Dev channel update to 90.0.796.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.796.0 to the Dev channel.  No matter who you are, we’ve got lots of exciting content today: 

As for all the new features in the browser this week: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to start typing to search as soon as the favorites and history menus are open and loaded. 
  • Added suggestions from local browsing history when clicking on the empty address bar on the new tab page. 
  • Added support for Friendly Names for certificates in the certificate picker. 
  • Enabled Single Sign-On for Mac, fixing an issue where certain websites can’t login.
  • Improved messaging when certain permissions are restricted when viewing a protected PDF. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to Enable Native Window Occlusion in favor of the newly-added policy to Enable Window Occlusion.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not have occurred yet. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy to control SSL Error Override Allowed For Origins from upstream Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when showing the autofill suggestion popup. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Guided Switch. 
  • Fixed a crash for Family Safety users. 
  • Fixed a crash when using speech recognition. 
  • Fixed a crash when copying something when Data Loss Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser uses lots of CPU doing nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where Smart Copy doesn’t work one websites like OneNote. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where deleted passwords are sometimes restored unexpectedly via sync. 
  • Fixed an issue where graphics in certain websites like Excel get corrupted over time. 
  • Fixed an issue where print preview sometimes shows the incorrect number of sheets of paper. 
  • Fixed an issue with printing multiple sheets per page. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs created by printing a page using Print To PDF don’t appear in the Downloads list. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Sign In To Sync button in Settings isn’t disabled when sign in or sync are turned off via management policy. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdown lists on webpages sometimes are missing options or data. 
  • Fixed an issue when dragging a URL from the address bar into a Collection. 
  • Fixed an issue with syncing Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning a PWA or website installed as an app to the Taskbar also unexpectedly prompts to pin it to the Start Menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a link that’s expected to open in a PWA or website installed as an app doesn’t open the exact link but instead just navigates to the website’s homepage. 
  • Fixed an issue where removing a PWA or website installed as an app doesn’t remove its entry from the Start Menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps that open child windows don’t get those child windows associated with the main app window, but instead as generic Edge windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where price comparison in the Shopping popup isn’t appearing when it should.   
  • Removed autofill capabilities from Application Guard windows.   

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without you! 

87 Replies

Again, you haven't even acknowledged numerous touch input issues. This is the only thing you are consistent on. Certainly not touch text selection UI/UX vs OS's.

@josh_bodner 

I do not think that changing all of 'Manage Favourites', 'Manage history' and 'Manage Downloads' to 'Open in new tab' is at all right. When, in Canary and not having noticed there'd been a change, I actually went to open the Favourites page to do some re-organising after importing some new favourites, opened the more... menu in the favourites dropdown and found 'Open in new tab' but no 'Manage Favourites' I actually thought you'd added some switch as to whether clicking on a favourite opened it in the same or a new tab but had had broken and lost the Manage Favourites to open edge://favorites/ and ended up getting to edge://favorites/ indirectly via edge-urls. And then I submitted it as a bug report via Send Feedback (followed awhile later by a corrected report when I finally realised those 'Open in new tabs' were the 'Manage' links re-titled). It's just not obvious that 'Open in new tab' in those dropdown menus open the full favourite, history and download pages,

Please change the name of those actions back. Or change them to 'Show all favourites/history/downloads' or something like that. It's just wrong and confusing, what you've changed it to.

Today's Canary is still showing the 'Profile Error' message on every start (though then apparently working OK) that started over a week ago.

@josh_bodner 

Thank you for the update, very good stuff,

btw, I had the opportunity to try out the new Kids mode in Edge,

very nice feature that is free, doesn't need too much technical background like group policy etc.

just one question, is it supposed to let kids tab out or press Window button to use a different browser?

currently the Windows Pin requirement is only for when trying to close the Kids mode, but the person can just press Window button on keyboard or Alt + Tab to switch to another app/browser.

would it be possible to completely lock down the PC and restrict the Kids window so the user won't be able to switch/open other apps? (without group policy and only Kids mode/family safety)

@josh_bodner This may be a !WOMM, but with this latest Edge update in combination with this latest Win 10 (insider build 21313), ALT + TAB functionality no longer includes individual Edge tabs, like I was so getting used to.

@josh_bodner 

This version removed all my search engines except Bing. 

Opening of the collections should be faster. The delay when opening is very annoying.

Alt-Tab is broken for me too.

@Scott Wade @mkoninin 

@Scott Wade wrote:

@josh_bodner This may be a !WOMM, but with this latest Edge update in combination with this latest Win 10 (insider build 21313), ALT + TAB functionality no longer includes individual Edge tabs, like I was so getting used to.

Your problem could be stemming from Windows Insider build.

I'm on latest Edge canary on Windows 10 20H2 and I can use Alt + Tabs normally.

Version 90.0.800.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

however, on my other machine that had insider dev build 21313, I couldn't use Alt + Tab previously. (haven't checked again)

so, it could be an Edge problem which is fixed now in higher channel, Canary, and all you gotta do is to wait till you receive the fix in Dev channel,

Or it's stemming from Windows insider build in which case you gotta file a feedback for it in feedback hub.

@josh_bodner 

This version is completely broken.

When starting EDGE, it takes 5-6 sec and the windows stays all white (no title bar, just a white rectangle)

this is 30 times slower than previous version - and very annoying - nearly unusable

@josh_bodnerThis version immediately crashes on my Mac (MacBook Pro 2018, macOS 11.2.1) as soon as I open a new tab and start typing in the address bar.

@Yoneff I am experiencing the same issue when Edge opens.  All white screen for several seconds.

@josh_bodner Hello,

I'm using Edge Dev (Version 90.0.796.0) and still don't have password monitor & flyout menus for collections & downloads.

It is because this features rolled out step by step and I'm just unlucky and don't included in first waves?

Can anyone confirm this? I can't search for cookies, nothing happens.

eddiezato_0-1613561399800.png

@eddiezato 

Yes, no cookie search in either Dev or Canary.

@DaleMsgt 

I get the white screen for a bit less than a second in both Dev and Canary, exactly the same as in the Stable release. I do not have Start-up boost turned on, if that's relevant.

After applying this update, Edge no longer would open for me instantly.  A blank window opened and after a while the top bar with minimize, close buttons appears .. but title bar just says "unresponsive".  I kept closing and reopening with no luck.

Finally I just left it open and about 5 minutes and the "you've been upgraded" page did finally appear... and the browser worked as expected.

But when I close it and open it again, the same thing happens every time.  Big white blank screen for about 5 min, then finally opens.

Thanks,

Terry

The same is happening to me, but the delay is maybe 15-20 seconds. In-private window opens up instantly. Also, each time I close and re-open the browser, my account goes back to "setting up sync".

@manania just watched and it takes about 1.5 minutes every time I launch Edge from Launch to actually getting a web page rendered.

Terry

PS - incognito does launch instantly though.

@Mattw112 

please try clearing your browser data (set time range to all time)

edge://settings/clearBrowserData