Dev channel update to 89.0.752.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.752.1 to the Dev channel, and it’s a pretty quiet update.  The biggest news is for our Mac users:  following our news in the last update about native builds for Mac ARM chips for Canary, we’re happy to announce that Dev builds are also now available with native builds for Mac ARM chips.  For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-native-app-support-in-canary-amp-dev-...

Additionally, we’ve got news about an upcoming setting:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/turn-off-f12-opening-devtools-with-new-edge-setting/....  As for everything that’s new in the product this week: 

Added features: 

• Added an option to Share, Copy and Paste Settings to disable enhanced link copying for links on webpages. 
  • Added filtering capability to Price Comparison. 
  • Added an icon to the PDF toolbar for Find On Page. 
  • Added support for verifying digital signatures of PDFs on Mac.  Note that this feature is still behind a flag. 
  • Finished rolling out Sleeping Tabs.  For more details, see https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/12/09/sleeping-tabs-beta-performance/

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when opening Edge.
  • Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when Edge has an update ready to install. 
  • Fixed a crash when selecting text in a PDF. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting text in a PDF sometimes crashes it. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing something as a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Web Capture. 
  • Fixed a hang when using Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes randomly hangs. 

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily disabled Single Sign-On on Mac in order to fix failures when signing into certain websites. 
  • Disabled Share on Windows Server.  Note that this is because Share isn’t functional on Windows Server.  
  • Fixed an issue where pages viewed in Immersive Reader sometimes appear to be insecure even though they were originally loaded over a secure connection. 
  • Fixed an issue where unplugging a monitor that an Edge window is on sometimes doesn’t automatically move the window onto a remaining monitor. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain buttons in the Cookies In Use dialog don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where Sleeping Tabs aren’t put back to sleep when an Edge session is restored. 
  • Fixed an issue where some anti-virus programs trigger a warning when viewing Edge Settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to invoke Web Capture sometimes overrides website keyboard shortcuts. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites sometimes can’t prompt users to ask for permission, for example permission to show a notification. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling a PDF using touch sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting words in PDFs sometimes results in more characters being selected than intended. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t open when Edge is set as the default PDF viewer.  
  • Fixed an issue where password-protected PDFs sometimes don’t open. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t scroll using the middle mouse button. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing using the “Save as PDF” option sometimes causes the save dialog to appear twice. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac OS 11 where Shy UI is sometimes partially occluded by a toolbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where installing a website as an app sometimes shows a dialog that says “Pin to taskbar” instead of install. 

Known issues: 

• Tab drag and drop is broken for vertical tabs. 
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks for everything, and happy new year!  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/happy-holidays-and-happy-new-year-from-the-micros...

37 Replies

@Migue333

Same. It happens every time I scroll up or down. 

@josh_bodner 

This update has killed it for me!

ALL YouTube videos are now unwatchable. Terrible horizontal slicing going on in all resolutions.

Scrolling is causing screen tearing.

I'm sorry, but this browser is going backwards and getting worse with each update.

Nothing is going backwards. things don't always go well and bug-free in insider channels, that's the whole point of them and main difference between insider channel and Stable channel.

Dev channel is for testing purposes, usually by web developers to try the new upcoming standards, that's the official use case for it.
Canary is primarily for enthusiasts.

none of these are supposed to be used as main daily browser, even though many users do it anyway and eventually they forget what they are using so they begin to expect everything should be working 100%.

I use Canary as my main browser but i never forget what I'm using. if a problem arises that i can't solve on my own, I submit feedback about it, and while waiting for the next update to fix it, i just use Edge stable.

Some people complaining in dev channel. LOLed.

@Limyx826 This is noted in their known issues as "Tab drag and drop is broken for vertical tabs". I was bummed too and actually reported this via Feedback before I realized it was a known issue.

However, as a workaround, you can use extensions such as Cluster, Tab Manager Plus, or Tabli to reorder the tabs.

@FandyDiadline 

You may well 'lol'

And personally, I don't care.

Dev or not, it has gone backwards. The problems with YouTube videos that were introduced back in October haven't been addressed. The last update has now ruined ALL YouTube video playback. Scrolling on this browser has gotten worse and worse as time has gone by.

If a dev browser has become unusable due to poor development, then the development team are not doing their jobs properly.

I know exactly how development goes as I have been part of it on different types of projects in the past.

When I first jumped onboard with this browser, it was nippy and nice to use. It is a far cry from that now. As a whole, Edge Chromium has gotten sluggish, lethargic and more and more bloated. Memory usage has rocketed too!

I came to this browser to get away from the likes of Google Chrome, but as it stands now, it has gone down the exact same path. I hate to say it, but Edge Chromium has been ruined.

You or anyone else can try to defend it, but it is the bitter truth.

@josh_bodner Running on Dell Inspiron 77706 2n1 MX350 using Ubuntu 20.10.

Read Aloud does not seem to work for me after the last update. I can't pin it to that exact time, but it does not work today in any case.

No problems with YouTube videos for me, like others have reported.

Biggest problem has been:

Hmmm… can't reach this page

Tried disabling IPv6 and this problem may have improved, but not resolved.

That's really just your opinion, which is respected, but doesn't necessarily correspond to the truth.
if Dev is bothering you, switch to Beta channel, or even better, use the stable channel. you say it like Dev is the only channel you can use.
if you can't stand intermittent bugs that come and go in Dev channel then it's a sign that it's not the right channel for you.
and if you like Google chrome then use Google chrome and enjoy it.

@Migue333 I'm asking the team about the screen tearing.  I'm also curious if anybody who's experiencing it can get the same thing to happen in current Chrome Canary or Chrome Dev builds.  

@FandyDiadline I've seen other reports of this, and am following up with the video team.  

I don't see any mention of spellcheck in your release notes, and I no longer see the options at edge://settings/languages.

@Noel Burgess this should be fixed in next week's dev!

@deckerp are all Read Aloud voices failing, or can you change the voice to get it to work?  

@keeganwitt 

You're right about it. I thought that known issue is reference another issue. Well glad they are aware of this bug ahead of time. Anyway additional feedback is good for the devs too. 

@josh_bodner 

Thanks. I noticed the options are back in 760; now to see what they changed ...

@josh_bodnerI've tried a few different male/female/english(US/UK/AU) voices and all fail. There is no error, it's just silent.

I looked again today and none of the voices I tried worked. It isn't just that I couldn't hear them either. The text being read aloud is normally highlighted as it's being read. None of the text is highlighted. There is a little blue waveform animation in the upper left corner beside the text "Read aloud" (also in blue). The text of the web page is shown grayed out and none of it is ever highlighted or read out loud.

I'm guessing it needs to download something for the voice and that part fails. Maybe the text is rendered into audio on a remote server and then downloaded and played, but that fails. 

@deckerp Do you have tracking prevention set to Strict by any chance?  There's a known bug where setting it to Strict prevents any of the online voices from working, but the ones without Online in their name should still work.  Perhaps that's what you're running into?  

@josh_bodnerThat was it. I don't recall turning Strict on, but it was. When I reverted to Balanced it worked again.

Thanks.