SOLVED

Drag 'n Drop In Edge insider

Copper Contributor

In the past when i want to save a page quickly temporarily, I would drag n drop from the address bar to my desktop. I would then get an html file where i could use yo load the page quickly. Now when i do it i get a url file instead. All it does when you click on it is, it pulls the browser up and displays this:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=

Anybody know how to get it to save as html?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by betts968 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
go to that page, right-click and choose "save as..."

@betts968 

Here are a couple of ways/suggestions:
1. Save it as a Favorite
Could.jpg
2. Use Share
Share.jpg
Whereby can then do a few things with the URL including OneNote!
ShareURL.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

I don't understand. When I click on the STAR beside the Web Address I only get a small screen that allows me to enter a new name to save the page into the Favorites or I can add a new sub-label to an existing category in Favorites. Do not get the screen with all the options you show. Maybe on an old version of EDGE as I just installed Win10. I really miss the ability to click and select the address line and drag it to the Desktop which then shows the sites ICON image along with a brief name of the subject line of the page I have saved to desktop. This is the PRIMARY reason why I suspect I will still use Mozilla Foxfire. Edge would do themselves a favor it they would allow drag-n-drop on the Web Link just like Firefox.
None of that save page as HTML.
That's right, the star sign is for adding pages/links to favorites/bookmarks, nothing else.
in order to save a page locally, you have to right-click on the page and choose "save as". then you will be presented with different formats to save that page in.

@GPTDesign47_19 

Hi (sorry, don't know your name),

Ok, couple of things here:

1st, pinning is to Taskbar not, desktop.

The Drag to Taskbar from the URL logo is an old IE thing. Edge HTML & Edge C both have Pin to Taskbar in their ellipsis.  In Edge HTML it's listed on its own.  In Edge C it's in More tools.  Edge HTML, also, has Set tabs aside and many are hoping this will, also, be in Edge C.

Edge HTML
EdgeHTMLPin.jpg

Edge C
EdgeCPin.jpg

Set aside
Set aside.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@GPTDesign47_19 

It works on on Edge version 81

Edge icon with site's description get added to the desktop shortcut

gfgd.png

Easier way is to install a site as an app which adds the correct icon and description to desktop and start menu.

fsdfds.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by betts968 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
go to that page, right-click and choose "save as..."

View solution in original post