Dev channel update to 96.0.1028.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 96.0.1028.0 to the Dev channel, and as you can see, it’s already time for version 96!  This is a particularly exciting week for multiple reasons though, first and foremost because we’re almost done rolling out the new version of Edge to mobile devices!  This has some big implications:  first, if you came here from the Update Welcome page, you saw that it means sending tabs between devices is now supported on mobile.  Additionally, that means our favorites deduplication code is now on mobile, so we’re retiring that Known Issue today. 

We also have nearly finished rolling out the new version of Edge on Xbox as well!  For right now, it won’t exactly match the version number of Edge on other devices since it gets shipped with the Xbox OS, but it should be close!  Finally, we haven’t forgotten our desktop users; we’ve got an overview of some of our recent family-friendly features:  https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/09/23/our-top-new-features-are-designed-to-put-your....  In terms of what’s brand new this week: 

Added features: 

• Added a shortcut button in Settings to personalize the Web Widget. 
  • Added a Setting on iOS to restore tabs on startup. 
  • Added the ability to swipe to close tabs on iOS. 
  • Features enabled by default: 
    • The ability to view downloaded Office files directly in the browser. 
    • The ability to edit payment card information prior to uploading it to Microsoft Pay. 
  • Management policies from Chromium that we have enabled support for: 
    • Control if the Audio Process will have High Priority Enabled, which is a temporary measure to work around issues with audio capture when the audio process is running at normal priority. 
    • Set the Print Rasterize Pdf Dpi, which controls the resolution PDFs are printed at when printing them using rasterization. 
    • Control the Print PostScript Mode, which controls the speed and quality that certain fonts print at. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when certain popups open. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening a Shopping popup.
  • Fixed a crash when highlighting text.   
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed a crash when signing into the browser. 
    • Fixed a crash when using Family Safety. 
  • WebView2: 
    • Fixed a crash when closing WebView2 apps while download popups are open (Issue 1723). 
    • Fixed an issue on Windows 11 where updating the browser can sometimes cause files necessary for WebView2 apps to function to be deleted, resulting in crashes or errors when trying to launch the apps or the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where text annotations on PDF documents sometimes don’t save all the typed text. 
  • Fixed an issue where items sometimes fail to be added to Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where overscroll doesn’t work when scrolling with a trackpad or touchscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain Shopping features are available in InPrivate when they shouldn’t be. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Define context menu option sometimes does nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where ungrouping a tab group can sometimes cause the tabs to become invisible. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites and apps can’t be pinned to the Windows taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PWA or website installed as an app sometimes fails or just opens a regular browser tab. 
  • Fixed an issue in Kids mode where Minecraft login fails. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed an issue where browser accounts are sometimes signed out after updating the app. 
    • Fixed an issue where closing the last tab doesn’t automatically open up the new tab page. 
    • Fixed an issue where the Top Sites tiles don’t appear when inputting text in the address bar. 
    • Fixed an issue where requesting the desktop version of a website sometimes doesn’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where parts of the Tab Center UI are sometimes missing. 
    • Fixed an issue where Favorites can’t be renamed. 
    • Fixed an issue where page translation sometimes breaks interactivity with certain elements on the webpage. 
  • WebView2: 
    • Fixed an issue in WebView2 apps where closing a download popup in one app window actually closes the download popup in a different window, not the current one (Issue 1688). 
    • Fixed an issue in WebView2 apps where CreateWebResourceResponse fails (Issue 1706). 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, since we’re onto version 96 here, look for version 95 to hit Beta in its next release, and make sure you’ve got 94 in Stable since it was just released there! 

8 Replies
Hi! any chance, you could release an arm64 deb file so I could install edge on wsl2 on surface pro x. This would be helpful to have access to my synced stuff when I need to browse a site from wsl2. thanks for any attention you give to this request. cheers!

@josh_bodner I am seeing the attached error "sometimes" when I right click a link to open in a new tab or crtl + left click on the same link. If I get this and select the refresh button, the page loads.

Hi,
i'm on debian and edge crashes every time i go to page
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-admin-center
i was on 95.0.1020.5-1, when i opened it for first time. Now i'm on 96.0.1028.0-1 and it still crashes

@elkropac Just as a data point, I am on 96.0.1028.0 with my Gentoo systems and it opens for me.

@elkropac 

I'm on Debian and GNU/Edge (irony of course) does not crash I go to page you've mentioned. Now I'm on 96.0.1028.0-1 and it does still not crash.

You provide no information what you have, Debian is not enough. Pay attention to it in the future. But I do not use Windows-ized bloated GNU/Linux.

--
MS Edge Dev 96.0.1028.0-1
Debian Bullseye GNU/Linux 5.10.46-5, X.org 1.20.11, IceWM 2.1.2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, Driver 460.91.03, systemd 247 (247.3-6)

Sorry i don't get it, web browser is it's own world running inside operating system, maybe some graphic card libraries matters ...

@josh_bodner
It crashes, when i open this page in my profie, which has login to my work account enabled (AAD, no sync available, just login).
It does not crash, when i open it in profile i have set to sync to my office365 family account
As a follow up, this only seems to happen from the Google search results page.

@MikeKG crashing when clicking results from Google is a known issue and is fixed in Canary now, so it should be fixed in next week's Dev.  I would guess all of the crashes everybody here has been seeing were caused by that bug.