Downloads UI needs to be signicantly improved

Deleted
Not applicable

One of the most disappointing things (other than the missing stuff like Set Aside, etc.) in the new Edge is the downloads UI. I find it very easy to completely miss the fact that a download has started, or that it has finished. Much prefer the approach that is in the existing Edge browser, where all of the prompts around downloads, including if needing to resume, when completed, ability to open, etc. as well as prompts to Save/Open/Save As etc. are really obvious as messages, and key messages are also put up as notifications.

Personally I also much prefer to have the list of downloads (as with list of favourites, history, etc.) as something that can be pinned as an actionable list within the Edge screen, not as a separate tab which you have to swap tabs between - especially useful on larger screen devices, where this can become the normal way of working! Understand the "manage" option benefits from the full screen mode, but having a pinnable list is something that would be really beneficial from a usability perspective.

Currently, the download handling (and to a degree the favourites and history handling) feel like a 10 or 15-year old browser design, not a brand new one!

3 Replies

@Deleted 

I understand. If you also multitask with multiple screens you can sometimes accidently download 

the same file. 

With our new browsers still being preview builds, we don't have all these specific features yet.

Thanks for your feedback,

Frank

I agree with this, not as much because it is hard to notice that a download has started, but because I really hate the download bar popping up in the bottom just like Chrome. I also don't like that files will automatically download instead of giving you options for what to do with the file. I know that there is and option to "ask what to do with downloads", but it just immediately shows a file explorer save prompt. I would like to have something a little more like the non-chromium edge that asks if you want to save, save as, cancel, or run for exe's. I especially like the run option for exe's. That is one of my few large problems/dislikes of the new edge. I HATE the Chrome style download bar. I think that many people would like the option to keep the Chrome style download bar, but I think there are also many people who would like a different download bar/prompt for little more control over what happens with downloads. Thanks devs!

EDIT: Spelling, wording

@Sam_Bradley 

I agree with

"I think that many people would like the option to keep the Chrome style download bar, but I think there are also many people who would like a different download bar/prompt for little more control over what happens with downloads. "

There has been a lot of great suggestions and we appreciate them all.

Hopefully, we can get something out to be tested in the future builds.

Thanks for the feedback,

Frank