Dev channel update to 94.0.992.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 94.0.992.1 to the Dev channel, and believe it or not, this is the last build for version 94, give or take a patch or two.  So if you’re going to need to get this release ready for your organization and haven’t seen this yet, check out our latest security overview video:  Microsoft Edge | Enterprise security with Edge.  And for everything that’s new: 

Added features: 

• Added support for the Downloads popup in PWAs and websites installed as apps. 
  • Added a setting to control if Microsoft Rewards points are shown on the browser’s profile UI. 
  • Added the ability to open local HTML files on iOS. 
  • Added an API to WebView2 for launching the Browser Task Manager. 
  • Added an API to WebView2 to listen for browser exits. 
  • Added a management policy to control if the setting for Web RTC to Respect the OS Routing Table is Enabled.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be live yet. 
  • Re-added URL suggestions to error pages that result from mis-typed web addresses. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where certain antivirus products prevent the browser from opening. 
  • Fixed a crash that happens when popups open or close. 
  • Fixed a crash when interacting with tabs.   
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to a website. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guided Switch crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash when saving autofill data from a popup that offered to save it. 
  • Fixed a crash on certain iPhones. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes shows a profile error upon startup and duplicate profiles in the profile picker.  
  • Fixed an issue on Windows 11 where windows are sometimes blank or white. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching Settings causes it to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching in Settings sometimes doesn’t return any results when it should. 
  • Fixed an issue where Collections sometimes can’t be opened because the entry is grayed out. 
  • Fixed an issue where the current page sometimes can’t be added to a Collection. 
  • Fixed an issue where the page size is blank in Print Preview. 
  • Fixed an issue where the tab audio indicator sometimes doesn’t appear when it should. 
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips like the URL preview sometimes appear in incorrect places. 
  • Fixed an issue where Efficiency Mode doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where spellcheck sometimes gets unexpectedly disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where spellcheck sometimes can’t be enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where passwords imported from other browsers sometimes don’t sync. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where signing back in to verify a browser account when prompted to sometimes results in an error message that it doesn’t meet the criteria to access the resource. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where certain websites can’t be logged into. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where certain sites can’t be viewed in desktop mode. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where navigations are sometimes inordinately slow. 
  • Fixed an issue where the mouse sometimes becomes invisible in IE mode tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where WebView2 applications sometimes show an ERR_SSL_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT_NEEDED error after updating. 
  • Fixed an issue in WebView2 where SetVirtualHostNameToFolderMapping doesn’t apply to child windows opened from the WebView2 application. 
  • Fixed an issue in WebView2 where a “not working” dialog sometimes appears. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Since this is it for version 94, you should also be looking for it to come to Beta soon! 

17 Replies
Question about Edge for Android: is it possible (persistent via a flag) to set the user interface of the browser to Dark Mode, but to still render websites in their original colors instead of automatically convert them to Dark Mode as well?
Latest canary build. Webpage scrolling sucks. PDF rendering sucks. This browser is nothing like classic edge.

I see every toggle you put as a compromise. For example, Efficiency mode. I can see animations and frame rates dropping. If this mode is supposed to kick in for most users when battery is low then you are basically having two different experiences. I wanted it to run efficiently all the time, minus the slightly worse experience.

Hello @josh_bodner 

Where can I report bugs found on the current release of Edge?

Where can I report bugs found on the Beta or Dev version of Edge?

@Paul_VC have you tried disabling the edge://flags/#enable-force-dark flag?  The new Dev/Beta builds should have full access to flags, including this one.  

Any bug can be reported via feedback by going to ... > Help and feedback > Send feedback.
I set that flag to Disabled (Edge Canary latest version on Android 11), and it does not solve it. Websites are still always rendered in Dark Mode).

Seams like you are active and talk more @josh_bodner so why are tab previews marked as addressed when we were were told to discuss what we wanted and Pinned tab previews are not added.

@josh_bodner 

time after time, feedback, after feedback nothing has been done about the profile picture in the profile menu on Mac OS. by the way my profile picture inside of edge, is correct but I don't want to send proof because it's of me.

ethanmenzel_0-1630010994285.png

What happened to Linux packages?
Thank you for sharing
Hi Josh!
Thank you for great update!!. I'm comeback to add 4th reply. Still waiting for Azure AD user sync across device on Linux. Now in this version. I can sign in with work/school account (AAD Enterprise account) completely. !!
Now , still waiting for Sync across Everything !! Great job man!

1st OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64
Linux manjaro 5.12.19-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
2nd OS : Parrot Security OS Linux x86_64
Linux Parrot 5.10.0-8parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-8parrot1 (2021-07-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Ms Edge : Version 94.0.982.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Deberían añadir un mini reproductor movible, ósea una ventana a parte para ver fuera cuando estemos en cualquiera otra ventana o tarea.

@Paul_VC As with most things related to how webpages are rendered, this appears to be behavior we inherit from Chromium (thus why that flag doesn't have Edge in it's name), and it doesn't appear that there's a way to do this in Chrome either, at least as far as I can tell, so this is likely something we'll have to work on ourselves if people request it.  It shouldn't be too hard though since it just needs a switch!  

Good to hear it shouldn't be too hard. Looking forward to its implementation then. ;)

Josh, I tested this on the Google Chrome browser on Android, and setting the edge://flags/#enable-force-dark flag to Disabled (as per your earlier suggestion) does indeed do what it is supposed to do: it keeps the original content colors, even when the browser UI or Android system UI is set to Dark Mode.

Setting the edge://flags/#enable-force-dark flag to Disabled still converts website content to Dark Mode, whereas it should not, so this is a bug in Edge.

Ah, that's a different story then. Let me ask the team if this is something we're tracking since that's not a flag we own.

Note that setting the edge://flags/#enable-force-dark flag to Disabled works perfectly as it should do on the Windows-version of Edge. On the Android-version it does not, as reported above.

(I have not tested this on iOS nor Linux, perhaps someone can test that?)