Drag and drop chrome extensions

Iron Contributor

I'm having issues dragging and dropping theme extensions in the extension part of Edge. I'm using the CRX file and still nothing.

29 Replies

@QueenNini  After touching base with the team again, it sounds like theme extensions aren’t fully supported in Edge right now, but it’s something the team is actively working on. (They did have another suggestion, though, so I'll merge this thread with your first one and post the work-around there.)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@QueenNini I appreciate the follow-up. After talking to the Extensions team, it sounds like there is a known issue around Drag-and-Drop. If you are able, can you try to unpack the CRX file (by renaming to .zip), and then try loading from the folder in developer mode instead?

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I'm using the updated preinstalled edge and I already have the developer mode on. To confirm, I should download the CRX file, unpacked into zip in the developer mode? If so I will try that method and let you know.

There is another easier way to install Chrome themes. here is the thread, installing and removing themes is a lot easier this way

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/use-chrome-theme-in-canary-build-guide/m-p/111611...

@HotCakeX  will this work for the updated preinstalled Edge. If so, I will try that.

You need to have at least version 81.0.395.0 which right now only Canary has it and soon Dev will join it.

@HotCakeX So the updated Edge won't be until much later. I see getting the preview builds have more of the features that are needed. I dropped beta so I might look into canary. 

Good, It's quite stable too so you won't be having stability issues

@Deleted It took a few tries and the suggestions work. I do hope the drag and drop come back though.

@QueenNini Oh good, I'm glad to hear it! 

Fawkes (they/them)