Dev channel update to 92.0.891.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 92.0.891.1 to the Dev channel.  We’ve got lots of exciting changes to talk about, so let’s jump right into it! 

Added features: 

• Added a dark gray theme to Immersive Reader.
  • Added a Setting to turn on or off vertical tabs in all currently open windows. 
  • Added a setting to hide the title bar when tabs are in vertical mode. 
  • Finished rolling out Microsoft Rewards integration in the Account button. 
  • Added support for remembering the pin state of the History and Downloads menus (remembering pin state in general is still controlled behind a flag). 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on startup on Mac. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the browser sometimes doesn’t open if multiple profiles are present. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Shopping features. 
  • Fixed an issue where some websites fail to install as apps. 
  • Fixed a hang when using IE mode tabs. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved the Cookies In Use dialog. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes aren’t restored after the browser is forcibly closed by a Windows Update-initiated machine restart. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain site data is deleted when the browser closes due to the setting to do so being turned on, even though those sites were on the exception list and thus should have been preserved. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching for settings sometimes causes the Settings page to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where some parts of the fullscreen Shy UI don’t respond to input. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos sometimes aren’t scaled or sized properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where the search sidebar sometimes can’t be closed. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps that are installed in multiple profiles sometimes have multiple Taskbar shortcuts instead of just one. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes don’t have icons on their shortcuts when they should. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing the copy/paste settings doesn’t affect content already on the clipboard. 
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes are placed incorrectly. 
  • Fixed an issue where the profile picture on the profile Settings page sometimes is broken. 
  • Fixed an issue where the pages that open when the browser is first opened sometimes change unexpectedly. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain navigations are blocked that shouldn’t be when Family Safety is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue in kiosk mode where the browser never resets after an allotted period of time if the current page is in IE mode. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, all of the feedback to give is what makes this all possible!

43 Replies
Hi! I'm wondering is there any news regarding the auto update situation on Mac? The new update mechanism landed in Canary a while ago, but it seems that all channels, including the Dev channel, still depend on the separate Microsoft AutoUpdate… Can't wait to get rid of it :|
This has already happened on mine, running the dev build and it no longer uses Microsoft Auto update, but instead just installs via Edge, much better implementation!

There's no flags for it either, so not sure if it's just being phased out
This version is crashing sometimes when I try to open links in a new tab
Same here.

The UI font appears vertically squished and horizontally bulging, like Earth, after this update. In the menus, Favorites' names, tab title, tab preview and cursor hover tooltips on the UI. Address bar and webpages are unaffected. Is it just me?

Maybe? ;)
All is well over here on the UI side.
Finding an issue in Dev that is blocking 3rd party cookies even when the setting is off, i cant even use the microsoft site lol

https://imgur.com/a/Cn8Ndmk

@eduardobragaxz we recently made a fix for the red coloring, and the fix for the hover not working should be in next week!

@mkoninin we ended up changing the functionality of the flag to hide the setting to control the titlebar instead of hiding the titlebar itself, but we didn't update the description of the flag until a few days later :)  Sorry for the confusion!  

@MikeT_- There's also a very small space to the left of the back button that's draggable, and we're also working on improving this to make all non-button area draggable.  

@Mapantz What do your spellcheck settings look like?  Have you tried changing languages just to see if that kicks something?  

@KibosJ yes, we're still rolling it out, and since the updater is a separate program entirely, there's no way to control it on your end, like you can with flags for features.  Currently it's only been rolled out to Canary and Dev, so it's expected that Beta and Stable don't have it yet.  

@matb86 do you have any extensions like ad blockers installed?  Or what about Tracking Prevention, what's that set to?  

English (United Kingdom) selected in "Check Spelling" and it is enabled.

That setting has always been like that, when Spell Checker was last working. The settings haven't changed. The Spell Checker immediately stopped working after an update - maybe 4 updates ago?

The only other langauge I have tried, is just "English" and tried things like "Colour" instead of "Color" as that would trigger it, but it doesn't anymore.

I cannot test any other languages, as I cannot type in any other.

Edit: Just opened up the official build release and tested it, spell checker is working fine with identical settings.

Hmm that's weird. I mean I've seen Edge show a green update icon, which I assume is the new mechanism, but I also had Microsoft AutoUpdate popup a prompt to tell me to install a new version.

I've tried to remove the Microsoft AutoUpdate from /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0 but now my Edge can't check for update. When I went to reinstall the newest Dev version using the .pkg downloaded from the insiders site, the installer still bundles Microsoft AutoUpdate and even automatically launch it upon installation of Edge finishes. This is all very confusing…

devHsu_1-1621864421858.png

Help Google fix color display on monitors with wide color gamut (DCI-P3). Your Edge web browser is also affected by this problem. On a wide color gamut monitor, I don't see the faint WebKit logo in Edge in this test: https://webkit.org/blog-files/color-gamut/comparison.html
In Edge, there is no difference between sRGB and P3 in the first test with a red square. Only in Firefox I see a faint WebKit logo.

Here's my bug report: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1211044
Please join us!

I just tried this on both Mac and Windows and it seems to work fine: Enable the flag, restart Edge, go to Settings > Appearance, and there's the new toggle to hide the title bar when using vertical tabs. Very nice! I've wanted this feature for ages!
Hey Edge team, is anyone actually working on fixing the vertical tabs "fitt's law" issue? Here is the discussion for that issue (this issue is driving me nuts! please fix!) https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/vertical-tabs-should-be-consistent-with-fitts-law...

@Mapantz Interesting, next test:  if you create a new profile in the browser that you're currently having issues with spell check in, and then use the same spellcheck settings in that new profile, does the same thing happen?  

Hi,

Edge no longer displays my home page when I start up. I want it to open to google; however, it opens to the new tab page. Same when I open a new tab - I want it to go to google, not the new tab page. However, even when I change the settings, it doesn't help. It is a result of this update? Any way to fix? Thanks.