Discord screen share freezes when Edge open

Copper Contributor

I've noticed several reports stating the Discord screenshare function stops updating frames when the Edge browser is open (ex. https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/kfcskx/screen_share_conflicting_with_edge_browser_in/).

One user mentions, "I was screen sharing Death Stranding and it was working. I immediately tested all the other games and all of them worked. And then I opened Microsoft Edge. It stopped working again.

I closed Microsoft Edge. It's working again."

Another user shared a video with me where after screensharing for thirteen minutes, it would stop grabbing frames. Closing the Edge browser immediately resolved the issue. Reopening the browser, the Discord client would again stop updating frames. I believe it only happens in the normal browser--not incognito. 

Any context on why the Edge browser would prevent Discord from grabbing frames? 

8 Replies
If you have Chrome installed, does Chrome result in the same thing?

@josh_bodner No, it seems specific to Edge. I've seen users open Edge and lose the stream immediately, then it will come back on closing it. The same does not happen in Chrome. 

I'll definitely ask the team about this since it seems to be somewhat widespread.
Thanks, @josh_bodner.

Here's a user video that demonstrates the behavior. It appears around the 13:30 mark where the game capture just stops. The user demonstrates closing the Edge browser will resolve the capture issue, and when reopening Edge the problem returns. They then close it again and capture works. Finally opening Chrome to demonstrate no problems and that it's Edge specific.

https://youtu.be/J11pzsY2EFk?t=805
It looks like, in that video, it's only a single application that's being shared, and the team is curious if the same thing will happen if the entire screen is shared in Discord instead of just a single application. Apparently those two different modes use completely different window capture methods, so figuring out if only one method triggers this behavior would greatly help narrow down where the problem is.
Thanks, @josh_bodner. I'll see if the user can reproduce it sharing the screen. They did try with and without the new Discord Windows capture API while app sharing, which didn't help.
@josh_bodner, the user cannot reproduce the issue when sharing the whole screen, but mentioned performance is poor while doing so compared to app capture.
@josh_bodner, any leads on the investigation? This seems to be happening with the Windows Capture API and frames just stop reporting after some time.