Dev channel update to 89.0.774.4 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.774.4 to the Dev channel.  This is the last build for version 89, and is what we plan on shipping to Beta next week, give or take a couple of small updates later this week.  Since it’s the end of the release, we’ve got lots of exciting things to talk about!   

As for everything new in the browser this week: 

Added features: 

• Added an option to add the current page to a Collection when right-clicking on that Collection in the list of Collections. 
  • Improved performance of Read Aloud in PDFs. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when closing Edge. 
  • Fixed a crash on Mac when closing the notification that Edge is updating. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating back and forth in an IE mode tab. 
  • Fixed a crash for vertical tabs users when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when right-clicking. 
  • Fixed a crash when autofilling payment information into a webpage. 
  • Fixed an issue where unsaved annotations on a PDF aren’t recovered when Edge’s session is restored after a crash or unexpected close. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud doesn’t work. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes fills in fields it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where Immersive Reader sometimes doesn’t read all the content that it should. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling the vertical tabs pane using a touchscreen sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings look like they can be edited while they’re turned off, but the edits aren’t remembered. 
  • Fixed an issue where downloading a file in a website installed as an app gives no indication that the download has started or finished. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites, when installed as apps, show their window color and certain UI in the website’s custom color when they shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Shopping icon advertises that it has coupons available, but when the flyout is opened, it says there are none. 

Known issues: 

• Copying the URL of certain websites like Youtube is crashing the browser for some Canary and Dev users.  We’re working to make sure this gets fixed before it makes it to Beta. 
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

With 89 moving to Beta next week, look for version 90 to start in Dev then too. 

54 Replies
The history synchronization is already in the stable version of the browser. This feature is also available in the mobile apps (iOS & Android). If you still don't have it, this is a bug and you should report it via the feedback feature.

@Deleted, Microsoft issued a patch yesterday to the stable version, and I now have it on my Windows 10 devices. Unfortunately, things are now broken with sync on my Intel Macs (M1 Macs are fine), so that's something else to fix. I've already submitted help tickets re: this.

I wanted to point out that sync is fine on macOS, but you may need to take some steps to fix it. In my case, I had to remove all of the Microsoft account related entries in my Mac's keychain app (Keychain Access.app), and I did it in both the "login" and "Local Items" keychains. Once I did that, I was able to sign into Edge and sync on my Macs. However, I've been using various versions of Edge (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary) on my Macs since the very first dev release of Edge for macOS, and until version 88, I never had this problem.

I seem to be running into a strange problem with version 89.0.774.8

Every time I browse to google.com.au, type something in the search box and hit "enter", edge would crash on me.

I have uploaded the behaviour as a video below. Any suggestions?

@Mark Chan 

Hi,

please go to edge://crashes/

identify the crash item that is related to this, click on "submit feedback" button on it, then in the feedback window explain what happened that resulted in the crash (just like you did in this post), you can also attach this video file to your feedback from attachments.

Thank you

@HotCakeX I don't believe this is limited to the History flyout. The entire app is sluggish and slow. Tab transitions (switching or opening a new one), general opening the app and viewing the default tab screen (Informational View for me), opening settings, collections, etc. are all slow in this dev release. I happen to be running this on a Surface Pro 7 Core i7, and Win10 Dev Channel 21301 build. Edge didn't have this issue prior to these two builds.

Thanks, Done. Hopefully it will be looked at.

2-2-2021 update broke the scrolling further. Now for a moment, scrolling works normal, and then scrolling becomes so painfully slow, that it makes me want to close edge and use other browser.
This build has been crashing so much, never had this many problems with Edge Dev before. Suddenly the browser just becomes unresponsive and crash. Any site, at any point.

@HotCakeX password generation not being offered on many pages is a big issue we're trying to tackle right now.  We're using machine learning to figure out what actually is a sign up page since it's not like there's any standard for them, but to help fill in the gaps, we've got a form here that anybody can fill out if they run into a site that it isn't triggering for:  https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR123cdFSKdZItI7mcVwhTx1UM1FN...  

@ethanmenzel vertical tabs aren't enabled on any platform in full-screen yet since we're still determining, among other things, the interaction that would make the most sense.  

@Deleted we're actively listening to feedback from people who want the "pinned" state of the menus to be remembered, so if you (and everybody else who wants it) haven't yet, make sure you file feedback in the browser telling us that since that will help us get an accurate count of how many people want it.  

@rjchung the ability to name a window was an experimental feature that came from Chromium, and it appears to have been turned off.  

@Bradley_King is this still broken for you after today's Dev update?  Some people are reporting that this is fixed for them now, so it would be good to know if it's not for you.  

@foo_bar is this still happening after today's Dev update?  

@yoSachin today's Dev update had a fix specifically for scrolling.  Did that make any difference?  

@Henno_Keers a lot of the "edge windows becoming black" problems were caused by bad graphics drivers, and as the drivers got rolled out to more and more people, we got fewer reports of this.  However, since there was never an actual fix for it on our end, there was nothing for me to mention in the release notes.  

@Nicolas_Berard If you haven't already, can you send feedback from within the browser and make sure that screenshot is in there?  That'll get a bug created in our system for it.  

@Mark Chan we fixed a different bug in today's Dev update where copying something out of the address bar crashes Edge, so after installing today's update, are you still seeing your crash?  

@eric_sjoberg The known issue about copying a URL out of the address bar crashing Edge was fixed in today's Dev update.  Are you still seeing crashes after installing it?