Dev channel update to 92.0.873.1 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 5/5:  Since this week's Dev build isn't that far off from last week's, there's not that much that's new to talk about, so we won't be posting new Dev release notes this week.  In the meantime though, we'd love to get your opinion about how you'd prefer the pinning behavior of the Favorites and Collections popups to work:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/surveys/survey-pane-persistence-feedback-for-favorites-and-co....  

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 92.0.873.1 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first build from version 92, so there’s not too much to talk about.  We do have a preview of improvements we’re making to the Windows Task Manager though, and what Windows Insiders can look forward to in current builds:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-windows-task-manager-improvements/m-p....  As for what’s new with the browser: 

Added features: 

• Enabled support for a management policy from Chromium to control if Shared Array Buffer Unrestricted Access is Allowed. 
  • Enabled support for a management policy from Chromium to control if Headless Mode is Enabled. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where certain websites randomly crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing certain videos. 
  • Fixed a crash when sending feedback. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a management popup like History multiple times via the keyboard shortcut sometimes opens the popup multiple times or crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes is broken and can’t navigate anywhere if multiple separate user accounts are logged into the device simultaneously. 
  • Fixed an issue where using Web Capture or Smart Copy sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where using controls like dropdown menus on webpages sometimes crashes them. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the setting and the management policy to disable the password reveal button in password fields on webpages doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the management policy to Go To Intranet Site For Single Word Entry In Address Bar doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where changes to saved passwords sometimes don’t sync. 
  • Fixed an issue where notes or comments in Collections don’t sync alongside the rest of the content. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening favorites from the Favorites management page sometimes fails.   
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to restore tabs after opening the browser unexpectedly appears. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting all text in a PDF sometimes doesn’t actually select all text. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Vertical Tabs pane sometimes doesn’t collapse. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing data from another browser sometimes misses some things. 
  • Fixed an issue where favicons in the Windows taskbar preview thumbnails that appear when you hover over a window icon on the taskbar sometimes aren’t correct. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on Taskbar shortcuts of pinned websites or websites installed as apps sometimes opens a window with a separate Taskbar icon instead of attaching the window to the existing one. 
  • Fixed an issue where Math Helper sometimes fails to load. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget is sometimes blank or black. 
  • Fixed an issue where Sleeping Tabs that aren’t supposed to be discarded sometimes are anyway. 
  • Fixed an issue where the back/forward navigation buttons sometimes don’t work in Kids mode. 
  • Fixed an issue with exiting Kids Mode when the prompt to ask before closing the browser if multiple tabs are open is enabled in Settings. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Since this is the first build of 92, that means version 91 is also set to go to Beta! 

43 Replies
Another update with the extensions button behavior. Can you please at least tell us you won't change it if you decide that?

The smaller text on the address bar looks funky on my screen. It looks like it needs anti-aliasing. My laptop's screen is 1080p, I don't know how it looks on higher dpi screens.

Are you on linux? Cause the address bar and title bar all always appear small on both chrome and edge. The size depends on system font.

@josh_bodner 

There are missing labels in DevTools:

Screenshot 2021-05-01 125728.png

And I want to make a request. Could developers consider making Chromium flags available for features 'OverlayScrollbar' and 'JXL'?

My labels are in place
Yeah, the flag #edge-enhance-text-contrast is causing label issues.
i want when close browser with multiple tab - ask for confirmation. it is not difficult to fix this (ask for confirmation work when download in progress - multiple tabs are almost the same...)
clipboard (copy/paste) to the browser....
do not know is this work in windows. but definitely not work in linux
fix translate popup (it is like nags on every page with different language and disabling translate offering, removes translate button completely, not only offering ...)
i want translate button without popup (if i wish translation, i can click button, no need popup on every page...
I still am having issues loading PDFs for past few builds. Only the first page loads on most files.
And sometimes, the PDF tool bar does not appear. This is on Mac Mojave.

@josh_bodner 

So, 92 and there's still no restoration of a good usable UI for left and right clicking on extension buttons when one has many more than will fit on the toolbar. (Again, the 'extensions button' may have uses as an extension manager but it is hopeless as a UI for using many more extension buttons than will fit on the toolbar.)

Given a development with google Chrome, this is now how it is for me:

Edge 90, with the new download UI but the old area for extensions not on the tollbar, was ahead of Google Chrome for me on two principle grounds: 1 Edge left bookmark menus open when middle-clicking on a bookmark, which Chrome didn't, and 2 Edge maintained a good UI for using many more extensions than will fit n the extension bar after Chrome had dropped that. This not only put Edge ahead of Chrome for me, but also on a par with Firefox and a contender for use instead of Firefox.

However, in Edge 91 you have completely wrecked the UI for using many more extensions than will fit on the toolbar, as with Chrome. And in Chrome 91 (current Beta) they have FINALLY introduced middle-clicking leaving bookmark menus open in Chrome (which Chrome users have been repeatedly requesting since at least 2011). This now puts Edge BEHIND Chrome for me - same issue over the use of more extensions than will fit in the toolbar, but has slightly less impact in Chrome simply down to Chrome using smaller toolbar buttons so I can fit more of the extensions on the toolbar.

Bottom line now for me therefore is that neither Edge nor Chrome are suitable contenders for use instead of Firefox simply on the grounds that Firefox has a properly well thought out UI that takes into consideration people who use many more extensions than will fit on the toolbar (a 'toolbar overflow' dropdown menu - NOT the same as the More menu - where the user has the choice for each extension whether its button appears in the toolbar or the toolbar overflow menu or neither, and can also re-order the toolbar overflow menu items just as with the toolbar itself). And Edge has now even fallen behind Google Chrome as backup browser to use on the odd website so made for Chromium that Firefox has a problem.

I am forced to presume there is actually no one on the Edge development team who both browses widely and uses a lot of extensions, having wide experience of the extensions ecosystem. Because if there was such a person they would have immediately seen the problem the first time the putting-the-open/save-dialog-on-the-download-shelf debacle was suggested and saved months of wasted coding. And they would also have immediately seen the problem the first time someone suggested removing the old UI for extensions not fitting on the toolbar and dimly thought this current extensions button was in any way an acceptable replacement for that usability. You need to hire a new member of the team specifically as someone who browses widely and uses a lot of extensions. And then listen to them.

I now feel like I've wasted a year and a half on this browser. I just can't believe that you could actually get it, with 90, not only ahead of Google Chrome but suitable to move to from Firefox, but then in one fell swoop RUIN the extensions UI for people who use 25+ extensions and send Edge crashing back to the bottom of the heap. I just feel sick at the whole business.

Thank you for sharing and updates.

@josh_bodner It seems that picture in picture don't work properly, nothing happens when I click on the icons (dev version). In canary works.

But, after I update Microsoft Edge (dev) to version 92.0.873.1. I can't paste again my text from LibreOffice to Microsoft Edge (dev). On the previous version I can paste my text from LibreOffice to Edge browser.
Spellchecker still not working. 3rd time reported.
Bug found with textarea, remove last line crash the current tab.
Reproduce bug : Start with an empty textarea, make a new line then press back to remove line, you will show "Error code: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION"
Cannot paste passwords from keepass - on linux. It was broken in 91.0.864.1-1, fixed in 91.0.864.11-1, now broken again in 92.0.873.1-1

When are the mobile versions get some love?
There are updates, but the core is stuck on 4X for as long as I can remember.

Also syncing favorites on Android is still not working properly. I keep getting double entries for folders in my favorites bar. The only way to temporarily fix it is to uninstall/reinstall.

Anyone being able to sync Collections on Linux?
The latest build 92.0.873.1 is not syncing Collections. Tried a couple of times, but after the initial walkthrough steps it just stays blanc.
I do have Collections synced on Windows and Android.

you can get the old extensions UI back by right clicking and hitting hide from toolbar
No, I'm on Windows 10. Last week they resized the font. It was bigger.