Dev channel update to 93.0.910.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 93.0.910.5 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first 93, so we’re a little lighter this week than last when it comes to changes, but we’ve still got lots to talk about! 

Now, for this week’s notables:

Added features: 

• Added a button on Mac that will directly appear on certain videos to let users enter Picture in Picture mode.
  • Added the ability on Mac to use fingerprint authentication to allow viewing or autofilling a password. 
  • Added the Share option to the … menu in PWAs and websites installed as apps. 
  • Improved inking latency. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when navigating to a website. 
  • Fixed a crash when using the profile switcher in PWAs. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Google Meet. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where certain Settings pages are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Immersive Reader toolbar is sometimes blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where icons on the toolbar that have text bubbles on them, for example extension buttons, are clipped or only partially visible. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning a website to the Taskbar sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where toast notifications from websites sometimes don’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Save/Save As buttons in the Downloads popup aren’t shown properly in certain languages. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where opening a new tab sometimes doesn’t scroll the vertical tabs pane to make the newly-opened tab visible. 
  • Fixed an issue where irrelevant data is saved by autofill. 
  • Fixed an issue where user-installed fonts sometimes aren’t displayed correctly. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guided Switch settings for specific websites sometimes aren’t respected. 
  • Disabled the ability to customize the site list for Guided Switch on devices that have Information Protection enforced since the functionality is broken in this scenario. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Beta users, be on the lookout for version 92 to come to you soon! 

68 Replies

@Eric_Lawrence would've been nice to tag the rest of us with the same issue ;)

Guess who started using the text cursor indicator a few days before this build came out, after updating to 21H1? This guy!

- Histogram: Microsoft.Accessibility.UIAClient recorded 1 samples (flags = 0x41)

612857738 -O (1 = 100.0%)

I'm going to try disabling it and restarting Edge now. If YouTube still hangs then it's gotta be something else.

EDIT: It's like magic. YouTube works. themoviedb.org no longer causes the same hung process that tries to gobble all of my RAM up.

Unfortunately that won't resolve it for me since I'm using the Dev channel of Edge on my Mac. I'm not using Win 10 21H1.
The "edge://accessibility" page and "–disable-renderer-accessibility" flags should both still exist on macOS though. Not sure if the bug exists on multiple platforms, haven't got a Mac to check on, but more than one thing was causing it in Windows because it's a bug in Edge's accessibility code.

@Eric_Lawrence  Here is what it shows. Does that help? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.39.07 AM.png

thanks, @abdelfattah. Yes, @techWiz118 while the reason accessibility gets turned on is different on Mac, the hang bug was in the code that handles it and that wasn't platform specific. You can still visit edge://accessibility to see if any boxes are ticked (to confirm the issue) and can use the command line argument to try disabling Accessibility temporarily to confirm it resolves the problem.
Sorry-- next to the "Elements" tab at the top is the >> icon; click that and you'll see "Console" in the list. Pick that and you'll get the Console output.
That's good to know. I'm giving it a try.

@Eric_Lawrence  

Here you go. It's long.  Let me know what you need next. Thanks!  PS: I saved it as a log file but I can't upload that to you in this thread. If you want that message me?

command.js:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FAILED
assert.js:85 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ assert.js:85
util.js:320 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ util.js:320
promise_resolver.js:84 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ promise_resolver.js:84
icon.js:159 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ icon.js:159
ui.js:213 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ ui.js:213
keyboard_shortcut_list.js:94 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ keyboard_shortcut_list.js:94
parse_html_subset.js:218 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ parse_html_subset.js:218
load_time_data.js:215 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ load_time_data.js:215
lib_react.chunk.js:9 TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
at Xu.isPasswordVulnerable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at settings.bundle.js:1
at Array.map (<anonymous>)
at Xu.mapUiEntryWithPasswordToTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.<anonymous> (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.getFilteredSavedTableData (lib_common.chunk.js:25)
at Xu.sortTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.renderSavedPasswordsTable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.render (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Ha (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at Ua (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at ku (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at ml (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at vl (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at ul (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at lib_react.chunk.js:9
at t.unstable_runWithPriority (lib_common.chunk.js:38)
at Bi (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at Yi (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at qi (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at j (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
at Yt (lib_react.chunk.js:9)
iu @ lib_react.chunk.js:9
lib_react.chunk.js:9 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
at Xu.mapUiEntryWithPasswordToTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.<anonymous> (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.getFilteredSavedTableData (lib_common.chunk.js:25)
at Xu.sortTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.renderSavedPasswordsTable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Xu.render (settings.bundle.js:1)

This resolved the issue with Edge DEV hanging on YouTube, Google Calendar etc. for me. Thanks guys. Just have to remember to remove it in the future.

msedge.exe --disable-renderer-accessibility

@Eric_Lawrence  

Sorry @Eric_Lawrence but I don't think I was clear about the issue. It doesn't crash, after a bit it finally comes up with a box saying "out of memory" with  Okay or Cancel buttons, which really do not make much difference. After clicking one of those buttons, it continues to keep trying to load the page and I do not get an error, but it will again have the box open saying "out of memory".

This accessibility bug will be patched by the Stable version of 93.x, right? That would be a nightmare to try and deal with.
Thanks, @BobD68. The line

is the important one. I've sent this to the owners to fix.
Windows 10 64 bit PRO with 32GB Ram
Glad I could help.

Yes, the hang fix was landed in Chromium in 93.0.4531.0, and thus should already be fixed in the current Edge 93 Canary (Edge v93.0.923).

@Eric_Lawrence here's a screenshot of what I'm experiencing...and this is on the latest 

Microsoft EdgeVersion 93.0.910.5 (Official build) dev (64-bit). If I click wait, it eventually comes back with the question again. I'm able to do other tabs and functions (like menu items and stuff) while it's trying to load. And just a reminder...did not have any issues with this website prior to Thursday of last week.

Ken_LeBlanc_0-1623775284372.png

@Ken_LeBlanc: Yes, this is what the accessibility bug under discussion looks like. Can you:

1) Visit edge://version and copy the top 3 lines (including the Operating System line)
2) Confirm that if you visit edge://accessibility , none of the checkboxes are checked?

@Eric_Lawrence    Hello, one more question. When a new Edge Dev version is released on the Windows side, I can do Help About and get it on the Windows side immediately. On the Mac M1 side, it is now 2 days and the Help About still doesn't get the new version. Do you know why? Or how long it typically takes? Also if I just downloaded the new version would it just overwrite my current install? Thanks and I guess more than one question :)

I just got the newer Dev version just now and the Settings - Password page is still blank.

command.js:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FAILED
assert.js:85 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ assert.js:85
util.js:320 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ util.js:320
promise_resolver.js:84 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ promise_resolver.js:84
icon.js:159 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ icon.js:159
ui.js:213 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ ui.js:213
keyboard_shortcut_list.js:94 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ keyboard_shortcut_list.js:94
parse_html_subset.js:218 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ parse_html_subset.js:218
load_time_data.js:215 crbug/1173575, non-JS module files deprecated.
(anonymous) @ load_time_data.js:215
at Uu.isPasswordVulnerable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.mapUiEntryWithPasswordToTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.<anonymous> (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.getFilteredSavedTableData (lib_common.chunk.js:25)
at Uu.sortTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.renderSavedPasswordsTable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.render (settings.bundle.js:1)
iu @ lib_react.chunk.js:9
lib_react.chunk.js:9 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
at Uu.isPasswordVulnerable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.mapUiEntryWithPasswordToTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.<anonymous> (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.getFilteredSavedTableData (lib_common.chunk.js:25)
at Uu.sortTableData (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.renderSavedPasswordsTable (settings.bundle.js:1)
at Uu.render (settings.bundle.js:1)

@eduardobragaxz Unfortunately, these issues usually take time to actually get the translation done.  If you remember what you specifically wrote in the feedback I may be able to look it up in our database to see what the status is.