Dev channel update to 90.0.810.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.810.1 to the Dev channel.  Before we get into all the specifics, we’ve got a few exciting things to talk about:  

And now, for everything else: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to drag and drop links onto the vertical tabs pane to open them in a new tab. 
  • Added the ability to resize the vertical tabs pane. 
  • Added support for more in-page translation languages. 
  • Finished rolling out the new mini context menus in PDFs. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when adding a browser profile. 
  • Fixed a crash when right-clicking. 
  • Fixed a crash when dragging something into the vertical tabs pane. 
  • Fixed a crash on Mac when manually checking for Edge updates. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing multiple pages per sheet. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing audio. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch for work or school users with multiple browser profiles. 
  • Fixed a hang when closing Edge. 
  • Fixed a hang when opening Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where website navigations sometimes fail when using a proxy. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching in the sidebar fails if too much text is selected as the search term. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge stops getting updates when running on certain devices. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where a profile error with the text “Some features not available. Something went wrong.” appears when opening Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening subsequent favorites in a new tab from a folder dropdown on the favorites bar fails.
  • Improved performance when searching for favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where the active tab’s text appears grayed out, as if it weren’t active. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads popup icon doesn’t appear on the toolbar while downloading a file of indeterminate size. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing only certain pages sometimes results in all pages getting printed. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge shows an “unsupported hardware” message on certain devices. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Shopping icon appears on websites it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Syllables toggle in Grammar Tools isn’t working. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting text in a PDF and then scrolling with a touchscreen or pen gesture causes the text to de-select. 
  • Fixed an issue where the vertical tabs pane scrolls unexpectedly for pinned tabs users. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget sometimes gets its own Taskbar icon when it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PWA or website installed as an app from a shortcut sometimes results in the site being opened in a regular browser tab instead of in its own window. 
  • Fixed an issue where resetting a PWA or website installed as an app from Windows Settings leaves the app in a buggy state where Windows shortcut don’t properly launch it anymore. 
  • Fixed an issue where an incorrect message about finding harmful software on your computer is sometimes displayed when signing out of Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where the upcoming Extensions menu appears on PWAs and websites installed as apps when it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain address bar icons stay in the address bar even for websites they don’t apply to when navigating an IE mode tab. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

For Stable users, look for version 89 to be heading your way shortly! 

26 Replies
Still no option to refresh all open tabs?
When using vertical tabs in a fullscreen mode (f11) tabs become horizontal again.

@Fabio_Rosolen 

@Fabio_Rosolen wrote:
Still no option to refresh all open tabs?

There is.

say you want to refresh 5 tabs at the same time, select the 1st tab, then hold  Shift and click on the 5th tab, that highlights them all, now press refresh or F5 on keyboard.

i personally don't need yet another right-click menu, i think there are already too many without an option to remove them.

but if you do, there are extensions to use.

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/search/refresh

@_forik 

@_forik wrote:
When using vertical tabs in a fullscreen mode (f11) tabs become horizontal again.

The same developer mentioned in one of the previous posts that they are still working to come up with a design that makes the most sense.

Go to the first tab, click on the last one while holding shift. Then just press F5.
I can't hide extensions from toolbar anymore? Hopefully this is bug. I don't like that extensions (puzzle piece) button up there either. And it seems that I have to choose. I can't drag the address bar to hide.

Also, why is this extensions menu so different from the favorites/history/collections? These three are slow and feel like they don't belong. This extensions one is just like the old favorites menu, which is great. RIP old favorites menu.
Dragging the address bar doesn't work because it doesn't do anything with the new extension menu.
extensions no longer go under (...) button, instead they have a unified place now.
so no matter what is the size of Edge window or the width of address bar, they still consistent.

@josh_bodner 

I've written at some length in my own thread and on your thread about the new extensions manager dropdown menu, so here I'll just re-emphasise that an extension manager is not the same thing as a toolbar overflow menu for toolbar buttons, and while I don't honestly care about you adding the extensions manager dropdown, I DO really REALLY care about you having removed the toolbar button overflow. The new extensions manager dropdown does NOT make up for the loss of the toolbar button overflow menu for me. The old overflow at the top of the More menu was just the 18 buttons  not on the toolbar, just to press them not manage, out of the way but quick to reach, all in a small area visible at once for pressing, and I could re-order them like the buttons in the toolbar, in my case to ones I used at the top, the ones that don't do anything (as the extension is always running) at he bottom. The extensions manager is a long scrolling list, one per line, in alphabetical order, of all 27 buttons INCLUDING the ones already on the toolbar, with room for symbols and menu openers for all the management tools for each. As a lightweight extensions manager dropdown it's fine. As a toolbar button overflow it is appalling.

It's incredible. Every time you get edge to a point where I think 'It's now useable for general browsing', the very next update you add or remove something that wrecks it for me. I need a toolbar button overflow with the functionality it had before. With your extensions manager dropdown is fine. But the loss of a useable (to me, with the extensions I use and the browsing I do) toolbar button overflow means Canary and Dev are now unusable for me (Stable and Beta are still unusable for reasons only recently fixed in Dev and Canary), and the short period in which I've been trying out Edge as my general browser has come to a screeching halt. I will now just be installing each Canary and Dev update just to run once only to look for the return of a useable toolbar button overflow..

For me this is a sine qua non issue, so I won't be looking at anything else unless and until I know that (unlike in Google Chrome, with this being one reason I'll never consider using that) you are going to address this satisfactorily.

Seriously, could no one in the team see that an extension manager is functionally and fundamentally a different thing to a toolbar button overflow so the former will not be a replacement for the latter, just something different? 

That would be true if I had chosen to show the button. I can’t hide the extension icon. It’s either the extensions or the extension menu. I want none.

@eduardobragaxz 

@eduardobragaxz wrote:
That would be true if I had chosen to show the button. I can’t hide the extension icon. It’s either the extensions or the extension menu. I want none.

what do you mean you want none.

I don’t want to see the puzzle button nor my extensions.
Well, this is the new thing now, has some pros over the previous design but unfortunately can't do that, the main menu no longer accepts extension icons.

I no longer seem to be able to swipe left or right with two fingers on the trackpad to go back/forwards a page. I have reported this using the Send Feedback option :) (edit: seems to be working sporadically)

I agree that I do miss the option to have extensions in the overflow area of the (...) menu - I don't like having my extensions on the menu bar, but also would prefer to hide the new extensions button in its current state as I don't need it regularly in my workflow.

One feature I would love to see in the new extensions menu would be the on/off toggle for individual extensions - this feature alone would make the new button worth keeping in the menu bar! I have a couple of Netflix extensions which don't work at the same time, so I frequently turn one on and the other off.

Also, I like how responsive the new extensions menu is! It seems a lot smoother and faster to render than the Collections, History, and Downloads menus which still have a noticeable delay when clicked.

Having a separator for the new extension button and not being able to hide it without having the ability to now hide your extensions to the context menu is terrible.  

@josh_bodner 

I sent feedback about a problem when working a stacked dual-monitor setup, but I didn't receive or read any confirmation of this being a problem.

Basically when you run a stacked dual-monitor setup, any new Edge window that is selected will expand in size at the top. For the top-monitor this is not a problem, because it is at the top. For the bottom-monitor, it is quite annoying and I believe should not be the default behaviour.

See how in Word windows, the black bar does not appear when the Window is either selected or unselected. For Edge windows, it should be clearly visible that when an Edge window on the bottom monitor is selected, a black bar appears at the top of the window.

@josh_bodner I would like to believe the team is already aware of this extra-long separator between the extensions menu button and the Collections button as it is easily noticeable which is why I didn't send a feedback. Compare its size with that of the separator before "Other favourites" folder on the favourites bar.

sep.png

@josh_bodner thanks for fixing the hang on startup (may have been related to the multiple sign in crash bug)? In any case that 5 minute browser startup was... pretty hairy there for a while :)   Still wish you'd reconsider the new download location. I still vastly prefer the bar at the bottom, and wish that was retained at least as an alternative, or additional feature we can turn on and off with settings.

@josh_bodner on my M1 MacBook Air, starting with this version, there appears to be a major memory leak in the decoder process when playing back videos on youtube

The separator must be intentional, been there for few weeks, if not since the beginning. i think the idea behind it is to separate where the extension icons can appear and where the native Edge toolbar items can appear.