Dev channel update to 97.0.1072.8 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 97.0.1072.8 to the Dev channel, and as we mentioned last week, this is the final build for Dev 97, give or take a few small patches.  However, due to the holidays, it will still be a couple of weeks before this moves to Beta.  Additionally, this is our last post for the year.  There will still be Dev releases in December, but there won’t be any accompanying release notes. 

In community news: 

As for what’s new in the browser this week: 

Added features: 

• Enabled support for smart history searches in the address bar.  Previously, this was only available on the History management page. 
  • Added a management policy to control if Internet Explorer Mode Tab In Edge Mode is Allowed, which lets sites on the IE mode list be temporarily opened in a non-IE mode tab for testing purposes.  Note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet. 
  • Enabled support for a management policy from Chromium to control CORS Non-Wildcard Request Headers Support. 
  • Added an API to WebView2 apps to control playing media (Issue 41). 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Linux where certain Settings pages crash or are blank. 
  • Fixed a crash on the new tab page. 
  • Fixed a crash when certain popups open. 
  • Fixed a crash when showing certain menus or popups. 
  • Fixed a crash when interacting with certain popups. 
  • Fixed an issue where interactions with desktop notifications sometimes fail. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes start seeing blank white pages after scrolling for a while. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain types of text annotations in PDFs don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinned tab groups aren’t restored when the browser is re-opened. 
  • Fixed an issue where the mini context menu blocks UI on certain websites that have their own UI that appears upon selection. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where certain sync settings don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where website notifications don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where saving payment card info to the browser sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where importing data from other browsers sometimes fails. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks for sticking with us over the past year, and happy holidays! 

38 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy New Year.

See you next year.

@josh_bodner 

We’re excited to announce a partnership with ZIP that will let you use Edge for shopping and then split up the payments over a period of time.  You can read more about it here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-buy-now-pay-later-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/...

Please don't. Why add a feature that isn't even usable for a majority of regions? Please reconsider this.

When will workspaces come back? I miss it very much
Second that! Gone in the dev channel! :(

They are available on the Version 95.0.1020.53 (Official build) (64-bit). So back to official build for now. Can't really work efficiently without workspaces.
When vertical tabs are used and the bar is collapsed, the tabs which have been clicked/opened, now display the close button (X), rather than site's icon.

@josh_bodner 

This version on linux still breaks drag and drop for me.

This codepen doesn't work with drag and dropping while it works on the beta version of the browser

https://codepen.io/Goldfsh/pen/zBbOqm 

@MWehrstedt MS is a US company with a limited tolerance for other regions of this world. There are many functionalities that do not make send  of even don't work outside of the US.

I have same issue the whole vertical bar seems very flaky and over responsive.
What about workspaces? WIll they come back? I'm still waiting for this great feature
The InPrivate Collection card have inconsistent theme on it and have been there for quite some time.
It appears that the window title text in the tab and the close button is covering the site icon. I had to widen the vertical tab bar and pin it so that the close button doesn't cover up the icon.
What is going on with the Favorites and Download windows while in InPrivate mode? They have a dark background with black text which makes them nearly unusable.

"We’re excited to announce a partnership with ZIP"
You may be exited. I and many other users are not. Stop putting commercial stuff in a browser that clearly should be optional extensions.

@josh_bodner This update made my Edge Dev browser completely unusable on my Windows Server 2016 machine. It doesn't load any content from any page (it keeps "Loading..." forever, and the new page tab that usually has news is completely blank), and even trying to submit feedback doesn't work (the window doesn't open). The only things I can do is open the settings, but I tried fiddling with them and nothing happened. Any clues on what could be happening?

Can you please ask the team to give the vertical tabs Fitts' Law issue a higher priority? Here is the link to the discussion for it https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/vertical-tabs-should-be-consistent-with-fitts-law...

@josh_bodner Triple click selection, copying, and more are still seriously broken when "Mini menu on text selection" is enabled.  Beyond that, the UI to disable it on selected sites is also broken.  The Add button opens the following.  The bug is that the format "[*.]example.com" doesn't work.  I didn't experiment but I don't believe wildcards work at all.  Given the list of pre-configured sites for which it is disabled such as "office.com", I suspect that there is an implied "[*.]" for all entries which itself is a poor idea not only for the inconsistency but for the inability to not include subdomains.

rshupak_0-1637350086095.png

In addition to the dev build, it is still broken in  98.0.1081.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).

^ THIS!!! ^

DO NOT... PLEASE DO NOT BLOATWARE THE BROWSER
WE NEED IT TO BE REALLY SIMPLE TO USE, WE DONT NEED AN ADWARE BROWSER ANYMORE!!!
W11 trackpad swipe back/forward not working anymore :(

@josh_bodner  Mini menu on text selection is not showing up after this update. I turned if off and on again, but this did not resolve the issue.