Download speed on Edge is too slow - Parallel downloading is broken

MVP

I've been testing and using this feature for as long as the new Edge has been around,

without parallel downloading flag (edge://flags/#enable-parallel-downloading), the download speed is unbelievably slow, with the flag enabled, it's only slightly better.

I don't know how many concurrent connections Edge makes to the download server with this flag on, but it's very broken.

for example, download speed of a file in Edge is only 500 KB/s with parallel downloading on,

with a download manager like Free Download Manager, the speed is 10x faster.

I'm aware that this is depended on the network conditions of each user and my experience can't be universal and experienced by everyone, but the simply fact that a download manager with 6 to 8 concurrent (parallel) connections can fully utilize my Internet bandwidth, and Edge can't do this, is a problem.

this is not something to be fixed with a simple browser reinstall or even related to OS. throughout the past 2 years I've done these countless times, literally.

I'm sending feedback about it using the feedback button on Edge, if you're reading this and want download speed to be improved in Edge, please do the same and in the feedback URL add the link to this post for full description,

thank you

10 Replies

@HotCakeX Hello. I noticed this problem, too. I sent a review. and attached a link to the post.

@HotCakeX I agree with you, it should be improved. I am sending feedback.

P.S. Sorry for not being online a few weeks, I am very busy and may be completely offline in the future. Sorry again.

Could You Please Explain This??

ShashankDahat_0-1624263707592.png

@ShashankDahat 

Jsimopoulos_0-1676225962269.png

Jsimopoulos_1-1676226015843.png

To me It is even worse. The PC uses less than 85% of my internet and Edge is running with only 170 kb/s

@Jsimopoulos 

Uh it's actually correct because if you see internet speeds are measure in Megabits per second(Mbps) which is Mbps but file sizes and download speeds are practically measure in Megabytes per second(MBps).So here if we convert Mbps to MBps we need to divide the value by 8 so 1.4/8=0.175MBps which is really small so the browser converted it to KBps which is 1/1000 of MBps and 1.4Mbps=175KBps and your download speed if showing 170KBps which is really close to thr 175KBps we got.also you have uploaded a screenshot showing you have 96Mbps of speed but only 1.4Mbps is showing in task manager which means the server from which you are downloading the file limits at what rate you can download it.try google drive or any other file streaming service and it will download almost instantly

@ShashankDahat I am downloading a file very much "legaly" and I cant really download the file from anywhere else.

Hi @Jsimopoulos

If that's the case you would have to wait until it downloads because even if you try chrome or any other browser it would probably result in the same speeds.

@Jsimopoulos 

Spoiler

@Jsimopoulos wrote:

@ShashankDahat 

Jsimopoulos_0-1676225962269.png

Jsimopoulos_1-1676226015843.png

To me It is even worse. The PC uses less than 85% of my internet and Edge is running with only 170 kb/s

Some servers intentionally throttle the download limit. You can try a download manager like free download manager, available on Winget

winget install --id=SoftDeluxe.FreeDownloadManager  -e