folders.

My workaround:

1. Make a backup of your bookmarks! Even if everything is duplicated, it's better than everything's lost!

2. Reset Edge Insider, sign out and clear all favorites

3. Sign in again, turn on sync and wait for everything to stabilize -- could take some time, make sure everything is synchronized.

4. Delete all bookmarks manually, and let it stabilize and sync all the deletions to the cloud. The duplicating mess should be stopped at this stage -- because there will be nothing to duplicate up there.

4.5. To ensure it's all deleted, sign out and in again, turn on sync, and make sure nothing is synchronized down from the cloud.

5. You should be in a clean state -- import the bookmarks and start de-duplicating them! Note -- you may want to disable bookmark sync until you're done deduping -- this would ensure a clean upload in one go.

6. After doing 1~5, if you have other devices running Edge Insider, do step 2, and sign back in -- the de-duplicated entries should be downloaded.

@Yatao Li

Thanks! I'll trying it. But before I go too fast, I want to get my facts straight, if you have a minute:

• I gather Edge Insider places the synced data in the cloud, where other Edge apps can access it, right?
  • Which of these Edge products can sync with the Edge Insider data in the cloud?
    • Edge (Beta) Android?
    • Edge Android? ie not Beta
    • Edge ("old") for Windows 10?
    • Anything else?
  • If I wipe the favorites from the Cloud via Edge Insider, why are the favorites not lost to all the other devices on the next sync? Don't the other devices "see" that a favorite (in fact all the favorites) were deleted and "think"it should be deleted on it's device too?
  • I'm confused by the option to "import favorites." Does this mean the favorites are "copied" from the favorites on one device to another (and therefore does something other than actively sync via the cloud)?

I leave it at that for the moment. If you please, I would be most grateful if you or anyone can fill in the blanks on how I can fix this mess (which is ok, the mess that is, this is beta stuff. Not complaining!)

James

What does Edge Insider / Chromium sync with? Is it only with my 

@Captain_Eric 

> I gather Edge Insider places the synced data in the cloud, where other Edge apps can access it, right?

Yes.

>Which of these Edge products can sync with the Edge Insider data in the cloud?

>    Edge (Beta) Android?

Yes.

>    Edge Android? ie not Beta

Choose the "insider" in sync channel

>Edge ("old") for Windows 10?

No.

> If I wipe the favorites from the Cloud via Edge Insider, why are the favorites not lost to all the other devices on the next sync? Don't the other devices "see" that a favorite (in fact all the favorites) were deleted and "think"it should be deleted on it's device too?

That's the key. My theory is, the other devices may not receive "delete" sync, and force sync the deleted content back, and thus the duplication. Because we don't know if a device is in a "clean" state, it's better to start over from scratch.

I'm confused by the option to "import favorites." Does this mean the favorites are "copied" from the favorites on one device to another (and therefore does something other than actively sync via the cloud)?

Import is a local feature if I understand correctly. That is, it's nothing different than to punch in the entries by hand on one device. 

Thanks for your help.

I'm fairly tech savvy, but I must confess I have not been able to correct this problem. I've tried all the usual and expected tricks, but still end up with favorites scrambled on my Android (and probably Edge Chromium, but I've lost track. It's tedious work. Not complaining (ok a little) it's not even a beta yet!)