Dev channel update to 92.0.902.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 92.0.902.2 to the Dev channel.  It’s been a while since our last release, so there’s lots to talk about in this build!  This is also the last build for version 92, give or take some patches, so expect to see this coming to Beta soon!  Speaking of builds, last week was Microsoft Build 2021!  Since Build is now a completely digital event, everybody can join!  Visit https://mybuild.microsoft.com/sessions to get started.  We’ve also got an overview of everything we talked about here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/05/25/whats-new-edge-build-2021/

To coincide with Build, we’ve got lots of other exciting news to talk about this week.  The biggest is that we’ve officially announced the retirement of Internet Explorer!  If you haven’t read the announcement, check it out here:  https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-internet-explorer-on-windows-10....  We’ve also got an in-depth FAQ here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retireme...

We’ve also got: 

As for everything new in the browser: 

Added features: 

• Added a feature flag to enter Immersive Reader automatically when navigating to an eligible page. 
  • Improved the … menu in PWAs and websites installed as apps to only show relevant options. 
  • Finished rolling out the new Extensions menu, Smart History Search, and Price History.
  • Enabled by default the ability to pin the Favorites, History, etc. menus and have that state remembered, as well as the Collections popup menu. 
  • Added management policies to control if the setting for AAD Website SSO Using This Profile is Enabled, the Automatic HTTPS Default setting, if Internet Explorer Integration to Reload In IE Mode is Allowed, the Internet Explorer Integration Local Site List Expiration in Days, and if Local Browser Data Share is Enabled, which controls how Edge shares local user data with the Windows Search Indexer.  Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have happened yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where new tabs crash as soon as they’re opened. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where typing into a password field sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a tab. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where closing a tab sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening InPrivate windows. 
  • Fixed a crash when installing a PWA or website as an app.
  • Fixed a crash using Smart Copy or Web Capture. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening items in a Collection sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching for a setting sometimes crashes the Settings page. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where searching for settings causes the Settings page to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page to view all permissions for a particular website is blank. 
  • Fixed a hang when opening the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where AV1 videos sometimes don’t work. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where certain videos, like on Amazon, fail to play with the error “video unavailable”. 
  • Fixed an issue where recent tabs aren’t restored via ctrl+shift+T if a PWA or a website installed as an app has recently been closed. 
  • Re-enabled PWAs and websites installed as apps to be restored with the browser’s previous session. 
  • Fixed an issue where the dialog to restore tabs after the browser unexpectedly shuts down sometimes appears unexpectedly if certain extensions are installed. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Default Cookie Setting management policy unexpectedly disables the setting to Block Third-Party Cookies. 
  • Fixed an issue on Linux where sync doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue with syncing favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing multiple times sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the History popup sometimes scrolls or goes blank unexpectedly. 
  • Fixed an issue where new windows couldn’t be opened from the Jumplist. 
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where the list of trackers in the site info popup is blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted extensions can’t be repaired. 
  • Fixed an issue where favorites imported from another browser sometimes aren’t arranged correctly. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing certain types of data from other browsers fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “Switch to this tab” button in the address bar dropdown sometimes goes to the wrong tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where Web Capture or Smart Copy don’t automatically scroll when selecting content. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where keyboard shortcuts sometimes have missing or incorrect symbols. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain UI like the new tab button is unexpectedly colored red. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to control if Internet Explorer Integration Testing is Allowed. 
  • Obsoleted the management policy to Enable Sha 1 For Local Anchors. 
  • Disabled Kids Mode on Linux. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

For Stable users, version 91 was released last week, so be on the lookout for that! 

45 Replies

@josh_bodner 

screenshot-001.png

In the latest build, a cosmetic bug appeared in the Extension area, see screenshot above.

Certain extensions, which have indicators showing the state of the extension via their icon, have icons which are not completely rendered.

@Sumit Dhiman, @wigster Hello, I solved my "access status violation" issue, by disabling all the extensions and then re-enabling them one by one, I found that it is the microsoft Editor extension that is causing this problem. It must therefore be deactivated for the moment!

I am seeing the same behavior as @menegator 

cjmarotta_0-1622728006955.png

Thanks! I find that the 1password extension 2.0.2 (the new one, not the legacy one) causes this problem with Edge v92
Thanks @Tio_Dep, I do not have Editor though but I do have Grammarly and else. Let me check and find the problem.

RE: "Web Capture that save captures into Collections". The official Microsoft Edge page (https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next) says that the feature is already “launched” in v91 stable on May27. According to this forum page, the feature is added in Dev v92  on Jun01. Still this feature is nowhere to be found in Edge stable91, beta91, Dev92 or canary93 as of Jun03. When is the feature truly gonna roll out? Can someone explain the inconsistent info?

@josh_bodner 

Hi!

I'm not found here topic with release build 93.0.909.0, therefore write about my problem in this topic.

In build 93.0.909.0 (x64) for some reason very high RAM (more than 3 gb per tab) consumption when open youtube videos and videos can not playing — after about 1 min the page crash with an error:

«there was a problem on this page»

@rshupak the prompt to translate may not appear, but there should still be an option to translate in one of the toolbar flyouts.  

@rshupak also, the auto-enter Immersive Reader feature is very new and is something we're still working out some issues with, so it's not surprising to hear about this behavior.  

@bhargavreddy the icon clipping issue should be fixed in the latest Canary, which means also in the next Dev!

Nope. And the Translate selection menu item is removed from the context menu for a text selection.

@eduardobragaxz if you haven't yet, can you file feedback about that phrasing difference?  We'll use that to create a bug for the issue.  

@tbinmyarea do you have the flag enabled to use tabs in PWAs, by chance?  That's a flag we got from Chromium and isn't really one we support ourselves, so it's not surprising that it's causing issues.  

@TCollins we're still rolling out support for web captures in Collections, so not everybody will have it yet.  

If there is a hyphenated word, the delivery goes all wrong and if the sentence does not end with the line then there are inconstancies.
Huh, the context menu option is also gone on my machine, but I at least still have the option in the Reading Preferences flyout. I'll ask the team if this is intentional.
I have already, but I'll be annoying and file again right now :p
I never noticed this hidden here. And to be honest, it seems stupid. Why remove the icon in the address bar unless you like exposing people to completely different mechanisms of accomplishing the same task? And why is a on/off toggle switch used instead of a button to trigger the translation task? Finally, why doesn't reading mode honor the always translate option that is exposed from the icon in the address bar?
And the list of supported languages in the reading preferences flyout is lacking the following languages supported by Microsoft Translator

fj Fijian
fr-CA French (Canada)
kmr Kurdish (Northern)
mww Hmong Daw
otq Querétaro Otomi
ti Tigrinya
tlh-Latn Klingon (Latin)
ty Tahitian
yua Yucatec Maya
yue Cantonese (Traditional)

@josh_bodner 

Thanks Josh for your reply. It is nice to find an authentic reply from a Microsoft staff here. You said that the feature is "rolling out" whereas Microsoft Edge page says that the feature is "launched" (please see attached). So obviously you are the one who is telling the truth to the users. Because of the incorrect MS message, the user might spend hours to find the feature in settings/flags/reinstalling Edge and sometimes doing web search or search in forums why the feature is still missing.

Please see attached how MS is defining the three terms "rolling out" "launched" and "in development". Therefore, when MSEdgeWhatsNext page says "launched", the users expect that the feature is launched (i.e., not rolling out). I'll appreciate if you relay the message to the person(s) who is maintaining the MSEdge official page so that the users can know clearly what features are available.