Drag and drop chrome extensions

Iron Contributor

I'm having issues dragging and dropping theme extensions in the extension part of Edge. I'm using the CRX file and still nothing.

29 Replies
Hi,
on Edge Canary?

@HotCakeX  No on Edge Beta. I have tried several theme extensions that didn't work.

Maybe either Microsoft or Google did something to prevent it

@HotCakeX That's crazy, why would Google allow Microsoft to use extensions but not the themes? I changed the themes a few times before without issue? Is there another way around it?

Maybe it's not Google. Chromium based browsers such as Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Microsoft Edge might be sharing the same engine but they have a completely different UI so it's normal that the themes are not supported, most of the time it's the browser manufacturers themselves that prevent 3rd party themes to be installed.
I'm not sure if there is any other way atm

@QueenNini Thanks for letting us know. I've looped in our Extensions product team and will let you know if they have any insights or additional questions.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Thank you very much. It was quite a surprise when I was unable to add extensions.

@QueenNini Our devs had some follow-up questions for you. To clarify: are you having trouble installing theme extensions normally or just installing via sideloading? And can you share more details about the process (are you using “load unpacked”?) and which specific themes aren’t working? 

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I used the CRX extension from the Chrome store since Edge Beta is not compatible with Chrome themes. That was suggested in this community as an alternative for more themes than just light and dark. I don't use the load unpacked. What I do is:

1. go to the chrome store and go to themes.

2. Pick a theme and get the CRX code since I have the extension.

3. Save the CRX file.

4. Drag and drop the file.

When I try to do the drag and drop, there is a message with the circle with a line through it and the themes don't apply to browser.

Hopefully the new release tomorrow will fix the problem.
You can get any possible fixes faster on Canary builds :)

@QueenNini Great, thank you for the details, I'll let them know right away.

Fawkes (they/them)

@HotCakeX  Isn't Canary less stable and beta? I want a browser that would have fewer issues and not overload my computer to shut down.

@QueenNini 

@QueenNini wrote:

@HotCakeX  Isn't Canary less stable and beta? I want a browser that would have fewer issues and not overload my computer to shut down.

Okay you want the Truth? that's all just Myth :)

Canary has been the most stable and feature rich branch of Edge insider browser at all times.

I've been using only the canary channel since the beginning.

there are reasons for that:

- Canary receives updates faster and that means it also receives bug fixes faster.

- if a bug appears in Dev, you have to wait until the next update cycle, which is every 7 days, to receive the bug fix, while in Canary you have to wait only 1 or 2 days, depending on the severity of the bug.

- Beta is not good either (at the current state) because it's just too old and lacks so many useful features that Canary offers.

@Jenny8675  Hopefully so.  

@HotCakeX Wow, I see the points made.  I do see that Beta seems a little slower and have to restart it occasionally. What is the stage of the new Edge that will be released tomorrow? would it be better than canary? Could I have all three versions of the Edge and the preinstalled edge on my computer at the same time?

No, it will be almost identical as the current Beta version which is also labeled as release candidate.
yes you can have all 4 channels installed at the same time on the same computer without problem.

Just to let you know the preinstalled new Edge the themes don't work either with the CRX extension.

I tried to use the CRX extension to use Chrome theme to change the outlook of the browser. It didn't work. The message said it might harm, the computer since it's a 3rd party app. I click continue and nothing happened. I had issues with themes in Beta and @Deleted notified the extension team on this. Is downloading themes still an issue?