Dev channel update to 90.0.782.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.782.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first build of major version 90 to land in Dev, and with it comes some exciting new features. 

As for everything else: 

Added features: 

• Improved on smoothness and latency when inking PDFs.  For more details, click here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/inking-experience-improvements-in-edge/m-p/2098598
  • Added the Collections item to the … menu in InPrivate windows since Collections are now supported in InPrivate. 
  • Improved the Cookies In Use dialog to show more information about a given cookie. 
  • Added a management policy to manage the Smart Actions Block List, which prevents certain context menu actions from being available, and for Windows Hello For HTTP Auth Enabled to control whether or not the basic credential prompt appears for NTLM or Negotiate.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy from Chromium to configure the Managed Configuration Per Origin for websites installed as apps. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where multiple EdgeUpdate processes may be seen running at the same time in Windows Task Manager. 
  • Fixed a crash when copying a URL from the address bar. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening a new tab. 
  • Fixed a crash when using the new Favorites or History popup. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Find On Page. 
  • Fixed a crash when using speech recognition. 
  • Fixed a crash when sharing a Collection. 
  • Fixed a crash when using search engine shortcuts to search for something from the address bar. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain popups from IE mode tabs can become hidden, blocking all interaction with the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Edge via certain shortcuts causes manual updates to fail. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where setting Autoplay settings to Block causes Read Aloud online voices to fail. 
  • Fixed an issue where newly-opened tabs are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain trackpads cause scrolling to happen too fast. 
  • Disabled ShyUI in PWAs and websites installed as apps. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PWA or website installed as an app sometimes results in two windows being opened:  the regular app window but with no content, and a generic browser popup window with the content. 
  • Fixed an issue where switching profiles in a PWA sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Favorites or History menus sometimes appear in the wrong place on screen. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching for a Setting sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where there are sometimes duplicate Edge shortcuts on the Taskbar.   
  • Fixed an issue where Immersive Reader shows up as eligible on certain websites it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites installed as apps have too big of an icon when their tile is pinned to the Start menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps are missing the … icon on their … menu button. 
  • Fixed an issue where the save button when editing a Collection item is invisible. 
  • Obsoleted the management policy for Stricter Mixed Content Treatment Enabled.  Note that this policy hasn’t been functional since version 85. 

Known issues:  

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

In addition to Dev, we’re also releasing version 89 to Beta this week, so be on the lookout for that if you’re also a Beta user! 

51 Replies

@josh_bodner 
Hi, this has been happening for a while now, every time I get an update Edge opens the "We've updated you to the latest build." page but when I check to see the new features I can't find them.
for example, I still don't have the Smart copy feature, the new downloads menu, or the Web widget which came with the latest update.

@josh_bodner Google meet will no longer detect a camera mic or speakers. I know Meet doesn't officially support edge, so I don't know where the problem lies. Google Meet does work fine when using a different browser, with no changes to hardware configuration or settings. 

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX from a logical standpoint, the cookie allow list is a global allow list.  Like, you're allowing these cookies, period.  The idea that changing another setting would change the context of that allow list to all of a sudden not be global is something that honestly had never occurred to me since there's no indication that such a thing would happen (since of course it doesn't).  I'm definitely curious how many people would expect the third party cookie blocking setting to have exceptions since we're not trying to make it seem like it does, but I suspect not many since you have to have a lot of mental context to even know what is or isn't a third party cookie at any given time.  Like, how would you know where the cookies in that list won't be allowed?  I mean yes, they won't be allowed anywhere except when you're actually on those sites, but you also don't know what other sites do or don't try to use them as third party cookies, so it's impossible to list everywhere they won't be allowed (in other words, all the exceptions to that list).  

Hi,

the reason I use Allow list is to specify a list of websites whose cookies I want to be kept in the browser, and then I add these 2 items to the "clear on exit" list

image.png

so with this setup, I clear all cookies that belong to websites I don't care about, every time browser closes.

I think we can all agree that this is a good security practice. I really only interact with ~30 websites regularly, so I don't need to have cookies of 1000 domains in my browser, tracking my every move on the Internet.

in fact, I wish Edge would do this automatically for everyone. like, let user use the browser for at least a week, detect the most visited websites and add them to the allow list, then clear all other cookies after browser closes.

of course this won't be a default behavior, but one that privacy-aware people would want to turn on or explore.

okay, so far so good, now about the 3rd party cookie blocking...

so, you have made it clear in the settings, where 3rd party cookie blocking exception is.

ddsds.png

that option exists in Google Chrome too.

when someone sees that checkbox and has 3rd party cookie blocking turned on, they will know that checking that box will create an exception for that specific domain.

But, it's not expected when user adds a domain to the "Allow" list and then 3rd party cookie blocking thinks it's an exception too. it really isn't.

the exception for 3rd party cookie blocking should only be done through that checkbox, where it's explicitly specified.

This is why I'm saying that the "Allow" list shouldn't be confused, by the browser, with an exception list.

to me this all sounds logical to be honest.

I have a question, your last paragraph kinda got me confused. you're saying that it's in fact possible for a website, xyz.com , to use Google.com's cookies, and present them in the form of first party cookies ?

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/hosting/technical-matters/what-are-third-party-cookies/

@Red_namalas 

@Red_namalas wrote:

@josh_bodner Google meet will no longer detect a camera mic or speakers. I know Meet doesn't officially support edge, so I don't know where the problem lies. Google Meet does work fine when using a different browser, with no changes to hardware configuration or settings. 

Google meet does officially support Edge

https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7317473?hl=en#zippy=%2Cuse-a-supported-web-browser

image.png

@HotCakeX there is an option for clear all cookies with exceptions:

Untitled.png

Personally I block all third-party cookies. But with 'allow list' I can bypass global blocking and allow these cookies for specific domains. 'Allow list' has worked this way in Chromium for many years.

@eddiezato 

@eddiezato wrote:

@HotCakeX there is an option for clear all cookies with exceptions:

Untitled.png

Personally I block all third-party cookies. But with 'allow list' I can bypass global blocking and allow these cookies for specific domains. 'Allow list' has worked this way in Chromium for many years.

there are 2 things to note here,

Edge and Chrome already have an "Allow list" or "exception list" for 3rd party cookie blocking.

it happens when you check this box:

ddsds.png

if you Don't check that box, it shouldn't happen. they are clearly mentioning that to the user, if you check the box, third-party cookies on this site will be allowed.

there is no need to apply it to the whole "Allow" list.

also, there is an option to clear cookies on exist with exception, in here

edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose

but it doesn't sync the websites we add.

so based on what I explained in my previous comment, it's impossible to have that kind of security in Edge.

there is literally no way, if there is then please tell me how to:

1. limit Google.com's cookies only to Google.com
  2. have a list of frequently visited sites (which also includes Google.com) and let them save their cookies on Edge.
  3. delete all cookies that don't belong to the frequently visited sites list (aka allow list) in here:
    edge://settings/content/cookies
    whenever the browser is closed.

I'm open to all suggestions and I hope I'm wrong

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

if you check the box, third-party cookies on this site will be allowed.

No. If you check this box, you will allow all third-party cookies from the entered URL, not just cookies for the domain itself.

@HotCakeX wrote:

there is literally no way, if there is then please tell me how to:

1. limit Google.com's cookies only to Google.com
  2. have a list of frequently visited sites (which also includes Google.com) and let them save their cookies on Edge.
  3. delete all cookies that don't belong to the frequently visited sites list (aka allow list) in here:
    edge://settings/content/cookies
    whenever the browser is closed.

Just block third-party cookies and don't allow any specific. Then enable 'clear cookies' here edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose with exception for 'google.com' and another domains you want. Can't say anything about syncing this option because I don't use sync.

I think the idea of sending your personal data to some company to sync already violates privacy.

@eddiezato 

"No. If you check this box, you will allow all third-party cookies from the entered URL, not just cookies for the domain itself."

I meant and said the same thing, lol. I've seen how it works and I understand it

"Just block third-party cookies and don't allow any specific. Then enable 'clear cookies' here edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose with exception for 'google.com' and another domains you want."

I've already tried that, there is a problem with this method.

the checkbox for allowing 3rd party cookies in edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose

does not work the same way as the checkbox in edge://settings/content/cookies

the former allows 3rd party cookies of that domain to be saved in the browser and accessed. the latter only lets the 3rd party cookies of that domain to be saved/kept, not accessed.

hope it's clearer now to understand the problem.

"I think the idea of sending your personal data to some company to sync already violates privacy."

if you really believe in that then you shouldn't be using Internet at all. the moment you are connected, some company has your data and knows what you are doing, starting with your ISP.

if not ISP, then the secure DNS server you might be using. if not, then the VPN server provider that you might be using. there is no escape.

Sync is very harmless in comparison, and the advantages it provides outweigh any possible disadvantages.

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

I meant and said the same thing, lol. I've seen how it works and I understand it

Ok. You have example.com

This website contains cookies from the domain itself and bunch of third-party such as google analytics, etc. If you allow example.com cookies without a checkbox, you only allow cookies from that domain, even if they are presented as third-party. But these will only be the example.com cookies. If you check this box, you allow domain cookies and all these trackers located on example.com with different domains.

This is how I understand this checkbox.

Let's look at a different angle.
There is an option to enable all cookies and an option to block third-party.

If you don't allow the use of cookies, you can use the “allow list” to allow certain cookies.

If you allow all cookies and don't block third-party, then "allow list" doesn't make any sense, you already allow everything.

If you allow all cookies and block third-party, then "allow list" may give you the ability to allow certain third-party cookies, since you only block third-party cookies.

About "clear cookies". In the first place you can clear a few but save many, in the second you can clear all but save a few. I think that's the difference.

Sorry if my English is bad. I tried my best. :smile:

@josh_bodner 

I really dislike the new download manager.

I used to just drag my downloaded files into the application and now I have to open the folder.

For example, working with Photoshop I used to download an image, then from the bottom download bar just drag and drop in photoshop and done.

Now I have to a) open the download folder and look for my file or 
b) use a dialog within Photoshop to open a file explorer to then go to my downloads folder and then look for my file.

I like the aesthetics but if I can't drag and drop the files, it's useless for me.

Can you please bring back the old download bar with a flag or something or at least return the drag and drop functionality to the download panel?

@agcemo 

Enabling drag and drop for the new downloads flyout should be enough.

@eddiezato 

Spoiler

@eddiezato wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

Ok. You have example.com

This website contains cookies from the domain itself and bunch of third-party such as google analytics, etc. If you allow example.com cookies without a checkbox, you only allow cookies from that domain, even if they are presented as third-party. But these will only be the example.com cookies. If you check this box, you allow domain cookies and all these trackers located on example.com with different domains.

This is how I understand this checkbox.

Let's look at a different angle.
There is an option to enable all cookies and an option to block third-party.

If you don't allow the use of cookies, you can use the “allow list” to allow certain cookies.

If you allow all cookies and don't block third-party, then "allow list" doesn't make any sense, you already allow everything.

If you allow all cookies and block third-party, then "allow list" may give you the ability to allow certain third-party cookies, since you only block third-party cookies.

About "clear cookies". In the first place you can clear a few but save many, in the second you can clear all but save a few. I think that's the difference.

Sorry if my English is bad. I tried my best. :smile:

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Your English is fine,

I needed that different angle :)

now I'm doing this

{784450B7-CE76-42E6-A0A9-583407436DF8}.png

and I added sites I frequently visit to the Allow list, with the checkbox to allow 3rd party cookies of certain websites.

everything is working as expected now.

I can log into YouTube, which saves Google cookies on my computer, and then I go to Reddit but the site no longer offers me to create an account with Google, because Reddit no longer reads Google cookies on my browser.

I still didn't get history/open tabs sync. I'm edge dev 90, but can't see my mobile stuff there. On my phone, open tabs and history sync are greyed out so I can't enable. Already submitted feedback on the phone, but nothing still...

@josh_bodner 

I have the latest DEV Channel along with the same old problem; Googles news opens but the news stories are all Blank this is true in all versions of Edge. Also when going to a CNN story and playing a video there is sound but no picture. Has been going on and off for several upgrades. I say that it was a Windows problem except all is good using Chrome?

Bob

@BobnG 

Spoiler

@BobnG wrote:

@josh_bodner 

I have the latest DEV Channel along with the same old problem; Googles news opens but the news stories are all Blank this is true in all versions of Edge. Also when going to a CNN story and playing a video there is sound but no picture. Has been going on and off for several upgrades. I say that it was a Windows problem except all is good using Chrome?

Bob

judging from the screenshot, it looks like you're using an extension that changes the appearance of that page, can you check and disable them all temporarily see it changes anything? edge://extensions/

also are you using any flags?

@HotCakeX 

Thank you, you were exactly right. Annoying part is I tried that once without success but must have added something since? It give me a chance to clean some other items also. I worked with MS agent for over a month without any success.

Thanks you again,

Bob

@BobnG 

@BobnG wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Thank you, you were exactly right. Annoying part is I tried that once without success but must have added something since? It give me a chance to clean some other items also. I worked with MS agent for over a month without any success.

Thanks you again,

Bob

Glad I could help, you're welcome!

@josh_bodner  When I send any link to the Collections from the context menu the browser start crash and shut down automatically

moghaazi_1-1612626598694.png

@moghaazi 

Hi,

what developers said about crashes is that the best way to report them is to go to edge://crashes/

find the related/correct crash item (you can tell it by reading the time when it happened), press submit feedback next to it, in the new window briefly explain what you were doing when that crash happened and what URL you were on, and then end it.

Ok, I'm fine with the new features additions for the history menu and downloads and what have you, but please make it optional.

In my use case when I go to the history tab I am generally doing a deep dive into the things I searched for months in the past, so the pop up adding several extra clicks really is a bummer.

The download widget is also abominable. I use an old laptop as an HTPC. Yeah, interacting with that thing is actually impossible from across the room. I use mouse without borders to interact with it, so sitting at my desk where the only keyboard is and trying to click the infinitely small widget text is a nightmare. Please allow for this to be configured in settings. All I ask.