Dev channel update to 93.0.961.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 93.0.961.2 to the Dev channel.  This is the final release for version 93, give or take some patches, so expect this to be coming to Beta soon!  Since there haven’t been too many builds between this one and last week’s, it’s kind of light this week, but here’s everything we’ve got: 

Added features: 

• Added an allow list to media autoplay settings.  
  • Added the ability to un-ignore password health alerts for a particular website.  
  • Combined the Settings pages for Start, Home, and New Tab pages. 
  • Enabled the new Share experience by default. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where the Web Widget crashes when switching browser profiles. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to certain pages. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the browser crashes after being open for a while. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where PDFs sometimes don’t display at the correct size.  Thanks for being persistent in reporting this and making sure we knew about it! 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes open to blank windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing specific pages of a PDF sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where an error message that “Update policies are configured but will be ignored because this device isn’t domain joined.” unexpectedly appears when updating the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where extension icons sometimes aren’t visible. 
  • Reduced the number of irrelevant entries saved in autofill. 
  • Temporarily disabled the ability to change fonts in Immersive Reader on Linux. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

If you’re using Stable, version 92 made its way there last week, so make sure you check it out! 

34 Replies
Thank you for update. I'm waiting for Azure AD user sync across device on Linux.
Kernel: 5.12.19-1-MANJARO

@josh_bodner

Even though I have disabled usage tracking or any kind of anonymous usage,

Whenever I visit a website, it is sending data to and waiting for "browser.events.data.msn.com"

This is serious privacy invasion for thousands of users who are using Edge browser on Mac

I hope this was done by mistake and not purposely tracking every users activity without their consent.

Also Edge is super slow in loading website on the new beta update on (Mac OS Monterey v12) similar to chrome so i guess it is issue with chromium based browser and new macOs. Hope Edge can fix it

Details:

MacOS Monterey on M1 pro (ARM64)

Yes I do have extensions installed. But I have seen similar behavior even in a different profile which has only 2 extension - ublock origin and json viewer. I do not think this is problem with extension. Let me rephrase the problem - when navigating to a new site, the site even *starts* to load after 3-4 seconds. The problem happens randomly. But while having the devtools open I have never faced this problem. The problem is erratic. Same site will open instantaneously other times. Is there a way to actually find out which extension or process is causing this? I can connect with you internally as well if needed.

Josh, I may have stumbled upon the root cause. I am not sure. I checked the network tab and when the site is taking too long the DNS lookup in the GET request to the site URL is taking 7.53 seconds. Testing over multiple sites I see the DNS lookup always taking 7.53 seconds. This problem started after I enabled DNS over TLS in windows 11. In my limited testing I found the problem resolved if I use unencrypted DNS setting. I am not sure if this is problem with Edge or Windows 11. Let me know if there is any way to further dig in this lead.
Do you let Edge to draw window decorations or did you turned it off? Try to turn it off.

@Tio_Dep do you have different settings or extensions between those two installs?  It's also possible there's just a code difference between the two that's causing it.  

@ankitbko Secure DNS is still a relatively new and thus potentially buggy feature, so I can't say I'm surprised that it was the cause of this.  If you do find a non-DNS repro for this though, the easiest way to rule out any particular extension is to turn off all but one, see if it still happens, and then do that for all your extensions.  

Thanks @josh_bodner . Turning off Secure DNS doesn't cause this issue. Is this a bug related to Edge or should I raise feedback in Windows 11?
@josh_bodner I don't have any different extensions, it's not an extension issue I checked them one by one, I don't have any different settings (tracking prevention, cookies) and anyway I have the same problem on android edge canary for tablets and phones!
After this update, I'm getting issues with sites that use some kind of image slideshow. I use one on my own website, and the images don't change properly, or they look corrupt.

The only info I have is this:

[Violation] 'setInterval' handler took 452ms

The issue doesn't occur with Edge Version 92.0.902.67 (Official build) (64-bit)
无法使用office365帐号登录提示帐号不存在
Do you have a Windows 10 machine to compare? If so, and this only happens on Windows 11, it's possible it's an 11-specific bug that you'd want to report.
Ah, if it's happening on a different device, then it's likely something we picked up from Chromium. In those cases, we usually also get the fix from them eventually too, but make sure you file feedback just so we have it in our own bug database!
Is it still happening after this week's Dev update?