Dev channel update to 90.0.818.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.818.0 to the Dev channel.  This is expected to be the final build for major version 90, so it’s what we’ll be sending to Beta soon, give or take one or two more small updates.  In the community, here’s what going on: 

As for the product, here’s all that’s new: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to sort overall Collections. 
  • Added the ability to drag and drop downloaded files from the list in the Downloads popup into webpages or folders.
  • Added the ability for users to manually search through their autofill data by pressing the / key. 
  • Added an option to the Disable Developer Mode Extensions popup to stop showing it.  Note that this popup only appears in Beta and Stable. 
  • Finished rolling out the new Downloads popup menu. 
  • Finished rolling out Startup Boost. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge may be unusable the first time it is opened after an update, but closing and re-opening it fixes it. 
  • Fixed an issue where using an extension that has a popup menu in a PWA or website installed as an app causes the browser to crash. 
  • Fixed a hang when uninstalling a PWA or website installed as an app. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening the Web Widget. 
  • Fixed an issue where interacting with the Web Widget when the browser is using a Guest session sometimes leads to a crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages crash upon loading. 
  • Fixed an issue where some videos appear black but audio plays fine. 
  • Fixed an issue where images don’t display properly on certain websites. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved the Site Information popup.
  • Fixed an issue where the Profiles Settings page sometimes shows a broken image with the message “HIDE_HEADER”. 
  • Fixed an issue where focus automatically moves into the Downloads menu when it appears to ask users what to do with a pending download. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding notes to a Web Capture causes the captured image to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Tab menu has a duplicate option to Select Next Tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs forget they’re supposed to be horizontal after exiting fullscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages appear too wide and can’t be scrolled to see all their content. 
  • Fixed an issue on Linux where scrolling the vertical tabs pane switches the active tab instead of scrolling the pane. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “See more in sidebar” link in dictionary definitions in PDFs doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing the browser’s zoom settings also incorrectly affects the Web Widget.    
  • Fixed an issue where installing a PWA or website as an app sometimes results in the app having no favicon even though the website did before it was installed. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to control the SSL Version Min. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain VMWare software may run into an issue where Edge will no longer open.  For more information, see their help article here:  https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Carbon-Black-Cloud-MS-Edge-Failure-to-launch-aft....  
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks to everybody who’s being on this journey with us, we couldn’t do it without you! 

54 Replies

@Nate Miller 

@Nate Miller wrote:
I had to uninstall this Dev version because the Carbon Black anti-virus program that my company uses suddenly began using 25%-50% of my CPU every time I tried to open MS Edge Dev. Has anyone else seen this sort of issue?

Hi,

yes, other users reported the same thing, it's resolved now in Edge stable, but not sure about the status on Dev channel.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/90-0-818-0-or-march-monthly-updates-edge-processe...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/problem-after-latest-update-to-edge-version-89-0-...

@josh_bodner 

Tab Hover Cards seem to be giving me a lot of trouble on MacOS. When trying to switch between tabs or, especially, close a tab, Edge seems to miss the clicks quite frequently. Sometimes I have to click two or three times to close a tab. This always seems to coincide with the hover cards popping up. I disabled the Tab Hover Cards flag and the issues seems to have gone away. Please let me know if I can provide further data to help nail this down. I'm using horizontal tabs.

the sort options in Collections or Collection Items are not remembered. 

I assume you've filed feedback for this?  I'll ask the team if it's a known issue, and if not, we'll use the feedback to create a bug.  

when the "search in page" thingy, (not sure what to call it so attached screenshot), is open, we can't click on any tabs in Vertical tabs sidebar to go to them, doing so will immediately close the vertical tabs.

I can't repro this in the latest Canary, can you?  

@eduardobragaxz Don't worry, the extensions team is definitely getting all your feedback about the extensions menu, even if we aren't responding here since there's not much we can say yet!  

@Yonggjo As long as you sent feedback, the issue is logged in our database, and that's what's important.  We've found that most people don't have monitors stacked vertically, so issues like these aren't too high on our priority list, but we've also found plenty of other bugs specific to having monitors stacked vertically, so this is a scenario in general that we're keeping an eye on.  

The latest dev update seems to have broken the usage of Passwordless login with the use of FIDO2 Yubikey. My Yubikey is PIN protected, but the PIN windows is never shown after the new update.

@Jaa9H Assuming this is still happening in the latest Dev, have you filed feedback about this yet?  If not, please do so we can use it to create a bug for this issue.  

Now scrolling is broken even in stable version of Edge.

@yoSachin this is likely due to the fact that we reverted back to our old scrolling behavior in all builds, which fixed it for many people, but unfortunately re-broke it for others.  We're working on a flag that will make this particular aspect of scrolling togglable, since it's obvious that a single version isn't working for all types of hardware.  

@KevinMcCarthy is Edge still crashing after this week's Dev update?  

@Nate Miller the Carbon Black issue should be fixed now; please let me know if it isn't for you.  

@josh_bodner The latest update seems to have reverted to earlier functionality and FIDO2 w/PIN is now working again.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

the sort options in Collections or Collection Items are not remembered. 

I assume you've filed feedback for this?  I'll ask the team if it's a known issue, and if not, we'll use the feedback to create a bug.  

when the "search in page" thingy, (not sure what to call it so attached screenshot), is open, we can't click on any tabs in Vertical tabs sidebar to go to them, doing so will immediately close the vertical tabs.

I can't repro this in the latest Canary, can you?  

Thanks for your reply,

yes it's still happening in version 91.0.828.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I have sent feedbacks, few months ago and another one recently.
i could make a video clip to show
For the collections issue, no need, I just talked to the team, and apparently this is by design. They viewed the sort options for both Collections and the items in them as temporary filters on the views. That was honestly... not the answer I was expecting, but they are closely monitoring feedback about this specifically, so enough feedback about it should get their attention!

For the find on page thing, yes, a video would definitely help.

@josh_bodner 

Sure, attached the video file to this comment.

the way to reproduce this bug is to have a couple of tabs in vertical tabs mode, then pressing Ctrl + F, type something in the search area, and then without clicking anymore on the page, hover over the vertical tabs sidebar and attempt to close one of the tabs.

I hope you'll be able to reproduce it.

Microsoft Edge Version 91.0.830.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX Ooooohhhh, okay I was thinking of basically the exact opposite, I thought tabs were closing when you didn't want them to, not that they weren't when you did! I don't use my vertical tabs pane collapsed is why I couldn't repro myself, but as soon as I collapsed it I could, so I'll make sure the team is aware of this bug since it's still happening in current Canaries. 

@josh_bodner 

Yes we all can have different habits, but glad the bug is exposed now :)

thank you, by the way please let them know this also happens on Edge stable 89. in fact, I don't think there has ever been a time where vertical tabs didn't have this bug.