Discussion - Set Aside Tabs and Warn on Close

Microsoft

Hi Insiders, we have received a lot of feedback about how you would like to close your tabs with the option of easily finding and reopening them later as you move between different workflows. Specifically, many of you are asking for the Tab Set Aside feature from the previous version of Microsoft Edge to be brought back. Some of you are also asking for a prompt to help avoid losing all your tabs such that you can’t find them again if you accidentally close the browser.

• Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window
• Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

Each of these requests seem related to the fact that many of you have a lot of tabs open at once across many tasks and workflows. This leads to a situation where it can often be difficult to manage all of your tabs at the same time, and each additional tab makes it difficult to deal with all of the rest (e.g. tabs get smaller, harder to read each titles, many similar tab icons begin to blur together, etc.). But it can also be scary to close tabs and declutter your workspace, for fear of not being able to find things again later if you need to. We have definitely experienced this problem ourselves, observed it in our research and conversations with users, and agree it is an area where we want to invest in tools to help you be more productive across various tasks. We are actively investigating the best way to address this problem and would love your help and input as we proceed to make sure we get the experience just right.

We have looked through your feedback, and there are definitely some very valid reasons for why there was value in the Set Aside feature such as: Helping you pick up on a task later without leaving the tabs open when you aren’t using them, organizing your tabs into groups related to a similar task, and a short term home for more transient tasks that didn’t warrant saving in a permanent location such as Favorites.

We also reviewed feedback on the Set Aside feature itself from people actually using it in the previous version of Microsoft Edge, and there were some very valid critiques on how it worked and how it could be improved. For example, the Set Aside buttons being in a location where they were often accidentally clicked causing some to think their tabs had disappeared, requests to be able to set aside a subset of the currently open tabs rather than “all or nothing”, or requests to rename and personalize tab groups further to more easily find them again later.

The request for a prompt before closing the browser also feels related, because if people could always confidently find and reopen any of their previous tabs, then there would be less fear or concern about losing tabs if they are accidently closed. This would allow people to feel free to declutter and reduce the number of open tabs with no fear about finding them later if needed, and more easily focus on the subset of tabs they are working on now.

As we begin this journey of investigating how best to address these requests, we are asking for your help. Please continue to tell us more about your experience with Set Aside and closing tabs in Microsoft Edge, why these features are important to you in which types of tasks, what did and didn’t work for you about previous implementations, and how you would improve on these scenarios going forward.

334 Replies
Thank you!! I really missed this essential feature.
Yeah you can test the implementation in Canary and soon on Dev too.
that thread shows how to activate it.

I'm not/wasn't a sophisticated enough user to even know about Set Aside though I occasionally use it now.  All I really wanted is to be warned If I was about to screw up and close Edge rather than close a single tab as intended.  I'm aware I don't make the big decisions and don't have to write the code but it doesn't seem too much to ask to have Warn on Close back.

Yes! "Warn on Close" feature has been too long overdue.
as an alternative to tab set aside, how about an option to save a tab group as a collection and the option to open a collection as a group

this way we would not have to save all tabs and tabs that have been saved could be opened and closed alongside other tabs [for multitasking]
Present situation makes me curse and try to avoid using this browser ever again.
Please put the tabs back.

thank you

@Irishmisthotmailcom 

They don't care about us apparently, they didn't even add the "Warn on Close" yet!!!!!!

@Omar-Os  What do you mean? It's in settings - appearance. 

@Migue333 

Not in the latest "Stable" yet...

@Elliot Kirk 
The necessity for such options is this: we don't want to have to go through the tedium of saving our multiple windows of multiple tabs without losing them. This actually pertains to the reason we use Task Manager to close our browsers (including Edge, Chrome, etc.): By doing so, we needn't worry about setting tabs aside (or whatever app, et. al, you speak of that I've never heard of) because Win10 has advanced to the point that it remembers and automatically reopens them (windows and tabs when we return and restart the browser in question).

This is very handy--nay, essential--to we multitudes who have a great number of subjects we are exploring and several search results for each. (It was likely instituted for those times when we suddenly find the need to download a new app or program and people were losing all that was open as a result. It sucked.

This way we don't want to interrupt what we were doing on any account. Our work is saved in every MS program also, even in the case of power outages! Imagine that you are a writer or a researcher--a student or an executive--who must accurately conquer the five-six minute details of a broader given, in-depth, subject. Meanwhile, you've also watching you online email for an imperative message and you've got an online grocer list going ... the possibilities are endless. 

This, most simple thing, is already included within your settings: On startup, "Resume where you left off." The problem we are experiencing is two-fold, being unenforced by system conflicts:

- MS Edge (Echo, whatever) continues to ask whether we wish to resume where we left off though that has already been inferred and, because this is already inferred in our initial browser settings (and in our internet preferences within Win10's system settings), we are not likely to notice the third redundancy when we reopen the MS browser.

- I just realized that by using the "FrontPage" extension (possibly thinking we suddenly need to despite our homepage already being set as Bing--and this is happening in ALL browsers!!!) is cancelling out every one of our settings to "resume where we left off"!!!

I also suggest another simple, yet major improvement, that would be useful for the prior-noted browser history failures, which to my knowledge no browser yet provides: a means of selecting several items within the browser's history (using, say, click/shift/click or check-boxing more than one link within the history) to reopen those tabs at once. This would certainly ease our frustration when each of the prior "fail-safes" should indeed fail.

People who want set tabs aside back, please upvote the request on the feedback portal too:

Bring back the ability to set tabs aside · Community

Microsoft has already stated they have an alternative planned, but maybe more upvotes will encourage them to get it done sooner.

@MarinM

The alternate they planned was workspaces. But even that was removed in version 97. At this point, I don't think they have any plan to bring this feature back. The solution I am using for this is to keep all tabs open in groups and the tabs discarded when the group is collapsed (via my own extension).

@Elliot Kirk So, it's been 2 years and 2 months since you posted this. Is there any news, or should we just figure that the issue is dead? Here's the thing: MAKE A DECISION! A lot of people want the feature. Some don't. I don't know what more you can be looking for in the way of comments. Just make a decision, already, and announce it! Thanks for letting us vent.

中国网就这样,我也没办法。

@Elliot Kirk I really hate the idea of having this included in collections. Collections have to be manually updated every time you change a tab. I do not want to manually add and remove tabs this completely defeats the purpose.

either 1:

have a collection/group binding method

if I close 1 tab of a group it removes it from the collection

if I add 1 tab of a group it adds it to the collection

if i close the whole group the collection remains intact

or 2:

bring back workspaces and add a "set aside in a workspace" button