Dev Update to 76.0.159.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we released build 76.0.159.0 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel. Some of the fixes and improvements in this build are in the change summary below

New features and improvements:

• Added a "Copy download link" option to the menu for a downloaded item
  • The context menu for a canceled download no longer shows a list of disabled items, and instead shows only "Copy download link"
  • Added a "Save as" option to the toolbar in the PDF viewer
  • The "Add to dictionary" context menu option for a misspelled word now has an icon
  • For quick links on the new tab page, if there is no site icon available we now show an icon created from the first letter of the site
  • Increased the size of some text on the user profile flyout for readability
  • When a tab is at minimum width and only shows the close button, that close button is now centered in the tab
  • In the Apps submenu, an option now reads "Install this site as an app" instead of showing a really long menu item name that contained the title of the current site
  • When using the keyboard to move through tabs, you can now press enter and not just space to switch tab

Bug fixes:

• The send feedback dialog no longer spellchecks URLs and email addresses
  • Fixed a bug where Microsoft Edge may crash after it was accessed through a remote desktop session
  • Fixed a crash when navigating back to history search results
  • Fixed a crash related to tooltips that would occur in a number of different scenarios
  • Fixed a visual formatting problem with the warning about a dangerous file download
  • Fixed a bug in the DevTools Performance tab where the checkboxes in the event log viewer overlapped with the content of the adjacent pane
  • New tab page settings no longer show up in settings search
  • Fixed a bug with tree views (such as the one seen when adding a new favorites folder) were showing black-on-dark-grey icons in dark theme
  • The icon for the new tab page is no longer black on dark grey in dark mode

Thanks again to everyone for being an insider, and keep the great feedback and bug reports coming.

56 Replies

@Elliot Kirk 

Please add this feature:
1. Open a link in a new tab on website A;
2. Use gesture of “go back to previous page" in the new opened tab;
3. The new opened tab shall be closed and back to website A.

@ShieldAgent 

@ShieldAgent wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

Please add this feature:
1. Open a link in a new tab on website A;
2. Use gesture of “go back to previous page" in the new opened tab;
3. The new opened tab shall be closed and back to website A.

Ooh, I like that feature. It's how Safari behaves on macOS. Whether the browser opens a new tab or I manually open a link in a new tab, as long as I haven't navigated further in that new tab, I can swipe back and Safari will close the tab and take me to the tab that generated it.

@Shawn Stambaugh 

Try Recent Tabs and Tab Position Options addons from Chrome Store.

It seems ludicrous that stuff has to be added all the time from that Google store to try to have this back to what we like and is familiar.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 wrote:
It seems ludicrous that stuff has to be added all the time from that Google store to try to have this back to what we like and is familiar.

Cheers,
Drew

It seems ludicrous that people expect instant gratification from the Microsoft developers. This is a developer version of a work-in-progress. Expressing your exasperation that it's not happening fast enough is like stomping your foot in the playground.

Put down your pitchforks, people.

@Drew1903 

I agree with @dvdwnd. This issue is there @Elliot Kirk

@Shawn Stambaugh 

Shawn,

My point is not in regard to how long anything takes.  I am fully hip to the work-in-progress concept.  I have oft tried to pacify others & suggest patience is a virtue in things like this.

The point was regarding having to > Chrome/Google for stuff over & over.  Stuff we already have & like.  Or the idea of involvement with Chrome & Google 'style' or approaches.  Stuff & or ways, some of us have never cared for in the 1st place.

I know enough not to be impatient with something like this.  Had nothing to do with the speed at which anything is done.  Please, forgive if it was misleading.  It was, indeed, a reply to what the other person had said in the same context.

Heck, we Windows Insiders never stop being involved with a work-in-progress with Windows 10 LOL.  We are pretty accustomed to waiting ;)

Cheers,
Drew

I installed. But don't know how to do so to make it like Safari or how I said above.

@Drew1903 

"It seems ludicrous that stuff has to be added all the time from that Google store to try to have this back to what we like and is familiar."

I disagree with that for several reasons:

- Google Chrome is enormously more popular browser compare to Edge Classic, largely owing to very big extensions pool - small programs that free users from browser developer vision what is right or wrong thus engaging thousands of new contributors;

- Edge Classic never had such reach and freedom driven choice of features offered by Chrome extensions you claim it did;

- current Edge Chromium releases as stated by the MS Edge CVP are various prototypes of the future browser that will likely be released in autumn 2019 with next Windows Feature update. As such they are ongoing experiments, and internal code may grossly differ from one release to  another;

- be very thankful to large pool of Chrome enthusiasts who enable you now to seamlessly enrich your user experience with both core rendering engine and extensions. Take this opportunity while exists.

@ShieldAgent 

You need to configure extension settings, just like you configure browser settings. Use your ingenuity. :)

@sambul95 

That is the same release time suggestion as I put forth a few weeks ago.  It will take at least that long for it to be ready; certainly, not less.

More doesn't necessarily mean better.  Although, 1 thing may be better from one store & for another item it could be the reverse.  Better would be have just 1 store; people like simplicity & one stop shopping.

Rounded corners or not isn't critical, but, keeping the Features we have, now, is, but, they will come in time.  Many of us are making it very clear what those Must-have, Must-keep, items are.  And most find changing pages for the ellipsis items unappealing, not intuitive & counter-productive.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

What is counterproductive IMHO is demanding features transfer from Edge Classic that Edge team already slotted into the timeline long ago. Rest assured, whether you demand anything or not, all Edge Classic features will be converted to Edge Chromium just in time for the autumn release. As to visual experiences, express yourself this board permitting. :)

@sambul95 

Yes, we are, always, aware of & have been aware of the Coming soon list.  There is a big difference between the "demanding" you mention & the fact that we have been making sure the Team is aware of what we like & want preserved.  Certainly, it is likely the same few things most folks have repeatedly listed will, indeed, be included by release time.  Most folks have more understanding of what to expect than maybe you think.  Many of us have been beta testers for years on various products & projects.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

"Better would be have just 1 store; people like simplicity & one stop shopping."

I admire your enthusiasm, but categorically disagree. More people prefer FREEDOM, not one stop shopping. What was traditional for MS - strip this fundamental right from users without asking. I'm glad they are learning basics now.

"Many of us are making it very clear what those Must-have, Must-keep"

But why, if the entire feature set is slotted for transfer anyway? Use your ingenuity to suggest something unknown that would differ Edge from other Chrome derivatives.

"Rounded corners or not isn't critical"

Disagree again. Its not about corners, but about offering homogenized Windows experience that is also very distinguished from other companies offerings and immediately recognizable. Its also about MS know-hows - one of key differentiates users are looking for when choosing software, brand recognition factors. Lets get familiar with Microsoft Fluent Design to begin with. :)

@Dev Lunsford @dvdwnd 

Yes, I'm having this same experience with excessive CPU and GPU usage on the macos version too.  Both builds 76.0.159 and 76.0.161.  It's unusable for me.  Gets very hot and makes fans run.  

I had been using it for a couple weeks with no issues.  I had found one of the "undocumented" download links to an earlier build that had not yet been publicized and that build was great.  A couple crashes, but it was fast and efficient.  I notice in this current build the Windows Defender extension is installed and enabled by default.  I hadn't noticed that before.  Hmm... 

@porksickle 

You need to mention that builds that were NOT installed by Edge web installer, can NOT be updated or uninstalled by standard Windows means. Which build number you talk about? :)

We all hope Edge team will shortly fix this hugely important battery drainer bug.

@sambul95 wrote:

@porksickle 

You need to mention that builds that were NOT installed by Edge web installer, can NOT be updated or uninstalled by standard Windows means. Which build number you talk about? :)

We all hope Edge team will shortly fix this hugely important battery drainer bug.

@sambul95 

The build I used previously was a build directly from Microsoft.  The Verge and a couple other sites had found the URL to the Dev channel download a week or so before Microsoft communicated it, and I downloaded and used it.  

When the Dev build was officially communicated from Microsoft on their website, I downloaded it again and it replaced the previous version.  So I can't check what the previous version number was.  

BTW I'm using the macos version, so I can just drag it to the trash and uninstall anytime I want.  The reason I posted here is because the high CPU usage bug seems to exist in both the macos and Windows 10 Dev builds (I am using both on two different machines and see the behavior both places.)  It appears to be a "cross platform bug".  :) . 

@Drew1903 

"It seems ludicrous that stuff (like Tabs Control) has to be added from Google store to try to have this back to what we like and is familiar."

Lets uncover what happens behind the scene. You remember, its Chromium behind the curtain, not EdgeHTML and other MS stuff? So Edge devs to bring the Tabs Control back (whatever scarce it was)  now have to deal with Chrome.Tabs API with only goForward and goBack methods they have to master.

They need to add some functions and relevant checkboxes to Settings so you can alter default Chrome Tabs behavior as you like. Despite the API may have serious limitations for the task, you don't want to know it, all you want is getting Edge Tabs Control back. But can it happen like that in real life? In fact I wonder, if Edge devs contribute to Chromium APIs while developing Edge Preview features?

That's why its a lot simpler to use existing extensions, each of those been result of countless hours spent by their authors, some polished for years.