Dev channel update to 90.0.818.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.818.0 to the Dev channel.  This is expected to be the final build for major version 90, so it’s what we’ll be sending to Beta soon, give or take one or two more small updates.  In the community, here’s what going on: 

As for the product, here’s all that’s new: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to sort overall Collections. 
  • Added the ability to drag and drop downloaded files from the list in the Downloads popup into webpages or folders.
  • Added the ability for users to manually search through their autofill data by pressing the / key. 
  • Added an option to the Disable Developer Mode Extensions popup to stop showing it.  Note that this popup only appears in Beta and Stable. 
  • Finished rolling out the new Downloads popup menu. 
  • Finished rolling out Startup Boost. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge may be unusable the first time it is opened after an update, but closing and re-opening it fixes it. 
  • Fixed an issue where using an extension that has a popup menu in a PWA or website installed as an app causes the browser to crash. 
  • Fixed a hang when uninstalling a PWA or website installed as an app. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening the Web Widget. 
  • Fixed an issue where interacting with the Web Widget when the browser is using a Guest session sometimes leads to a crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages crash upon loading. 
  • Fixed an issue where some videos appear black but audio plays fine. 
  • Fixed an issue where images don’t display properly on certain websites. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved the Site Information popup.
  • Fixed an issue where the Profiles Settings page sometimes shows a broken image with the message “HIDE_HEADER”. 
  • Fixed an issue where focus automatically moves into the Downloads menu when it appears to ask users what to do with a pending download. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding notes to a Web Capture causes the captured image to go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Tab menu has a duplicate option to Select Next Tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs forget they’re supposed to be horizontal after exiting fullscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages appear too wide and can’t be scrolled to see all their content. 
  • Fixed an issue on Linux where scrolling the vertical tabs pane switches the active tab instead of scrolling the pane. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “See more in sidebar” link in dictionary definitions in PDFs doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing the browser’s zoom settings also incorrectly affects the Web Widget.    
  • Fixed an issue where installing a PWA or website as an app sometimes results in the app having no favicon even though the website did before it was installed. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to control the SSL Version Min. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain VMWare software may run into an issue where Edge will no longer open.  For more information, see their help article here:  https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Carbon-Black-Cloud-MS-Edge-Failure-to-launch-aft....  
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks to everybody who’s being on this journey with us, we couldn’t do it without you! 

54 Replies

Hi,
thanks for the update,
the sort options in Collections or Collection Items are not remembered. so when I sort my Collections or items in a Collection and close and then reopen the flyout, everything is back to where they were before.
it's been like this ever since the feature came to Canary, and still the same on Version 91.0.822.0

another problem that's actually really old, despite sending multiple feedbacks, not resolved yet.

when the "search in page" thingy, (not sure what to call it so attached screenshot), is open, we can't click on any tabs in Vertical tabs sidebar to go to them, doing so will immediately close the vertical tabs.

@josh_bodner 

Last week you got my immediate reaction to the loss of the toolbar area at the top of the More menu and the new Extensions button. Now my more considered opinion, after a week pf thought, which still includes the fact that your changes as are have made Edge unusable for me. This time a worked example with illustration.

I have currently 32 extensions installed, five currently disabled, leaving 27. I can fit a maximum of 10 on the toolbar while still leaving the minimum (to me) usable omnibox/address bar length, which leaves 17 extensions whose buttons I cannot fit on the toolbar, some of which I never need the buttons for (because the extension is just active when enabled) but a bunch where I need the toolbar buttons, whether to trigger the main action, or to trigger other actions in the button's context menu etc.

Now consider the two views of the top right of my Edge window, as was with extra extension area in the More menu  on the left, and as is now with the new extensions button:

OverflowVsManager.jpg

So, suppose I am wanting to use, not manage, some extensions. Suppose I want to click on, say, Tab Session Manager. As was, left part of the picture, I click on the More button, and at the top is, essentially, a slide out expansion (I'd call it extension, but that would get confusing) of the toolbar - strips of 'more toolbar', 6 buttons long, so 3 strips includes all my 17 extensions that there isn't room for in the main toolbar. Each strip is the height of the toolbar, the buttons are the same icons, the same size as they would be on the toolbar, and they react - to mouseover, left click, right click - exactly the same as on the toolbar. And I can re-order them, just like on the main toolbar, so e.g. the ones I need to right or left click on often are at the top, the ones never clicked on at the bottom, and I can re-order them, like in the toolbar, into meaningful (to me) groups. Basically the top area of the more menu creates, in effect, a telescopic toolbar. And when I need to click on e.g. Tab Session Manager, I click on the More button and there are all 17 'hidden' extensions' buttons, right by the pointer, all visible, and its not made harder to find the right one by having the 10 buttons already on the toolbar repeated in the toolbar expansion section making it harder to find the one amongst 17 rather than 27.

This is good for using extensions, rather than managing them. It's s telescoping toolbar for people who use many extensions.

But now consider the right part of the picture and how things are now. I click on the new extensions button and I get - not more toolbar telescoping out, but an extensions manager. Something completely different that's fine for managing extensions, but not using them. I click, the dropdown opens and, I can't even see half of my extensions, including the one I want. I have to go and scroll, and I can't re-order my extensions, to put the ones that are not on the main toolbar but I often need to pick near the top. It's one extension button per line, not 6 so I have to move the pointer much further to get to any of them - plus scrolling for many, with the fact that the 10 buttons that are ALREADY on the toolbar are there too, making the searching and scrolling for the one I want even worse. And this is different to the toolbar - the on mouseover name display is now printed taking up room permanently, and the right-click context menu is replaced by three dot more menus. It is far, far more user unfriendly than how things were in the left view in the picture for using, rather than managing, extensions.

And for me completely unacceptable for use, and if this is how things are going forwards, I will neither use nor recommend Edge.

Last week I suggested some changes to the new extensions button allowing options to customise it to be more of a toolbar extension might be OK. Having thought about it since, I no longer believe that is a viable way forward. Making it able to be a more usable toolbar extension would actually make it worse as a toolbar manager, but it would never be as good a toolbar extension.

My suggestion, and frankly the only way I can see this being acceptable, is if you leave your new extensions manager button (as you say many people want such an extension manager - I don't, but I'm fine with it being there if I can turn it off in Appearance), but STOP turning it off making extension buttons on the toolbar invisible (in the same way that turning off the Favourites button doesn't make all the favourites disappear off the favourites bar), and ADD BACK the toolbar extension area AS WELL. These are two conceptually different tools, and you should have BOTH. Extensions button as now, but able to be turned off WITHOUT that making any extension buttons on the toolbar invisible, for managing extensions; and toolbar extensions area like the old one at the top of the More menu as a telescoping toolbar for those needing to use more than 10 or so extensions buttons. You COULD (for me, don't know about others) put the toolbar extension area back separate from the More menu: a separate button on the end of the extension buttons toolbar that just opens the dropdown of just the buttons not visible on the toolbar - which, after all, is what huge numbers of programs, including many Microsoft programs, do when there are too many buttons to display for the length of toolbar - that button opens  a menu of the buttons not displayed, NOT the customise toolbar dialogue, which is a separate thing. In fact I'd like that. But that or put it back at the top of the more menu, until/unless you do one or the other, that's it for me with Edge, using or recommending. Which would be a shame, as for that brief period between the new downloads and this change, Edge had actually become a usable browser for me.

PLEASE think this through, see that people with a lot of extensions that need a toolbar button to left and right click need a proper 'expand the toolbar to see the ones there aren't room for' option, and realise that this extension manager isn't it. It's not one tool or the other - you can have and need both.

Please, guys, don't sleep on the criticism the extensions manager got. I hate this **bleep** button on the toolbar.
I realize some are critical of the new extension manager, but I would really, really like to see it implemented. I dislike having a huge list of extensions at the top of the menu when I click the three dots. I would much rather have the extensions listed under a button like the favorites or history menu. Chrome currently has this feature and I'm very envious.

@dblagent007 

@dblagent007 wrote:
I realize some are critical of the new extension manager, but I would really, really like to see it implemented. I dislike having a huge list of extensions at the top of the menu when I click the three dots. I would much rather have the extensions listed under a button like the favorites or history menu. Chrome currently has this feature and I'm very envious.

I'm with you on that. i like the new extension menu.

this new extension menu helped me a lot in keeping things organized there.

it doesn't matter if an icon is up there, how else am i supposed to see my extensions without an icon.

chrome had this for a while and i really wanted it on Edge too, lots of careful thoughts and engineering was put on this and they came up with this idea, it's not a careless implementation. literally 2 big companies implemented it.

the (...) menu was not the place for extension icons, didn't make any sense, it's the menu for regular options.

extension icons would all appear there very badly and you couldn't tell which is which because their names wasn't displayed.

now, with this new extension flyout, you can have virtually unlimited extensions installed, all of their names displayed next to their icons for easy usage, and scrolling feature for easy access.

another bad thing about previous implementation was that dragging the edge of address bar (omnibox) would distort and dislocate all extension icons.

every time i resized Edge window, i had to resize Edge address bar too, either to see the URL clearly or to show my extensions on the toolbar. and that would lead to a mess.

in the previous implementation, right-clicking on an extension and setting it to hide or show made no sense, it was useless, because it was depended on the screen size and how Edge window is.

moving the address bar would ruin all the careful sorting of extension icons that users did.

Fantastic, the video playback memory leak on my M1 Mac seems to have been fixed
Fixing the touchpad/touchscreen/mouse wheel scrolling really needs to be prioritized. If this issue only happens with the dev and canary builds, it's sort of understandable - but it's a problem also with the stable build.

As for the extension button -- it's one of the worst implementations/ideas you guys have ever thought of. You don't need to copy everything Google does...if you want a better implementation of this idea/feature - why not look over how Mozilla does it?

@DavidGB I can do you one better. I have around 50 extensions installed. After a week of attempting to live without cluttering my toolbar and living with it by attempting to scroll through the list to try to find an extension that's in an essentially random order (I don't remember the names of my extensions so it's random to me) I gave up.

I now have pinned to my toolbar all the extensions I use on a regular basis.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 224139.png

This is my life now. 

If Microsoft/Google insists on this paradigm I'm considering switching to Firefox since their extension list supports allowing you to, at the very least, reorder your overflow list. 

If I may make a productive suggestion to the Edge team, having a "pinned" overflow area at the top of the widget list that acts the same as the old one may help. Or just add the old one back and allow users to hide away useless icons while still keeping the easy access overflow area.

I have two systems in which I've updated Edge Dev to this new release. On one system, tab preview is on & working, but on the other it is off. On both systems, the #tab-hover-cards flag is set to Default, so it appears the meaning of 'default' is different between the two systems. Why is this?

@boblinthewild 

@boblinthewild wrote:
I have two systems in which I've updated Edge Dev to this new release. On one system, tab preview is on & working, but on the other it is off. On both systems, the #tab-hover-cards flag is set to Default, so it appears the meaning of 'default' is different between the two systems. Why is this?

it's because of CFR

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/controlled-feature-roll-outs-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/7...

@josh_bodner 

I sent feedback about a problem when working a stacked dual-monitor setup, but I didn't receive or read any confirmation of this being a problem. I sent this last week as a reply as well, but still didn't hear or read anything about it.

Basically when you run a stacked dual-monitor setup, any new Edge window that is selected will expand in size at the top. For the top-monitor this is not a problem, because it is at the top. For the bottom-monitor, it is quite annoying and I believe should not be the default behaviour.

See how in Word windows, the black bar does not appear when the Window is either selected or unselected. For Edge windows, it should be clearly visible that when an Edge window on the bottom monitor is selected, a black bar appears at the top of the window.

OK, so, when hovering over my vertical tabs, a small thumbnail starts floating showing the webpage. No like. Way too distracting to find the tab I want to click on. Please reconsider. :)
Agreed! I also pops up and stays over full screen videos (e.g. YouTube)

@NJ-Joey Yes. the pop-up tab preview is also pop up out of the Edge non-focusing window bandicam 2021-03-11 00-55-03-869.jpg

Extension button should also support searching, reordering & pinning just like other History, Favourites, downloads buttons on the toolbar.
I hadn't seen anything posted about this feature, so I didn't think it was CFR, but that makes sense. Thanks.
I was surprised with this, too. You can turn it off: edge://flags/#tab-hover-cards
MS Edge Dev is updated to 90.0.818.0, and I'm seeing it just spinning up additional processes, and never starting up.

Seems broken.

@boblinthewild 

@boblinthewild wrote:
I hadn't seen anything posted about this feature, so I didn't think it was CFR, but that makes sense. Thanks.

you're welcome,

I saw those experiments myself but usually the pattern is, if two identical Edge installations have different sets of features, it's most likely CFR.