Doesn't jibe, at all!

Silver Contributor

It just occurred that it's, almost comical.  We know Reading view is "Coming soon".  It just seems laughable or odd having Read aloud, but, not Reading view. You'd think they'd go (or come) together.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

15 Replies

@Drew1903 

Have you enabled the flag? Perhaps it first turned up in 76.0.151.0:

EC-Reading-view-flag.png

@Noel Burgess  "Perhaps it first turned up in 76.0.151.0"

It is in Dev Version 75.0.139.4, released last Thursday. 

@Noel Burgess 

Have done this, now, Noel. Never occurred to me would be necessary.  But, after restarting not finding or seeing it anywhere in the browser & that's with 76.0.152.  It's enabled via flag both Dev & Canary, yet, I don't notice an icon or listing for it in either browser.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  "It's enabled via flag both Dev & Canary, yet, I don't notice an icon or listing for it in either browser."

As far as I know, there isn't any way to access reading mode from the browser itself.  It is one of the things that folks have been asking for. 

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts -- we don't have "planned developments list", so we are all shooting in the blind, stumbling around without a road map.

@tomscharbach @Noel Burgess 

Ok, I do, now, have Reading view in both Canary & Dev.  I didn't see it, its icon, in either after Restarting them.  Rebooted the whole machine & now, RV's icon is in its place.  We knew Reading view was in the "Coming Soon" items.  What I find unexpected, not intuitive, not accustomed to any such need, is having to do the flag thing.  Anyway, thanks about the flag & at least Reading view is in my Edge Cs, now.  All's well that ends well.

RV.jpg

Anything in the sense of "from the browser" is only from its icon which, is, now, in its place.  The thing is, when it was introduced in Edge, as far as I recall, it was just 'there'.  It's doing the flag thing to MAKE things be in the browser that in Edge, would just be there.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 "I didn't see it, its icon, in either after Restarting them.  Rebooted the whole machine & now, RV's icon is in its place."

Ah, sure enough.  Thanks.

"What I find unexpected, not intuitive, not accustomed to any such need, is having to do the flag thing."

Using flags for common settings (i.e. dark/light mode, reading view, and so on) is counter intuitive, and more than a little nuts.  This sort of thing should be in the "Settings" menu or in the command bar.  What average, non-technical user is even going to think of "flags" to enable/disable features/functions?  I'm going to keep lobbying Feedback every time I run into something like this.

@tomscharbach 

"What average, non-technical user is even going to think of "flags" to enable/disable features/functions."

No bloody kidding!  Hell, I'm an IT Pro & 4 kinds of Insider & beta tested 4 Windows OSs and sure did not occur to, even, someone like myself.

Same as changing pages to view something in the ellipsis is absolutely insane!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach 

"Okay.  I am officially going nuts.  Five minutes after I posted that the reading view was in place, it disappeared.  The only thing that changed after I wrote the previous comment was that I clicked on the icon and opened a page in reading view to make sure that it worked. 

After I noticed it was gone, I closed Edge Chromium, rebooted the computer, and opened Edge Chromium again.  Still gone.  And yes, I checked to make sure that the flag was still enabled.", Tom 

Tom,

Yes, if you close & (re)open and it is not visible, it will be as soon as, once, after, you select an article.

After.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I agree, Drew. The Edge team needs to start paying real attention to Edge Chromium's user interface. A browser ought to be intuitive. This sure as shooting wasn't.

To cut Microsoft some slack, it might be that reading view is not yet fully enabled/implemented at this point, but still considered "experimental".

I think that what I'm going to do is disable the flag, and wait to see what happens next.

@Drew1903  "Yes, if you close & (re)open and it is not visible, it will be as soon as, once, after, you select an article."

Yup.  I eventually figured that out.  But this is the kind of thing that makes me think that the Edge team needs to pay more attention to the user interface.  In Edge (Classic) the reading view icon is always there, but grayed out when you are not looking at a page.  A "here again, gone again" icon isn't intuitive, at least to my aging brain.

@tomscharbach 

"I think that what I'm going to do is disable the flag, and wait to see what happens next."

That might prove to be interesting.  Will we, indeed, have things by waiting instead of using flags...

YOU should ask Elliot.

And realise, Reading view was 'in' (after relaunching browser), but, no icon until & unless picking an article.  The OS reboot was unneeded... we know, now.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach 

OR

If it ain't broke don't fix it!  When something is quite nice & fine in Edge the way it is, leave it the hell alone.  The RV icon being a prime example.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach 

I will say, though, Tom, no matter what I am glad to have Reading view!

Except it pisses me off to discover THIS Reading view doesn't show an articles photos!  Grrrr >:(  OMG, it is missing Reading view's tools!!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 "YOU should ask Elliot."

A good number of us have repeatedly asked the Edge team to provide four things: (1) a development list, (2) a known issues list, (3) change logs with each release, and (4) "test this, test that" instructions as new features/functions are added.  We've made clear that this need not be detailed, but reasonably high-level, just detailed enough to let us know what is happening and what is planned.

You noticed, no doubt, as well as I have, that we have had no information whatsoever about reading view, other than a "Coming Soon" squib here and there.  If reading view is, in fact, implemented, there has been no announcement.  If reading view has not yet been implemented, but can be implemented as an "experimental" feature using a flag, we've had no information about that, either.

Elliot has been very good -- and other Microsoft employees as well -- about answering specific questions and responding to issues raised on this forum.  But what is the status of reading view at this time?  Your guess is as good as mine.

@tomscharbach wrote:

@Drew1903 "YOU should ask Elliot."

A good number of us have repeatedly asked the Edge team to provide four things: (1) a development list, (2) a known issues list, (3) change logs with each release, and (4) "test this, test that" instructions as new features/functions are added.  We've made clear that this need not be detailed, but reasonably high-level, just detailed enough to let us know what is happening and what is planned.

@tomscharbach 

Totally agree.. Especially with #4.. If this thing is going to get off the ground running, it needs testing and we need to know what it is they are having trouble with so we can help test and iron out the bugs...

Slapping out a feature and saying "here you go this is new and that is new... have at it"... just doesn't cut it.......

my 20cents worth...

Dennis5mile