SOLVED

Developer tools was not display in local language

Brass Contributor

My developer tool always display in English not seleted language in settings, and it will use local language if i make a fresh install  in sandbox.

Tried create new profile and uninstall then reinstall, none work. anyone have same issue? it looks like developer tool was available in en, de, es, fr, it, ja, koi, pt-br, ru, zh-cn, zh-tw.

Change log https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/UPDATED-Dev-channel-update-to-78-0-262-0-is-live/...

It says "Fixed an issue where some strings in the F12 Dev Tools weren’t localized." Is that really fixed???

13 Replies
best response confirmed by gocloud (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @gocloud 

Enable this flag:

edge://flags/

"Enable localized Developer Tools"

fdsfds.png

It's default on my PC, maybe another A/B test...? I don't know this flag in the before, and new installation still display in local language in a Sandbox (Not able to reproduce today, but 100% reproduce in yesterday)

Well we don't know what the default means. default could mean enabled or default could mean disabled. unfortunately, they don't specify that, it was requested lots of times though to do that.

A/B or Controlled feature roll out both could be the culprits too here.

@gocloud I'm a PM on the Edge Developer Tools team. Thank you for the feedback! Developer Tools localization is currently a Controlled Feature Rollout (CFR) that is enabled by default for a small group of users. If you aren't part of that small group, you'd have to enable it yourself the way @HotCakeX explained. We are slowly rolling up to more users, but we are happy to hear what y'all have to say so far. Feel free to respond to me here or file any feedback with the feedback tool in DevTools. 

As for the "enabled by default" or "disabled by default" labels, I can log that feature request. Hope this helps :)

@hiamerica I am not sure the font (CJK character) used in developer tool changed recently? It was a bit fuzzy for localized text.

Maybe font weight changed for localized text, or text render logic was changed, looks thick than Beta version but fuzzy than Beta

Hi,
thanks for your response,
yes that will really help, it's one of the highly requested features, to know what the current status of the flags is. thanks :)

@gocloud Interesting. Can you provide a screenshot of the affected text in DevTools with any personal information blurred out? Just a heads-up, we re-did our CFR, so you might have to enable the feature flag again. I apologize for the inconvenience.

@HotCakeX If this feature were to land, how would you feel about instances where the flag would change back and forth between "Default: Enabled" and "Default: Disabled?" Also, how often does this flag issue affect you? Thanks again for your candid perspective. We really enjoy hearing from y'all!

As long as I know what the default state is, i will be happy :)
because it helps me understand what the current state is so I will know whether i want to enable it or disable it, I usually use flags to experiment the upcoming features so I can provide feedbacks about them. thanks.
Got it! Thank you for your help. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions about DevTools.
Sure, thank you!

@hiamerica It fixed in latest build, only one or two old build was affected, i will let you know if this reproduce in new build.

BTW: Maybe let me know it's controlled by controlled feature roll out in about:flags? just like "test pilot" in Firefox.

@gocloud Please do :) I'll make sure to log that request!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gocloud (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @gocloud 

Enable this flag:

edge://flags/

"Enable localized Developer Tools"

fdsfds.png

View solution in original post