Dev channel update to 94.0.975.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 94.0.975.1 to the Dev channel, and speaking of devs, if you’re a dev, we’ve got some things for you to check out.  Like if you’re an extension dev, we’ve been working on ways for you to add other users to your Partner Center account:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/add-and-manage-users-from-your-organization-on-to-th....  Or if you’re a web dev, we’ve got an overview of our release of our improved CSS Grid compatibility:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/08/10/compat2021-css-grid-gridng/

As for what’s new in the product this week: 

Added features: 

• Added an option in Sleeping Tabs to put tabs to sleep after less than a minute of inactivity. 
  • Added how much resource savings Sleeping Tabs provide on the tab preview hover popup. 
  • Added support for using PNG images as the custom icons of PWAs. 
  • Enabled by default the ability to print to PDF in landscape layout. 
  • Enabled by default the improved installation dialog for PWAs/websites as apps. 
  • Added management policies:
    • To control if the Password Generator is Enabled
    • To control the Primary Password Setting on Mac 
    • To control if Application Guard Passive Mode is Enabled, which ignores the trusted and untrusted site lists 
    • To set the list to Add Edge Token To User Agent String For URLs, which is the list of sites that will see the “Edg” token appended to the UA String 
  • Added an option to the management policy to control Extension Settings that determines if the extension icon is pinned to the toolbar. 
  • Re-enabled Web Capture on Linux. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a Restart button in Settings crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash during shutdown. 
  • Fixed a hang on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash on Android 12. 
  • Fixed an issue where windows become unresponsive after unplugging a monitor. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where the Appearance Settings page is blank. 
  • Fixed an issue on M1 Macs where the Password Settings page is blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching in Settings causes it to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue on mobile where profiles are removed after installing an update. 
  • Fixed an issue where extensions don’t work in PWAs or websites installed as apps. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes close on their own. 
  • Fixed an issue where searches initiated from context menus sometimes open blank search pages instead of searching for the expected term.
  • Fixed an issue where sidebar searches sometimes don’t search for the correct text.  
  • Fixed an issue where using touch to scroll the vertical tabs pane also changes which tab is active. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Efficiency Mode toolbar icon sometimes can’t be hidden. 
  • Fixed an issue where non-shopping websites are sometimes added to Collections as if they were shopping websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where Collections are unexpectedly disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the active tab sometimes changes unexpectedly when dragging tab groups. 
  • Fixed an issue on Android where signing into Google fails. 
  • Fixed an issue in WebView2 apps where controls like dropdowns sometimes don’t work because they appear behind the window instead of on top of it. 
  • Fixed an issue where the entire browser sometimes flashes black when watching videos while browsing another page. 
  • Replaced the management policy to control if the setting to Open Microsoft Links In Edge is Enabled with the policy to control if Enhanced Link Opening In Edge is Enabled. 
  • Obsoleted the management policy to control if User Agent Client Hints are Enabled. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without you! 

30 Replies
Settings page is too laggy in this release. And navigating between settings tabs makes it even worse. At first, it is a little bit laggy but as I go another categories/pages in settings, it is getting worse and worse.
Probably not the best place to comment this, but you guys changed the iOS requirement from iOS 12 to iOS 13. May be a little silly, but I'm getting stuck with the old version of Edge, and you even let us test it. That's not nice :|
They didn't comment this in the blog, but the PWA icon changed is fixed, last build just show a default blank icon instead of icon you select, now is fixed, thanks!

@josh_bodner This version has a serious printing bug. 

Bugs can be reproduced by:

• selecting 2 "pages per sheet" option.  The supposed print preview should be in landscape orientation with pages showing side by side.
  • while printing on both sides, the direction of pages change. 
I have an issue where my banking website no longer works in edge 93/94 on either desktop or Android. I've submitted multiple feedback submissions across the development period but no one from the edge team has reached out to me. My banking website works fine in edge 92, and works fine in chrome 93/94. I'm really concerned you're going to push 93 to public and it's not fixed. Who do I talk to about it getting fixed?
How do you change the icon for an installed PWA app? I've searched around everywhere and cannot seem to find the option to do so. I'm running the latest version of Microsoft Edge Dev (94.0.975.1).
+1 to this. The updater also appears to perform super slow while updating Microsoft Edge.
You can file a Support ticket, the team should respond to your issue.
This appears while you install a new site as an app. While installing, you should see the button below the default favicon.

@Rohit Yadav Oh, either I didn't notice it when installing PWAs or I must have installed them before the feature was added. Anyway, I appreciate the help, cheers.

We're tracking an issue where Settings is using a lot of CPU even when you're not interacting with it, so this laggy behavior may be related.
I can check! This was likely intentional though, since we try to stick to the same system requirements as Chrome, and Chrome officially only supports the "current and previous major release" of iOS, neither of which iOS 12 is anymore.
Just so I understand what the bug is, when you say the "direction" of the pages change, do you mean one page on a sheet is different than another, or that both pages on one sheet are a different direction than the pages on another sheet?
I think I replied on last week's notes as well, but when you say that it no longer works, what exactly are you seeing? Is it not loading? Not logging you in? Not showing certain parts of the page?
It logs into the site, but most of the UI is messed up or completely missing and there's no text or data being displayed at all. Nothing happens if you click anywhere. The only thing that displays correctly and works is the logout button. The site works perfectly in Edge 92, and it works fine in Chrome 93. Just not Edge 93/94.
A loss of functionality for the expansion of Favorites folders has moved from Canary into this release of Dev. I have reported both the Canary issue and the Dev issue through Send feedback.

It will be good to see this resolved in Canary and Dev before the lost functionality moves into Beta.

It has also been reported in these two posts.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/favorites-folder-expansion-persistence-changed/m-...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/edge-favorites-menu/m-p/2620162/highlight/true#M4...

Hey @josh_bodner when along the roadmap will Linux users be able to log in with their corporate accounts profile on Edge?

When I open Favorites on the toolbar and keep the mouse cursor inside the Favorites page, everything becomes particularly slow, including moving the cursor and dragging the scroll wheel to turn pages. I would like to know what is happening here and how should I fix it?@josh_bodner 

By direction I mean, when I'm printing on both the sides of a paper, the other side turns out to be upside down. This doesn't happen when I print from other apps or softwares.