SOLVED

DoH provider list

Steel Contributor

@MissyQ @Alexandra-R 

Several users have complained that the list of DoH providers (edge://settings/privacy > Choose a service provider) is no longer populated. Until recently, there was a list of four or five (a subset of these, I suppose), but they are no longer available for me in current Stable, Dev and Canary. One user further complained that making a custom entry didn't work. What has changed with DoH implementation?

9 Replies
Same here, neither Canary nor Stable have the DoH list contents.
best response confirmed by Noel Burgess (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for flagging this, Noel! I checked with the team and was able to confirm this is expected. 

Due to a performance issue recently discovered with DNS-over-HTTPS, we have temporarily turned off the built-in list of providers and the auto-upgrade logic that looks at your OS’s DNS setting. Manually providing a resolver URL is still supported.

Here’s some examples of provider URLs that will work if you specify it as a custom provider:

We will re-enable auto-upgrades and the predefined list of providers after we have resolved the underlying performance issue.

@Noel Burgess @HotCakeX 

@Alexandra-R 

Thank you very much for the info,

I'm using Cisco Umbrella's DoH right now (previously known and was available in Edge as OpenDNS):

https://doh.umbrella.com/dns-query

@HotCakeX Were you able to make a custom entry to use this one? Just double checking as I have the team on the line if that's running into an issue =)

Sorry for the late reply, yes i am using it on both Edge stable and latest Edge canary.
I also checked with Cisco online website and it successfully detects my DoH.

No worries at all, thanks for confirming!

Anytime!

@Alexandra-R 

Thanks for the confirmation, Alex.  I'll pass the message on unless you or your colleagues beat me to it.

@Alexandra-R 

Hi,

I think the issue is resolved? on today's update, Edge version 91.0.826.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit),

the predefined list of DoH servers are being populated again with server addresses.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Noel Burgess (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for flagging this, Noel! I checked with the team and was able to confirm this is expected. 

Due to a performance issue recently discovered with DNS-over-HTTPS, we have temporarily turned off the built-in list of providers and the auto-upgrade logic that looks at your OS’s DNS setting. Manually providing a resolver URL is still supported.

Here’s some examples of provider URLs that will work if you specify it as a custom provider:

We will re-enable auto-upgrades and the predefined list of providers after we have resolved the underlying performance issue.

@Noel Burgess @HotCakeX 

View solution in original post