Dev channel update to 89.0.774.4 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.774.4 to the Dev channel.  This is the last build for version 89, and is what we plan on shipping to Beta next week, give or take a couple of small updates later this week.  Since it’s the end of the release, we’ve got lots of exciting things to talk about!   

As for everything new in the browser this week: 

Added features: 

• Added an option to add the current page to a Collection when right-clicking on that Collection in the list of Collections. 
  • Improved performance of Read Aloud in PDFs. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when closing Edge. 
  • Fixed a crash on Mac when closing the notification that Edge is updating. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating back and forth in an IE mode tab. 
  • Fixed a crash for vertical tabs users when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when right-clicking. 
  • Fixed a crash when autofilling payment information into a webpage. 
  • Fixed an issue where unsaved annotations on a PDF aren’t recovered when Edge’s session is restored after a crash or unexpected close. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud doesn’t work. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes fills in fields it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where Immersive Reader sometimes doesn’t read all the content that it should. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling the vertical tabs pane using a touchscreen sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings look like they can be edited while they’re turned off, but the edits aren’t remembered. 
  • Fixed an issue where downloading a file in a website installed as an app gives no indication that the download has started or finished. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites, when installed as apps, show their window color and certain UI in the website’s custom color when they shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Shopping icon advertises that it has coupons available, but when the flyout is opened, it says there are none. 

Known issues: 

• Copying the URL of certain websites like Youtube is crashing the browser for some Canary and Dev users.  We’re working to make sure this gets fixed before it makes it to Beta. 
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

With 89 moving to Beta next week, look for version 90 to start in Dev then too. 

54 Replies
Good stuff, thank you!
love the password monitor and password generator, but one big problem is that the secure password generator is not offered on all websites, in fact only very few of websites or CMS, are supported. even popular websites are not supported, such as Facebook.

have sent feedback before and also send feedback for individual websites, not sure which one is more useful.

also the strong password generator during sign up Needs to work, even when there is already a set of credentials saved for that website.

When will history and tab sync be available for Edge Stable on Windows? It's available on macOS and iOS, but not Windows?

Is there any ETA for sign-in support on Linux?

@josh_bodner 

REMINDER TO PLEASE ADD VERTICAL TABS TO MACOS WITHIN EDGE WHEN IN FULL-SCREEN MODE.

@ethanmenzel I think you forgot the maj key. :xd:

in my cas it's available on windows one week before ios. maybe try deconnection - reconnection
Ist es möglich eine Option einzubauen um die Flyou Menüs immer als Seitenleiste anzeigen zu lassen? Für mich ist eine Seitenleiste wie beim Edge Legacy praktischer und für andere auch. Man muss die Flyouts ja nicht wieder abschaffen. Eine Option um sie immer als Seitenleiste einzublenden würde reichen. Das Anheften ist zwar nett aber auch nervig, wenn man bei jedem öffnen der Sammlungen, Favoriten und mehr diese erst anheften muss. So macht das Nutzen dieser Funktionen auf Dauer keinen Spaß.
This ↑
remembering pinned states of flyouts, 100% agree

@josh_bodner 

Would be nice to adjust icon colors if "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" flag is used - icons/pictogramms are invisible in Settings and PDFViewer

Any idea on how to name a window in MacOS?  It used to be an option under the "Window" pulldown, but since 89.0.767.0 last week the "Name Window" option is gone.  I've tried looking for it in different places like right clicking the title bar, going through options, the menus, the 3 dots menu but I can't find it anywhere.  Is this no longer an option?

I swear it was there before 89.0.767.0 under the "Window" menu bar - I know I've used it before because I have some windows which still have custom names - but can no longer find it!

I did submit feedback last week about this issue.

@josh_bodner 

A couple more keyboard shortcuts for collections would be awesome. While the whole concept of collections is a huge differentiator from the competition and is amazing, the clickfest is highly distracting.

KB shortcuts for "Add mouseover/selection/page to collections" and collections quick search would be much appreciated. 

@josh_bodner - please resolve pop up blockers when using Dynamics 365 I am unable to use this build until resolved moving to another browser until resolved as 100% stops me achieve my work

@josh_bodner I had reported earlier about Edge crashing during Windows shutdown due to which it showed "Restore pages" dialogue box at its next first launch. It has started happening again since the update before this one.

scrolling still feels like as in the old chrome. Even this update didn't fix anything.

@josh_bodner 
This article makes it sound like History Sync should be available for everyone in Beta, Dev and Canary, is that correct?

None of my Windows systems with Beta seem to be able to enable History Sync still :( 

Also curious if there are any updates on the painful performance for the History and Favorites menus?

History has gotten even worse if anything.  3-4 seconds just to draw the menu on a Core i7 system with 100 meg fiber internet. Painful :(  This can't be the final design can it?

@josh_bodner Profile Sync is available on Apple Silicon but still not Linux? Why?

I agree opening history flyouts takes 3-4 seconds.
the favorites flyout on the other hand got so much faster, at least on Edge stable.

I have a suggestion to make History flyout open faster too. so i observed that if history sync is off, history flyout opens in less than 1 second, so the delay is caused by the sync and probably by the fact that history flyout is checking for latest history entries before showing it to the user.

i think history flyout should open quickly in less than 1 second before checking for new entries, it shouldn't keep user waiting, staring at a blank flyout.
and once it's open, then quickly check if there is any updates. and for doing that it should use a large portion of user's Internet bandwidth to do this task as fast as it can.
@josh_bodner I cannot find the known issue " Edge windows becoming all black" under the fixed ones... is ti fixed in version 88 or 89?

The add profile button is cut in French and probably for other languages.