Dev channel update to 90.0.782.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.782.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first build of major version 90 to land in Dev, and with it comes some exciting new features. 

As for everything else: 

Added features: 

• Improved on smoothness and latency when inking PDFs.  For more details, click here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/inking-experience-improvements-in-edge/m-p/2098598
  • Added the Collections item to the … menu in InPrivate windows since Collections are now supported in InPrivate. 
  • Improved the Cookies In Use dialog to show more information about a given cookie. 
  • Added a management policy to manage the Smart Actions Block List, which prevents certain context menu actions from being available, and for Windows Hello For HTTP Auth Enabled to control whether or not the basic credential prompt appears for NTLM or Negotiate.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy from Chromium to configure the Managed Configuration Per Origin for websites installed as apps. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where multiple EdgeUpdate processes may be seen running at the same time in Windows Task Manager. 
  • Fixed a crash when copying a URL from the address bar. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening a new tab. 
  • Fixed a crash when using the new Favorites or History popup. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Find On Page. 
  • Fixed a crash when using speech recognition. 
  • Fixed a crash when sharing a Collection. 
  • Fixed a crash when using search engine shortcuts to search for something from the address bar. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain popups from IE mode tabs can become hidden, blocking all interaction with the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Edge via certain shortcuts causes manual updates to fail. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where setting Autoplay settings to Block causes Read Aloud online voices to fail. 
  • Fixed an issue where newly-opened tabs are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain trackpads cause scrolling to happen too fast. 
  • Disabled ShyUI in PWAs and websites installed as apps. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PWA or website installed as an app sometimes results in two windows being opened:  the regular app window but with no content, and a generic browser popup window with the content. 
  • Fixed an issue where switching profiles in a PWA sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Favorites or History menus sometimes appear in the wrong place on screen. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching for a Setting sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where there are sometimes duplicate Edge shortcuts on the Taskbar.   
  • Fixed an issue where Immersive Reader shows up as eligible on certain websites it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites installed as apps have too big of an icon when their tile is pinned to the Start menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps are missing the … icon on their … menu button. 
  • Fixed an issue where the save button when editing a Collection item is invisible. 
  • Obsoleted the management policy for Stricter Mixed Content Treatment Enabled.  Note that this policy hasn’t been functional since version 85. 

Known issues:  

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

In addition to Dev, we’re also releasing version 89 to Beta this week, so be on the lookout for that if you’re also a Beta user! 

51 Replies
I like the new What's Next page. From it, it looks like Edge will almost be on par with Firefox by the end of the year. Unfortunately there is that hurdle of touchscreen compatibility, but I don't think anybody expected that to be planned at this point anyway.

@josh_bodner I found a wrong link that someone typed in the release notes on microsoftedgeinsider.com.

When I click what's next here:

Kam_1-1612295931808.png

It shows this:

Kam_0-1612295651824.png

The link is wrong. It should be, "https://microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next".

@josh_bodner 

Hi,

why Adding cookies to the Allow list makes them bypass the 3rd party cookie blocking?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/adding-cookies-to-the-allow-list-makes-them-bypas...

@josh_bodner

Please add more control options for the top sites like (Firefox)  e, g ability to change or add a new the URL, remove unwanted site and not replace it with another site, choosing how many top sites you want, how many columns / rows

moghaazi_0-1612303828539.png

I'm tired I told you 100 times that push notifications not working, especially on YouTube, and you are not doing anything, I'm using Ubuntu 20:04

Version 90.0.782.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Can you change this forum, because it's slow, you can use (discourse) or rebuild this forum with JS framework like Vue or React, to be SPA and run fast
I've an error when I play YT vid on 2x speed, the vid start pause and what run only the sound, and I've to press back or forward arrow to fix this issue

@moghaazi 

@moghaazi wrote:
Can you change this forum, because it's slow, you can use (discourse) or rebuild this forum with JS framework like Vue or React, to be SPA and run fast

Tech Community website related discussions belong to the Lounge

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/community-discussion/bd-p/CommunityQuestions

@moghaazi 

Spoiler

@moghaazi wrote:

I'm tired I told you 100 times that push notifications not working, especially on YouTube, and you are not doing anything, I'm using Ubuntu 20:04

Version 90.0.782.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Have you tried turning on this flag?

edge://flags/#enable-native-notifications

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:

@josh_bodner I found a wrong link that someone typed in the release notes on microsoftedgeinsider.com.

When I click what's next here:

Kam_1-1612295931808.png

It shows this:

Kam_0-1612295651824.png

The link is wrong. It should be, "https://microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next".

Just checked and it's fixed now.

@HotCakeX 

Spoiler

Have you tried turning on this flag?

edge://flags/#enable-native-notifications

Yup I already enabled it 2 weeks ago

moghaazi_0-1612309124558.png

@josh_bodner Can we please have a clear communication on when Linux will get sign-in support? Chrome always had sync support for Linux, so I have zero idea what's preventing you from enabling this (even maybe in a limited for at the start) on Linux. I would appreciate a reply because this is honestly getting ridiculous.

I've an error when I play YT vid on 2x speed, the vid start pause and what run only the sound, and I've to press back or forward arrow to fix this issue

@moghaazi I suspect this isn't an issue with the fast playback specifically.  I've also been running into an issue where Youtube videos sometimes just don't load the video part (in my case, they show all black) but keep playing the audio just fine.  I'm currently helping the video team debug it, although it's possible that it's related to a flag you have enabled since I didn't start seeing it until I enabled the edge://flags/#edge-mf-clear-playback-win10 flag.  

push notifications not working, especially on YouTube

@moghaazi just to be clear, were they ever working at any point and then stopped?  Our work to enable the browser to send notifications even when it's closed is still very much ongoing (which is why that feature is still behind a flag).  It's also possible that another setting is affecting this, so have you recently changed any Edge System settings like to allow Edge to run in the background or to enable Startup Boost?  

@HotCakeX from a logical standpoint, the cookie allow list is a global allow list.  Like, you're allowing these cookies, period.  The idea that changing another setting would change the context of that allow list to all of a sudden not be global is something that honestly had never occurred to me since there's no indication that such a thing would happen (since of course it doesn't).  I'm definitely curious how many people would expect the third party cookie blocking setting to have exceptions since we're not trying to make it seem like it does, but I suspect not many since you have to have a lot of mental context to even know what is or isn't a third party cookie at any given time.  Like, how would you know where the cookies in that list won't be allowed?  I mean yes, they won't be allowed anywhere except when you're actually on those sites, but you also don't know what other sites do or don't try to use them as third party cookies, so it's impossible to list everywhere they won't be allowed (in other words, all the exceptions to that list).  

"Added a management policy to manage the Smart Actions Block List, which prevents certain context menu actions from being available, and for Windows Hello For HTTP Auth Enabled to control whether or not the basic credential prompt appears for NTLM or Negotiate. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet."

--> Where and how to follow status of these templates and documentation?

@josh_bodner

Spoiler
just to be clear, were they ever working at any point and then stopped? 

No, the notifications never worked, only browser extensions notification like (Pi reminder, notifications for Gmail) and a website like (Deezer) when the next song start play, they send me a push notification with the name of the song

moghaazi_2-1612352364828.png

Spoiler
It's also possible that another setting is affecting this, so have you recently changed 

I enabled those two options, but even before that the problem with existing

moghaazi_3-1612352666122.png

Spoiler
any Edge System settings like to allow Edge to run in the background

I enabled MS Edge notification in Ubuntu

moghaazi_4-1612352861836.png

Is there a way you can control my browser remotely and see it yourself?

@josh_bodner Credit where due pop up blocks are now resolved for D365 yey! this makes me so happy, I have put so much time into this browser keep up the good work please pass on the thanks :) 

Thank you! @josh_bodner 

I am especially excited to see the improved speech recognition. The text to speech is already much better than Google Chrome, and now the speech recognition seems to work even better as well in English. I am waiting on other languages for speech recognition. I did test English and Spanish, but Chinese doesn't seem to work yet. I am sure it will come.

Thank you for your awesome work!