Dev channel update to 91.0.838.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 91.0.838.3 to the Dev channel.  Before we get started, we wanted to make sure you’re aware of an opportunity we mentioned last week.  If you’re a Collections user, we’re running a survey to learn more about how you use them, and as an incentive to contribute, you may even win some money!  To contribute to our research, take the survey here:  https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eWkUzl9D05MxqUS

We also are aware that people are continuing to see Edge sometimes display its UI in an unexpected language.  If that’s the case, we’d love to know more about it, and have started a discussion here so we can learn more:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-edge-displays-in-an-unexpected-languag....  As for everything that’s new in the product: 

Added features: 

• Sign-in and sync for personal Microsoft accounts is now turned on by default on Linux!  See our announcement from last week for more details:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/users-can-now-sign-in-and-sync-their-favorites-with-...
  • The PDF mini menu is gaining two new options!  When you highlight a word, you’ll now see an option to search for that word or to define it.  Those two options have been promoted from the full context menu due to common use, and you can read more about it here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-dictionary-for-pdf-mini-menu/m-p/2243276
  • Added the ability to open the Favorites, History, etc. management pages by clicking the Favorites, History, etc. name at the top of their respective popup menus. 
  • Added a setting to control whether or not Sleeping Tabs appear faded. 
  • Added a notification to switch profiles when a website or PWA is installed in one browser profile and you try to install the same one again in another profile.  Note that this has been rolling out over the past few weeks, and is now enabled by default. 
  • Added a management policy to control if Application Guard Traffic Identification is Enabled, which controls if Application Guard windows send extra headers to identify to web pages that they’re being showing in an Application Guard window.  Note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on startup that occurs if Edge has allowed websites to send desktop notifications. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where Kids Mode sometimes crashes on launch. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos on Netflix sometimes fail to play with error D7353. 
  • Fixed an issue where copying text out of Information Protected PDFs causes a crash. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when entering Kids mode. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the … menu in PWAs or websites installed as apps crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to file: URLs. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget won’t load and just shows that “Something went wrong”. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget sometimes fails to open if Edge isn’t already open. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser uses too much memory the longer it’s open. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools Console is sometimes completely blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs appear to never wake up from being asleep, even when they’re clicked on. 
  • Fixed an issue where the table of contents in some PDFs are blank.  
  • Fixed an issue where Settings pages sometimes don’t load or are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening certain HTML files in IE mode fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain interactions with the vertical tabs pane fail when the Find on Page popup is open. 
  • Fixed an issue where downloads are sometimes initiated without prompting the user beforehand even though a prompt is expected. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where scrolling doesn’t behave properly, especially when using the keyboard. 
  • Fixed an issue where a notification is shown to restart Edge in order to install an update, even though there’s no update available to install. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing data from other browsers sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where portions of the Web Widget sometimes becomes invisible when switching browser profiles or themes. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain portions of webpages sometimes don’t render or work properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where permission prompts from certain websites appear too small or cut off. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Shopping flyout sometimes doesn’t open. 
  • Fixed an issue where vertical tabs sometimes forget their collapse state after toggling between vertical and horizontal mode. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

A special thanks to all our Linux users for helping us get to the point where we could turn on sign-in and sync!

31 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the update, could you share some info about this and what it's used for:

image.png

it's in edge://settings/profiles

controlled feature rollout at the moment. I have my guesses which I hope they are for showing Edge history in Windows 10 Timeline..

I don't know what you guys did, but opening a new tab is crazy fast now, even with the pre-load option disabled. The only problem is the scrollbar showing up for a second, then disappearing.

@josh_bodner 

Nothing to return a usable expansion/overflow area for the toolbar again. The Extensions button may have other uses, but it is not this. One per line, all extensions listed including those already visible on the toolbar, only in alphabetical order, is just useless as a UI with 10 extensions on the toolbar and 17 more, a number of which I need to click on frequently. The Extensions button menu is just too clogged and cumbersome for extension USE. The old More menu toolbar extended area was great 6: extension buttons per line, spacing just as on the toolbar, NOT including those already visible, and able to be reordered,, it made use of many extensions quick and easy, unlike now. Back in the More menu, or a dropdown from a new tool overflow button, on/off options, whatever: I can't use Edge now like this.

It's so depressing, You had actually just fixed every issue I had with desktop Edge, making me able to use it, and the very next update you wrecked it by taking out what was to me a vital feature. I'm thinking you are committed to just this new extensions button now, and not keeping a to me usable toolbar overflow UI, so I'd best just recommit to an alternative browser.

And Android Edge .... you're doing nothing. Still chromium 77, FFS, and no sign of introducing either the built in darken websites from Chrome or the ability to use an extension like Dark Reader - and without that I can't use it at all. So I suppose it doesn't matter if you make desktop Edge unusable for me, as you apparently have no intention of making Android Edge usable  - almost nothing's changed for over a year - and I'll only consider changing to a browser that works for me on both laptop and phone.

Hi! @josh_bodner !

I've installed NOTION as an app (PWA) on MacOs, but the icon has a white background really annoying. It's a bug?

WandoSchneider_0-1617227119040.png

Yea, but the new tab page still uses 95+ MB, and it's not as fast as Chrome's or Opera's.

Yeah. Comparing to Firefox here, it’s kinda weird, and Firefox behaves as I would expect. It’s weird that Edge has to load the New tab. Actually, it’s kinda weird that Edge has to load Settings as well. But oh well...

@HotCakeX If you click into it, we've got a description there, although right now the features it's powering haven't been built yet; we're just testing the data sharing portion to make sure we've got it right first: 

josh_bodner_0-1617238280395.png

@josh_bodner 

Chromium  91.0.4454.0  notification_helper.exe   1203,00 KB
MS Edge 91.0.831.1 notification_helper.exe 2768,89 KB
MS Edge 91.0.838.3 notification_helper.exe 44141,88 KB

Can we know why?

Hello,

How to hide extensions icons without the extension button enabled?
Agreed. I'm hoping that the team is engineering something. But Idk how long I can live with having an inch long URL bar simply because I happen to be a power user, before I move to Firefox just to get something that's useable.

And this is from someone who uses collections daily so I really don't want to end up doing this.
If the extension button/hub drives you crazy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/edge/comments/l5x30y/so_you_dont_like_the_new_flyout_menus_here_is_how/

Make sure to disable startup boost btw.

They haven't improved Edge in regards to touch and tablet so it's wishful thinking that you'll get them to move fast with Android Edge or Extension Button/Hub improvements. MS has never been known for being agile and good with rapid development - that's why they are losing marketshare.

@josh_bodner 

Hello
indeed, would it be possible to evolve edge android and edge on tablet (with a home screen background on edge for tablet)
Thanks

Hello @josh_bodner 

There's one update missing from the change log - a new flag edge://flags/#edge-history-accelerator-override (Enable history accelerator to open the full page). It's an important one [for power users], because it addresses an issue of the broken Ctrl+H workflow introduced with the new History pane.

On the one hand, I'd like to thank the Dev team for listening to our feedback. On the other hand, I'd like to request a permanent setting for this flag. Because we all know what happens to flags - they disappear and never come back. And so does our UX.

Thanks,
Vadim

@azrael99 

Spoiler

@azrael99 wrote:
They haven't improved Edge in regards to touch and tablet so it's wishful thinking that you'll get them to move fast with Android Edge or Extension Button/Hub improvements. MS has never been known for being agile and good with rapid development - that's why they are losing marketshare.

that's not true.

if lack of those things was a factor in market share then Chrome would have 0% market share due to their awful UI in desktop with touch and mouse.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX If you click into it, we've got a description there, although right now the features it's powering haven't been built yet; we're just testing the data sharing portion to make sure we've got it right first: 

josh_bodner_0-1617238280395.png

Thank you, I was trying it on latest Windows insider builds and was wondering why it didn't work, it's very exciting to try it once it's fully built and complete :)

Thanks a lot for the update, in this version the developers have also fixed the problem of lagging webcam on M1 Mac ;)

@azrael99 "MS has never been known for being agile and good with rapid development - that's why they are losing marketshare."

The global all-platform (desktop/mobile/tablet) market share has remained more or less static over the last year.  Edge has gained market share (0.13% to 3.45%) as Edge Legacy (2.19% to 0.31%) and IE (1.63% to 0.81%) have been deprecated, but the combined Microsoft browser share has not materially changed (3.95% to 4.50%).   It is a bit early to gauge market share trends for Edge.

Browser-Market-Share.jpg

Chromebooks gained significant market share at the expense of Windows PC's during 2020, but that seems to be driven by distance learning demand during the COVID pandemic.   Chromebooks have dominated the education market for several years and the pandemic increased demand in that market significantly during the past year.

导入收藏夹问题那个版本修复? 捕获.PNG@josh_bodner 

Hello.

I had to go back to version, 90.0.789.1 to be able to use the text to speech feature.

In my experience, from version 90.0.789.1 onwards, Microsoft Online voices are not shown in the voice configuration section in Edge Linux.

I have tried these versions on Fedora 32:

microsoft-edge-dev-90.0.789.1-1.x86_64 - Voice Ok

microsoft-edge-dev-90.0.796.0-1.x86_64 - Voice Bad
microsoft-edge-dev-90.0.810.1-1.x86_64 - Voice Bad
microsoft-edge-dev-90.0.818.6-1.x86_64 - Voice Bad
microsoft-edge-dev-90.0.782.0-1.x86_64 - Voice Bad

microsoft-edge-dev-91.0.838.3-1.x86_64 - Voice Bad

Please consider the following suggestions.

In many cases it is better to use the text-to-speech function on the page in normal mode (not in reading mode).

I also think that it is important to have an option to read the text selection, instead of entering the reading mode.

On the other hand, the new options to configure the reading mode are welcome and very useful.

I regret not being able to use them, as Edge's voice system is broken in the version microsoft-edge-dev-91.0.838.3-1.x86_64.

Greetings