Dev channel update to 91.0.831.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 91.0.831.1 to the Dev channel.  To start out, we’ve got two big features we’re excited to unveil, as well as some other exciting community updates: 

As for all of this week’s new features and fixes: 

Added features: 

• Added an option to the right-click menu to open the current page in Immersive Reader.  Note that this option is only available on pages that are eligible for Immersive Reader to begin with. 
  • Added the ability to use the system theme on Linux. 
  • Added a management policy to control opening a PDF in Secure Mode.  Note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet. 
  • Added a management policy to control if New Tab Page Content is Enabled, specifically content from Microsoft News.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Family Safety. 
  • Fixed a crash when submitting feedback. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites crashes Edge in Kiosk mode. 
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes unexpectedly close. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge crashes on close, causing the prompt to restore tabs to unexpectedly appear the next time it’s opened. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites like Youtube sometimes crash soon after loading. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes fail to open. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget sometimes appears frozen or blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where some websites don’t load the first time when using Family Safety, forcing the user to manually re-load the page. 
  • Fixed an issue where URL suggestions when the typed URL results in a failed navigation but is similar to a known URL are broken. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the autofill suggestion popup appears more times than expected per page. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill popups appear on fields where they aren’t relevant or expected. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning a website to the Start menu via the edge://apps menu fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a desktop notification from a PWA or website installed as an app doesn’t open the app to that specific content if the app wasn’t open. 
  • Fixed an issue where the right-click menu option to add all tabs to a Collection sometimes is disabled unexpectedly in one menu when it works in another. 
  • Fixed an issue where images sometimes don’t load when viewing pages in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing via an extension fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where media keys on keyboards sometimes don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where individual tabs can’t be restored from previous windows in the Recently Closed section of the History popup because the windows don’t expand.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple cameras are sometimes unable to switch which camera a website is using because the selection dropdown is disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where tab hover cards sometimes get stuck onscreen, even over other applications. 
  • Fixed an issue where Kids Mode sometimes can’t be escaped from since re-opening Edge after exiting Kids Mode results in going right back into Kids Mode. 
  • Fixed an issue where the management policy to Redirect Sites From Internet Explorer Prevent BHO Install sometimes doesn’t work after updating Edge. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to control whether or not Tab Freezing is Enabled.  This policy has been succeeded by management policies for Sleeping Tabs. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, it’s your feedback that makes all this possible! 

52 Replies
Thank you for adding sync support to Linux!

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the update, lots of good stuff and changes! the most impressive one is the sync support for Linux users.

also I want to emphasize that without an ability to customize the right-click menu, adding more options in there just makes it harder and harder to use and find the option we are looking for quickly.

right-click menu has too many options that either have equivalent somewhere else in the UI or are not used at all by the user.

I really want an ability to customize right-click menu, remove things I don't want and only leave options i actually use.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/remove-unnecessary-items-from-right-click-menu-in...

Thank you!

With Linux sync and all those splendid features, there is no more obstacles to really climb to number uno of browsers!

But on Android, drop those build in addons and give users more choices. Listen, ublock is better than adblock plus and that newsguard, please no, it is more than essential to give people ability use their own brains and learn to understand internet again, without anybody to say anything, because that if anything can turn people incredibly angry.

And also, we need those gpo templates to windows :)
It bothers me a bit that the history flyout has a three dot menu with only three buttons inside. Why not just lay those buttons next to the spyglass and pin buttons?
Nice progress for Linux sign-in. Please enable for corporate accounts ASAP as M365 content security policies are killing our Linux users at work.
The address bar doesn't respect the browsers "overall appearance" when a darker theme is set. For example, I have the appearance set to "light" and the theme to "Moonlight glow", and the address bar shows as if the appearance was set to "dark". If it's not a bug, I understand that it's a darker theme, it should default to dark. But it's just the address bar, so it's a little weird. I believe it's a bug, though, as it doesn't happen the other way around (i.e. dark appearance, light theme).

@josh_bodner 

Well, you guys may find each and every update feature 'exciting'. I just find it all depressing at the moment.

1 Dev joins Canary in having the flags back for Tab hover cards and tab hover card images, but I still get no hover cards or even tooltips.

2 You've done nothing about the removal of the toolbar button expanded area at the top of the More menu, while also doing nothing about the Extensions button and drop down, which by no means acts as an acceptable replacement. Keep the Extensions button for extension management by all means, but (a) turning it off must NOT make extension buttons set to not visible on the toolbar visible again, and (b) turning it off MUST make it itself disappear from the toolbar, like with the History, Downloads and Favourites buttons. And you MUST add (back) an expanding area for more extension buttons than will fit on the toolbar which ONLY shows the ones not visible on the toolbar, allows them to be re-ordered, and has them all close and visible together. Add it back to the More menu, or have them like that but in a dropdown from a 'tools overflow' button. The new extensions button dropdown may be fine for extension management, but with one per line, and all included, even the ones  already on the toolbar, all in alphabetical order and no re-ordering, when one has e.g. 27 extensions, more than 10 frequently needing right or left-clicking is just appalling for extension USE. You have wrecked the usability for me, so I'm back to fulltime browsing in Firefox.

the F12 console is again broken in Linux, it only show a empty white screen, this is the second that is happen *.*
Thanks so much for adding sync! Edge is now my main browser on Linux.
Feedback related to the survey, will that be possible to share the survey in Microsoft Forms?
It provides valuable data and is user friendly too.
the same as win10 , show an empty white screen in console tab

@Reza_Ameri 

@Reza_Ameri wrote:
Feedback related to the survey, will that be possible to share the survey in Microsoft Forms?
It provides valuable data and is user friendly too.

I asked them before and this is what they replied:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/march-survey-not-working-for-me/m-p/2206337/highl...

qualitics isn't bad or unfriendly though.

THANKS FOR HARD WORK ON LINUX SYNC! APPRECIATION FROM CHINA!

@kumiko if you haven't yet, can you file feedback for the F12 console not working?  That'll make sure we have a bug in our database for it if there isn't already one.  

Yes, i sent the other day

Where are the Global Media Controls? They seem to be missing now on the latest Edge Dev, but are still present on Edge Stable...

@HotCakeX 

Thank you for the link, Microsoft Forms is user friendly and it is within Microsoft's domain and in addition when Microsoft department working with Microsoft product could come up with new feedback and share it directly with the team and because it is within Microsoft, the response would be better. I also love the report from the Microsoft Form too.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but qualitics is user friendly too. I'd prefer Forms too but if that's what they prefer and have more experience with then no problem. talking more about it will just take be off-topic to this thread.
Did you drop support for glibc 2.17?